Ok, so I was polishing the bike the other day when I come across a big crack in the lower fairing. It looks like a rock hit it. I am not a fan of the lower fairing as it keeps way too much of the engine heat on my legs and (in my opinion) looks out of place on the bike. My question is this: has anyone removed the fairing and replaced it with some beefier crash bars? I know that the air boxes and cruise controll are in them, but I really would like to remove them and I don't mind doing some modifications. I also think that those flimsy little crash bars that are there now will not do much good.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Ok, so I was polishing the bike the other day when I come across a big crack in the lower fairing. It looks like a rock hit it. I am not a fan of the lower fairing as it keeps way too much of the engine heat on my legs and (in my opinion) looks out of place on the bike. My question is this: has anyone removed the fairing and replaced it with some beefier crash bars? I know that the air boxes and cruise controll are in them, but I really would like to remove them and I don't mind doing some modifications. I also think that those flimsy little crash bars that are there now will not do much good.

Any thoughts are welcome.

If you have never had them off, then you should remove the cracked one and really take a look at what is behind them. You might change your mind. Just my thoughts, good luck.:confused24:

According to other posts that I've read, if you uncover the air boxes by removing the lower fairing, and leave the air boxes un-modified, you will ram too much air down the bike's throat at speed and she will quit on you. The air box openings face forward, so removing the lower fairing will put them directly into the wind stream.