i was testing my friends horn on a 2000 venture, that was not working , i had to remove it from the mount which also had the battery grd wire attached in same place, went to start the bike and all i got was a sound like a low battery, well like a dummy i discovered i had not reattached the grd wire and was touching the frame but not connected, well i reattached the cable and turned the ignition key and it starts with out hitting the start button i do not know where to start ,, by the way this was an after market horn that had a relay i do not know if that had any thing to due with this problem,, thank ahead of time for the help.,, by the way it is a the yamaha shop and they cannot figure it out yet..

Tell the shop to remove the ground from the aftermarket horn wiring.I would suspect that it is backfeeding a ground to activate the starter silinoid. the only other thing I would look for is maybe one of the power wires for the horn is powering the small wire that goes to the starter silinoid.Have them start there if they cant figure it out have them call me on saturday at 9196735095

Jeff

well i went over to the yamaha dealer they said they check the start switch, kill swith and replaced the solenoid relay, amd the wireing behind the fareing, still have not located the problem,, so i am still with out my ride,

well i went over to the yamaha dealer they said they check the start switch, kill swith and replaced the solenoid relay, amd the wireing behind the fareing, still have not located the problem,, so i am still with out my ride,

Typical ... when they can't figgure it out ... start replacing things one by one until the problem is gone... You wind up paying for a whole lotta things you didn't need.

Sure sounds like the horn is somehow wired incorrectly.

From the starter relay, the blue wire has to ground for the relay to close and crank the starter. It appears somehow that wire is grounding without going through the starter button.

Unhook the connector at starter relay.....test blue wire for continuity to ground with key on.....if there is continuity, repeat test with horn wiring totally unhooked and wire ends insulated. If continuity is now lost......try pushing starter button......if continuity returns...it should start normally with connector reattached.

If continuity was still there after unhooking horn wiring, check the starter circuit cutoff relay for a short.

Just sounds like the horn or relay was tapped off the blue wire somewheres.

Ok this is an update on my 2000 venture,, apparently the wireing was shorted and went through the power amp, somehow they were able to isolate it and now can turn on the ignition with out it starting by itself, it now starts normally with the start button, so now i need to replace the amp power or power amp because it got fryed but the price is outrages to replace so if anybody has a good one from a parts bike or know how i may aquire one other than from yamaha i sure would appreciate it, the part number is 4xy88132-0100, also i would like to thank everybody for there help on this subject, this is a great site and a good bunch of people... you can call me also,,626 221 0408 also if there is a parts list and breakdown of the part and a website that would be nice, i do not know what this is or what it looks like,,, thanks again.

My husband said check ebay he saw a couple of 2nd gens being parted out a while ago. I just can't think of anywhere else to get parts off the top of my head. Good luck. Wish we could help but we only have 1st gens.

He also said check with your insurance company and find out what salvage yard they send bikes to. Might get one there. Might want to check if any other bikes have the same part might make it easier to find the part.

Margaret

I think I saw one at pinwall cycles website last night, follow the link off the right side of the forums page. Mine was giving me grief also but Ive decided to swap out all the equipment and go aftermarket marine equipment..

Brian:cool10::cool10:

...so now i need to replace the amp power or power amp because it got fryed but the price is outrages to replace so if anybody has a good one from a parts bike or know how i may aquire one other than from yamaha i sure would appreciate it, the part number is 4xy88132-0100, ... i do not know what this is or what it looks like,,, thanks again.

Is this what you are looking for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-Royal-Amplifier_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35594QQihZ017QQitemZ270245597835QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The part number seems to match. I hope it helps you.

Jerry

Edited by jarrejx
Forgot to include the link

I want to thank everybody for all the good advice on my problem, it turns out that the problem wound up to be in the audio power amp , the one in the front of the fairing, once they disconnected the amp the unit would work normally , i found a good used one from pinwall salvage for a little over 300 bucks and every thing is finally back to normal, what a lifesaver they were,, they hooked up the steble horn and said it would not be as loud because they did not go through a relay so where can i get a relay appearently that was bad too,,thanks too all again..