IGNORED

Scuff marks on the saddle bag

Maritimer

I took my grand daughter on a toy drive this past weekend. Beautifull weekend and great ride. Around 200 bikes of all makes and models. Great turn out.

Anyway, I had the intercom set up on her helmet but she is not really tall at 9 years old and I did not notice the cord from her head set was dragging on the bag cover. This caused a scuff mark approx 1/2" wide by 4" long across the width of the cover.

Is there anyway to get rid of that?:confused24: (not looking for a paint job here LOL):whistling:

Thanks all.

If it is just a scuff mark instead of deep scratches that you can feel with your fingernail, you should be able to easily polish it out with mild polishing compound. One of my favorites is Kit brand Scratch Out. Don't try it by hand - you will need either a foam pad or wool pad on an electric drill if you don't have a real orbital polisher. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hey Maritimer,

Glad you enjoyed the ride. It was a great day. It was one of the biggest turnouts ever.

I got some stuff from the little auto parts store just past MacDonalds on the Northside of Fredericton. I forget the name right now and I'm in PEI. I will check it when I get home Thursday or Friday and let you know. It works really good on swirls and scuffs.

John

I took my grand daughter on a toy drive this past weekend. Beautifull weekend and great ride. Around 200 bikes of all makes and models. Great turn out.

Anyway, I had the intercom set up on her helmet but she is not really tall at 9 years old and I did not notice the cord from her head set was dragging on the bag cover. This caused a scuff mark approx 1/2" wide by 4" long across the width of the cover.

Is there anyway to get rid of that?:confused24: (not looking for a paint job here LOL):whistling:

Thanks all.

I hope you can get the "scuff" mark off your bike, I have a midnight and I use S100 (I get it at the Harley Dealer). Anyway it works well.:080402gudl_prv:

Got to say though, if you cant get the scuff out of the paint, I think "road scars" from time with your grand daughter would be perfectly acceptable! I'm sure you do to!

Gene-b

I think "road scars" from time with your grand daughter would be perfectly acceptable! I'm sure you do to!

Gene-b

That was a really great way to get "road scars" for sure. She and I both enjoyed the ride and this is really not an outrageous price to pay to see the light she had in her eyes from this ride.

Tx John. I will take a spin on the North side and see if I can get that. I know a couple of fellas on base with RSVs maybe we can get a ride together sometimes. I have a cottage near Pugwash we could use as a pit stop.

Cheers

Everyone be careful when picking something to remove these types of marks. You don't want anything marked "compound" and I would stay away from stuff labled "scratch remover".

Actually, you want something that is called Glaze or Polish for very fine scratches. These are not exact terms and quality and effectiveness can vary.

One way to go is to use a "cleaner/wax" like Johnson's Kit or Turtle Wax. Now I run a small detailing products business and don't sell these products or recommend them for regular waxing, but they do include a fine polish and can remove fine scratches very well if you don't have the correct individual products.

For regular waxing, once the finish looks right, and I recommend a glaze for this, you want a pure wax, and you can go with either a quality Carnauba or the newer polymers.

A true glaze or polish has zero paint protection properties, it just enhances shine.

If your finish already looks good, stay away from anything that says it removes oxidation or paint problems, it isn't needed and will add wear that isn't necessary.

Also, traditional "chrome polish" can have very harsh abrasives to remove rust from very old chrome. Better to use a specific chrome wax or newer product designed to just protect and clean chrome rather than remove rust....Unless you WANT to remove rust, and then use a rust remover product ONLY in the area with the rust, because it has very harsh abrasives!

Thanks all.

Try some Maguire Scratch X works great for me, any auto parts or department store will probably have it.

I have had some marks on the trunk as well. I used a 3M product called Finnesse (sp?) It's not cheap, and needs a good buffer, they recommend a high speed buffer, but I used a slower one. It won't harm the clear coat and did take out the marks.