IGNORED

New Enough Tourmaster Riding Gear - Armor Question

RoadKill

I just received, a couple days ago my purchase from New Enough. I bought the Venture Air Mesh pants and Intake Air Series 2 Jacket. I am very pleased with New Enough's prices and shipping. Ordered it on Friday morning, got it on Tuesday.

Also very pleased with my selection. Both jacket and pants have windproof/waterproof layer and a quilted insulated liner, as well as multiple sections of Armor and padding. The liners can be utilized together or seperately in any configuration or they can we worn without any liners. Its really working well for me as I can wear the liners when I leave at 3:30am for work, 55 degrees and then ride home with just the mesh when its reached 80+.

If I had any complaint I guess it would be that the items do not store very compactly. I have to take the jacket in because it won't compress down small enough to fit in the bags or trunk along with the other things I carry. This wasn't a problem with my leathers. It seems to be the Armor that is causing the issue. So here is my question: Does the Armor really add significant protection or could you take it out?

Thanks for the info/opinions in advance.

Jay

I just received, a couple days ago my purchase from New Enough. I bought the Venture Air Mesh pants and Intake Air Series 2 Jacket. I am very pleased with New Enough's prices and shipping. Ordered it on Friday morning, got it on Tuesday.

Also very pleased with my selection. Both jacket and pants have windproof/waterproof layer and a quilted insulated liner, as well as multiple sections of Armor and padding. The liners can be utilized together or seperately in any configuration or they can we worn without any liners. Its really working well for me as I can wear the liners when I leave at 3:30am for work, 55 degrees and then ride home with just the mesh when its reached 80+.

If I had any complaint I guess it would be that the items do not store very compactly. I have to take the jacket in because it won't compress down small enough to fit in the bags or trunk along with the other things I carry. This wasn't a problem with my leathers. It seems to be the Armor that is causing the issue. So here is my question: Does the Armor really add significant protection or could you take it out?

Jay

Should be able to take the padding out. I would think that the padding helps substantially and wouldn't want to test it without it. To me, any advantage over the hard road is a good thing.

Could see how easily it comes out and see if you want to take it out to store it separately and then put it back when needed, or if it's too much of a hassle to do that.

The armor adds protection, but the manufacturers do not tell you the level provided. They like to say "CE" approved armor, not the level 1, 2 or 3 (highest). The back pads in your jacket are not CE approved according to the description. Also, back pads offer the most dubious protection and in some places are not even recommended. If space is tight and it could fit without the back pad, you might want to consider this option. Most armor is removable.

Hey Roadkill,

That is the exact same coat that I'm thinking of getting. Let us know how it does keeping you cool in the hot weather.

Well so far its been great. I put it on before I walked to the bike leaving work yesterday and I was actually chilled from the air passing through. Then on the trip to my Mom's from work I was extremely comfortable. Didn't have the pants on, just the jacket. Thinking of wearing the pants over shorts on those really hot days. I'm sure at 90+ and 90% humidity you will still be hot. But I think I'm going to like it alot!

I bought the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 jacket from New Enough this spring. I love it!

The mesh does keep me cooler than bare arms in the direct sunshine. You don't want to stop for very long without taking it off, though. I have 1500 miles on the jacket now. When it is 90 degrees out in the sun, the jacket does'nt make it cooler, but when moving it helps. Kinda like sitting under a shade tree in the heat-- it's still hot, but the sun isn't burning you.

The armor comes out, but it is not easy to get out. not something you want to do often. I removed the back padding/protector because it did not fit in the bags well. I also removed the shoulder pads. I left the elbow pads in for at least some protection.

It has a zip in waterproof lining. This spring the jacket with liner, with a short sleeve shirt under it, was comfortable to about 48 degrees at highway speeds. 50 and below is now where I switch to leather.

opinion--

great jacket

New Enough.com great service, excellent price.

Guest JGorom
So here is my question: Does the Armor really add significant protection or could you take it out?

Jay

Hey Jay...It's only important if you dump your bike. But seriously...I have taken some of the armor out of my jacket...and it will hurt if I go down and land or skid on a section of clothing where I took it out.

If I had any complaint I guess it would be that the items do not store very compactly. I have to take the jacket in because it won't compress down small enough to fit in the bags or trunk along with the other things I carry. This wasn't a problem with my leathers.

Sounds like you might also need a trailer also to haul all that armor. Sorry Jay...I couldn't resist that one...it's been a long hard day for me...please forgive me...for I know not what I do here.

Sounds like you might also need a trailer also to haul all that armor. Sorry Jay...I couldn't resist that one...it's been a long hard day for me...please forgive me...for I know not what I do here.

Been telling the mistress of finance that for 2 years so I will tell you say so too! :rotf:I'm sure that will make the difference.:rasberry:

So far I've only found that the knee armour on the pants is truly removeable, but really haven't had time to look alot.

Try to clean junk from sadlebags, and trunk. I Can fit 2 tour master Pivot jackets with armor in trunk only. Ventire pants with armor will fit in sadlebag. They are little bulki, but that's a price for protection. sometime, i use bungee net ,a nd secure jacket or pants on passanger sit, or logage rack.

• 4 months later...
When I crashed all my broken ribs where in the back. I won't ride very far without armor in the back area now.

I crashed also in July and busted 4 ribs on my left side. My Doc steered me to a Rib Protector made by ADAMS. Now my ribs on both sides are well protected. The rib protector will do more for you than armor in the back.;)

I have the same outfit, and not sure how much you are carrying but I fold the jacket up and put it in my side bag all the the time. I manage in one side bag to get all 4 liners, a small first aid kit, a small tool kit, several microfiber rags, and a bunch of real small stuff like zip-lock bags, rubber bands, zip ties and stuff, then add my jacket and Zumo 550 when I stop.

I love the jacket, prior to this one used several depending on the weather and it was a real pain on a trip.

• 1 month later...

The reason I am reading this thread is result of googling TOUR MASTER VENTURE AIR MOTORCYCLE PANTS.

I am 4 1/2 weeks from a slide on the asphalt. My leathers & helmet saved my skin 360 all around. Only tear in jacket was double stitched seam @ right elbow but no rash to elbow. Something penetrated my Left elbow but jacket is OK there. Armor @ the leather elbows would have pevented my puncture wound and prevented both elbows from hurting so bad from the impact & turning several different colors this past month!

Both my legs had extensive road rash but the knees got the worst. I am still bandaging the right knee.

My new ankle high "riding" boots were NOT at all adequate since I have a busted up left foot because the boot got ripped off!

I ordered a black/white leather "racing" jacket with armor and it looks great! But it is going back. Not 1 seam is double stitched. I set both jackets together and see where the new one might fail me some unfortunate day and maybe even worse and it weights a ton!

Now I have a Tourmaster summer weight air mesh with armor and liners on the way & was looking at several air mesh over-pants. Just want to stay away from any polyester/plastic products which will melt into the skin - and there are lots of those out there too!

As I sit here on my butt and read and read and read and search I am upgrading all my riding gear and will be using the ARMOR!

Having had an accident a few years ago, thrown from the bike at 45 mph, I would not recommend removing any armor from your gear. After all that's the entire point of riding gear, optimum protection from weather and road. I also have the Tourmaster Intake for warm weather plus an armored leather jacket for cold weather. It all fits into the left saddlebag along with my bungee cords. The trunk and right saddlebag is for everything else. Mostly my wife's essentials. :happy34: Anyway, I really recommend making room for all the armor, instead of wishing it was there while flying through pitch black space wondering when and on what I will land on.

Dave

From a rider who used to refuse to wear a helmet or safety clothes, I say dress for the crash and ride longer. Those pads offer protection. As said, the foam back pad may not be the best crash protection, but its better than the jacket alone.

Ride Safe Bro.