IGNORED

Still having clutch probs

Guest Dragon Snoot

Guest Dragon Snoot

With the help of some of you ( Rocket, danob ), I got my clutch tore out and started to put it back together. I decided I just needed to take it in and have everything looked at so after I put the stack back in but before new seal and cover was on I tried to start it with no luck. It actually acts as if you are trying to start it in gear, it just wont roll over at all. Plus the clutch lever is like a rock. Now obviously I didn't put something back together right but have no clue what it is. I put all the plates back in exactly the way they came out well I thought but probably not. Anyone have any ideas. I need to get it running so I can at least get it to the shop, too nice of weather for it just to be sitting in pieces in the garage. Thanks

By Chance, did you operate the Clutch Lever while the Plate Package was out of the Basket ?

If so, the hydraulic Slave Cylinder could be in full extended Position and because there was nothing which pushed the Piston back.

In that case, try to move the Mushroom shaped Piece towards the left Side of the Bike. You even may have to use a Hammer and a small piece of Wood and carefully work this Thing back in Place where it belongs. Don't open the Lid of the Mastercylinder during this, the Fluid will spray out of the Reservoir.

Other Things which would cause this, are the Rods which are moved by the Slave Cylinder. There's a long Rod which has a round and a more flatter End, the round End has to go to the Piston of the Slave, the flat End towards the Ball. The Ball contacts the shorter, mushroom shaped Rod which goes to the Pressure Plate.

The clutch is very sensitive as to how it's put back together. There are 2 notches that are on the clutch plates that all have to be aligned together and there is a specific location that it all sits in the clutch basket.

I dont know if you have a manual but if not I would invest in one as it outlines the procedure pretty well. My cell # is in my profile, call me and we can walk you through it if you can't get it going.

Double check to make sure that the gears are meshed behind the basket, and the spacer that is releaved on one side is on so the hogged out side is toward the block. MOF, take the thing completely out and put it back in with the book sitting next to you. Also, when you have the basket out, very gently, pull on the clutch lever with your finger over the end of the push rods. It you feel any movement at all your master and slave are OK. Also the pressure plate can be mounted out of alignment. Keep rotating it from hole to hole untill it seats all the way down on the disc pack. Don't ask me why I know all this.... :)