starriders777

I just replaced my Venoms with another new set of them, the old ones had 20,000 km's on them, could have taken them further, especially the front, if I had needed to. Great tires.

Finished a Memorial Weekend ride and can say that the Avons are keepers. I found myself almost putting my foot down several times when in a sever lean believing that it was going over but they stuck and had a solid feel to them. I will get another set when these wear out.

Moakster

Had a set of Yokohama on that didn't last a season, less than 8000 miles. Put the Avons on and probably have 4000 miles and can't see any wear to speak of. Even if the wear was comparable, the grip these tire provide along with the confidence that brings would be more than enough reason for me. I'll definitely buy more when I wear these out.

I am tired of repeating how wrong it is IMHO to run max pressure on these tires. Folks can look for the older posts, blindly swallow what others say, or just experiment themselves. I do wish, however, that those who insist on telling others to run max pressure would at least acknowledge in the same post that not everyone agrees. At least that way someone new will have an opportunity to see that they should look a bit further for a more rounded understanding of the issue.

I don't fault anyone for believing something different than I do, but they do others a disservice when they make an assertive statement of fact like that when they already know that other knowledgeable people have disagreed and even included reasons why in prior threads. Enough said. I am not going to continue the argument.

Goose

So, for those not running max pressure, do you just run on the manufacturer recommendations? Not stirring the pot here, just curious.

Since you asked . . .

I have found through pretty extensive testing and comparison that the RSV (BOTH of mine) handle poorly when the tires are overinflated. And "overinflated" is a relative term, as the proper pressure will change depending on the specific tire brand and current load; that is why Yamaha has different recommended pressures for solo and loaded. You can read some more of my comments in this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23168&highlight=pressure

Anyway, the biggest problem I find with overinflated tires on the RSV is that it feels skittish in long sweepers when the road surface is even a little rough or has a few bumps. With the Venoms, this is very pronounced for me when I am fully loaded and running 50 lbs in the rear. Dropping the pressure to 48 lbs completely solves that. When running solo and empty I don't notice any big problems at 48 lbs, but prefer to run between 44 and 46. But I am a big guy, weighing about 250, and I always have another 10 lbs or so of tools and crap in the saddlebag.

One final comment - I suspect the few people who have found they do NOT like the feel of the Avon tires may have caused the problem themselves by running too much air in them. No matter what I or others say, the best thing you can do is experiment yourself, starting with the vendor's recommended pressure (and check on what BOTH the bike manufacturer and the tire manufacturer recommend). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I am tired of repeating how wrong it is IMHO to run max pressure on these tires. Folks can look for the older posts, blindly swallow what others say, or just experiment themselves. I do wish, however, that those who insist on telling others to run max pressure would at least acknowledge in the same post that not everyone agrees. At least that way someone new will have an opportunity to see that they should look a bit further for a more rounded understanding of the issue.

I don't fault anyone for believing something different than I do, but they do others a disservice when they make an assertive statement of fact like that when they already know that other knowledgeable people have disagreed and even included reasons why in prior threads. Enough said. I am not going to continue the argument.

Goose

Goose is 100% right and is backed up by Avon on this. Not nessessary unless you tow or have max weight on the bike.