IGNORED

Wheel Bearing Recomendations

I thought I'd replace the bearings in the front axle before the trip to Idaho in a couple of weeks. I'm curious as to what type of B6303 bearing I should use. Brand?? Sealed?? Unsealed?? Deep Grove?? US..Japan..China??

If you remove the bearing and mic it Napa Auto Parts can match it with a sealed bearing for much cheaper than Yamaha.

I was going to do that. I just didn't want to stick a cheap bearing in there. Timkin, Toyo, are a couple of brands that I'm aware of but there could be others that are better. Another thing is, I see a seal listed in the parts schematic. Would I need to replace these if I went with a sealed bearing???

Hey Jack,

buy a Timken, Koyo, SKF, FAG Brand Bearing. I personnally think the Timken's are a bit shorter in overall Lifetime, but they will be fine also. Fully sealed Bearings of Course (ZZ Ending), nothing else. Stay away from chinese Bearings. The Price should not be that much of a Difference and a good Quality Brand Bearing will last a long Time. And it's good for the Economy of the western World.

Those Seals only work as a Dust Seal, you can resuse, if you get them out in reusable Condition. IF ....

Hey Jack,

buy a Timken, Koyo, SKF, FAG Brand Bearing. I personnally think the Timken's are a bit shorter in overall Lifetime, but they will be fine also. Fully sealed Bearings of Course (ZZ Ending), nothing else. Stay away from chinese Bearings. The Price should not be that much of a Difference and a good Quality Brand Bearing will last a long Time. And it's good for the Economy of the western World.

Those Seals only work as a Dust Seal, you can resuse, if you get them out in reusable Condition. IF ....

Thanks for the info Squeeze. I checked with the local NAPA store and they didn't have them in stock, and the brand wasn't anything I'd heard of before. So I ordered Timkins from my son-in-law. He manages a wholesale auto supply business and I get about half off retail. The price at NAPA was a little bit more, but if I had to order them I might as well go thru my SIL.....

I thought Timken bearings were made in Mexico now.

timken bearings are made in "Mexico, China, Russia, and Spain. any other countries that i missed?

i really can't think of anything in the line of "durable goods", that isn't made in another country.

we as a nation, are destined to "crawl on our hands and knees, begging for imports", in the very near future.

just jt

Most of the Timken high volume automotive sized bearings for the US market are made in Bucyrus, OH - with the steel produced in Canton, OH or Latrobe, PA. Other than consolidating volumes, Timken usually produces in the country of the market. There are exceptions - but usually.

Worked for them in a former lifetime.

RR