IGNORED

Clean a gas tank?

jonesy

81 Honda cm400t, been sitting since '84, inside has a tar look to it, gas doesn't drain from shutoff hole at all. even with shutoff valve off. Any help on cleaning inside of tank appreciated. Shoved rubber tube up the hole, must have inch of tar like stuff blocking hole. Anything I can put in tank to desolve that stuff?

I would go with the camp fuel, lacquer thinner, acetone or other solvent you may have at hand. Plan old Tide laundry soap works good too but getting all out can be a hassle. It is much cheaper than Seafoam. I would save the Seafoam or Berrymans B-12 for the final cleaning. You can put some 1/4" nuts in the tank and shake it around to help break the gunk up. Be careful not to get too carried away as you can dent the tank from the inside if you shake violently where the nuts hit where there is no fluid. Rod

Seafoam is that the brand name, who carries it,

Seafoam is HERE and like rod stated, use it for the final clean up as it is rather expensive.

You can get it a most autoparts stores, marinas but the best price is usualy at WalMart type stores in the automotive section.

coleman fuel will that work.

Camp fuel is mostly Naphtha, with some stabilazers added for long shelf life (Cyclorhexane and n-Haxane, Xylen and Ethlbenzene). It is easly obtainalbe anywhere and is retalativey inexpensive compared to some of the alternatives. It makes a good solvant.

Check your hardware store for Naphtha. It might be less expenseive.

Do I need to let tank just sit with that stuff in it, empty and fill with gas? Or run it with stuff in tank. [/QUOTe]

You will have to let the sovant desolve the solids that are deposited on the fuel tank.

Dont forget that the same gunk is in rest of the fuel system!!!!!!

I cleaned many fuel tanks on antique tractors. Get the major portion out with any of the solvents mentioned above. Afte that use HOT soapy water and let dry. If you can get some #6 shot for shotgun shells this works well. a piece of tape over the shutoff valve opening keeps then from running out. Using some air once in a while lets you inspect inside with a light. If there is any rust I recommend a gas tank lined be applied after it is cleaned and washed out adn dried thoroughly. You will get a work out by shaking to work the shot around.

Good Luck

The product most people use is called Kreem, but there are other products on the market.

http://www.usa-ps.com/osc/images/kreem-combo-pack.jpg

Regrettably I could not find the manufacturer's web page but I did find an interesting write up at EBay's guide pages..... Click HERE to read it. Search the internet for more instructions.

Check your local bike shops for it, to save on shipping and to support you local retailer!!!!!

I used it in the tank on my 1950 H-D FL and am quite pleased with the results.

I thinkin'... If the tank has an inch thick of goo at the bottom, and it is cutting off the fuel flow, that's way too much goo than would have been created by one tank of fuel evaporating. I wonder if a previous didn't dump a tank sealer mix in the tank while it was still on the bike to get rid of rust and it didn't work and settled to the bottom?? I'd see if some of the gunk could be scraped off with a long screwdrive and then testing to see which chem will work the best at removal.... Maybe get a good look at what the stuff really is??

Got fuel to flow thur tank today. soaked petcock with thinner, drained tank and ran water under pressure into it, got all kinds of gok from it, thinner came out brown, going to let more thinner sit in it, then will do regular tank cleaner and reliner treatment. Will have to do carb cleaning too.