IGNORED

What to expect with new tires ???

Sterling Turner

I only have 5000 miles on my 07 RSV, I have read so many threads about the Bridgestone tires, none being good !!! I have these tires on my bike right now and they seem to be doing fine, but I have nothing to compare them to.

My question is...

What to expect from new/different brand tires ???

Is the dissatisfaction with Bridgestone, the mileage ? Poor handling ? What ???

And will I notice a big change in the handling of the bike ???

I think it rides and handles good now.... If it get any better, then WOW !!!!!

I have run the Dunlop 404..Was a good mileage tire,my complaint maybe due to the way they groove our roads in Texas is that the Dunlops follow the grooves giving a VERY uneasy feeling ,like a wobble,going thru them. I HAD to put on a set of Metzeler 880s due to a ride I had to go on starting that day,no choice, while they handled GREAT after 1700 miles I started chunking pieces of rubber from the rear tire.( I know some of you have had no trouble,but the majority here have had the same problem), I put Avons back on and I will NEVER change back to another tire,they hold good in the rain,corner fantastic,have a higher rating than any MC tire I know of,and just by touching the tire alone it seems to run cooler. (The metz if you touched the rear tire after running prolonged speeds of 75-80 were so hot you could not hold your hand on the tire it was so hot.) NOW, SOME on here do not like the Avons but I do and I again will never go back to any other tire. I als run the stock sizes which improved the handling hands down.I do not use leveling links neither. Just my opinion so all I can say is come to Texas and take mine out for the day if you want to try them. Tom ( I run the pressure indicated on the sidewall and have 6-7000 miles on this set and showing no wear.)

My problem with the Bridgestones is that they get VERY noise after you have few miles on them. The howling would drive me crazy. I also find that they do not grip nearly as well on wet roads. It would be my very last choice in tires.

Dosen't tire pressure have a lot to do with tire perfomance and how long they will last?? I have always gone with the bikes recomended pressures, I am not sure about pumping them up to max pressures. I would like to know more. I am also looking for better tires Thanks.

Wayne

Tire pressure listed on the tire is what you use. The bike listing is for the stock tire.

Sorry Sarge, but I completely and totally disagree with this. The manufacturer's recommended pressure is for any brand of tire in the stock size and weight/speed rating, but you don't need to be a slave to it. As long as you don't go OVER the pressure on the sidewall, and don't go UNDER the pressure in the owner's manual, I believe that choice of pressure is based only on what feels best to the individual doing the riding (and I would always suggest starting with manufacturer's recommendation). Even though I know many here continue to recommend running Avon's at max sidewall pressure, in my personal experience that is VERY wrong. The bike will handle MUCH better when fully loaded if the rear tire is under 48 lbs.

The bottom line is that you need to experiment and run the same test course several times to know what different pressures actually do for you in different tires. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I personally would be cautious go much over on the tire pressure. I took the Dunlop 404 my bike came with to 46 to see how it felt with a passenger. I forgot to drop it back down when I went off to work the next day. When a green light changed with me close enough to brake hard it locked up and I slid through a red light. A few miles later when a light turned green it spun big time off the line without even trying to launch hard. Even feathering the throttle it didn't want to hook up. I dropped the pressure back to the books number before the ride home. I think too much pressure reduces the contact patch and for me really turned dangerous.

Jerry