IGNORED

Hooking up new battery and the motor starts turning over without hitting the start button, why?

Posted (edited)

Just went to get the 2007 RSV bike running again. Stored in my heated garage. The 2-year-old battery was completely dead. Put in the new battery and hooked up the positive, then went to hook up the negative and the bike starts turning over without hitting the start button.  I took out the ignition fuse and it still starts to turn over. Took out the key and it still starts to turn over. This was not the case went I put it in its storage spot. I have no idea what to do next. Any help would be appreciated again. Thank you.

Edited by Goris B Passchier

3 hours ago, Goris B Passchier said:

Just went to get the 2007 RSV bike running again. Stored in my heated garage. The 2-year-old battery was completely dead. Put in the new battery and hooked up the positive, then went to hook up the negative and the bike starts turning over without hitting the start button.  I took out the ignition fuse and it still starts to turn over. Took out the key and it still starts to turn over. This was not the case went I put it in its storage spot. I have no idea what to do next. Any help would be appreciated again. Thank you.

First make sure you have the positive (red wire) hooked to the positive post on the battery.

Then you'll need to find the solenoid for the starter, the battery red wire leads to it. Unhook the small wire from the solenoid  and then the red wire to the battery. If this works the way it should then I would dig into the ignition switch.

check the start button on the handle bars for a short in it or the wires connected to it. A good test for this would be to disconnect the small wire to the solenoid and the wires to the negative terminal of the battery but leave the positive ones attached and do an OHM test with a DVM  on that wire and the positive battery terminal and see what the readings are. If you get a open reading, push the starter button and see if it drops to almost zero ohms. then reconnect the negative cable to the battery and see if it still does it. if so, could be an issue with the solenoid and might need to replaced it.

You could also do the above test checking for voltage levels by changing your DVM and measuring is there is voltage present on the small wire to the solenoid by inserting the test lead to the connection in the wire and the negative battery terminal. Voltage present without the button pushed would indicate a short, but no voltage present would be an open till you pushed the starter button then you should have voltage present.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Rick F.