IGNORED

I wannanewscooter...WAAAAAAAA

Guest Snake

Guest Snake

Hi Guys... I'm thinking that it might be time to consider another scooter and would really appreciate input from everyone here...

About 3 and a half years ago, I made the decision to buy my 04 RSV midnight Venture after asking advise from/and participating in this very forum... I was a converted wing man...

After about 2 years of glory, I was forced to sell my Venture and go scooterless... I'll never be a kid again and knew when I sold it that it would be my last large bike... It was getting real difficult to handle the weight with 2 up at stop signs in West Virginia, where the roads suck and half the time the berm was eroded away...

My dilemma is this; I want another scooter but am not sure if a 750 Shadow, or 650 VStar will be enough bike for two in WV...(our combined weight would be 300#) I sat on a 2004 VStar 650 today and it felt so darned secure and light that I realized that I may still be able to get back on the road by fall if I can find something a bit smaller and less expensive...

What I'm asking is for advise, especially you old farts, and tips, any input of any type that you can think of, I'd appreciate... I'll be 69 next month and need to be back on the road before I'm 70.... HELLLLLPPPP!!! Thanks gang... Tom

Hi Guys... I'm thinking that it might be time to consider another scooter and would really appreciate input from everyone here...

About 3 and a half years ago, I made the decision to buy my 04 RSV midnight Venture after asking advise from/and participating in this very forum... I was a converted wing man...

After about 2 years of glory, I was forced to sell my Venture and go scooterless... I'll never be a kid again and knew when I sold it that it would be my last large bike... It was getting real difficult to handle the weight with 2 up at stop signs in West Virginia, where the roads suck and half the time the berm was eroded away...

My dilemma is this; I want another scooter but am not sure if a 750 Shadow, or 650 VStar will be enough bike for two in WV...(our combined weight would be 300#) I sat on a 2004 VStar 650 today and it felt so darned secure and light that I realized that I may still be able to get back on the road by fall if I can find something a bit smaller and less expensive...

What I'm asking is for advise, especially you old farts, and tips, any input of any type that you can think of, I'd appreciate... I'll be 69 next month and need to be back on the road before I'm 70.... HELLLLLPPPP!!! Thanks gang... Tom

i would move up to a vstar 1100, or a vstar 1300. reason being the 650, has spoked wheels and uses tube type tires, has a single front disc brake, and just not enough motor for highway riding. not a good choice for two up riding. i had an 1100 and now have a 1300. being an old fart with bad legs i had no problem with either of them. they both sit low and have great lowspeed handling. since you are used to a big bike i doubt if a 650 would cut it. another alternative would be a suzuki 650 burgman scooter. i have a 400 majesty and my wife and i ride it all over. i may go to a burgman when i can't handle my bikes anymore. bill

I had a Vstar 1100 before the RSV and found it to be a bit light for highway cruising. It mad a good town bike and was good for slow country road cruising but I found if tiring for anything over 200 miles. I would like to have a smaller bike for commuting and 1-up riding and I really like the Vstar 1300. If you can find a left over '07 you can get a real deal on one. There are some dealer incentives from Yamaha and my local dealer has a Silverado (windshield and bags) for $8500.

DT

I bought a new 650 Vstar in 2002.We rode that bike for 4 years all over the mountains of NC.I am 250 lb and my wife rode two up and never a problem.It is in no way a highway touring bike but a wonderful cruiser.Go for it.Wish I still had the 650 for local cruising.

Guest JGorom

300 lbs of total weight is not that much, if I were going to a smaller bike I would look at both the Suzuki VStrom (both the 650 and the 1000) and the Vstar 1300 that has already been mentioned. With the VStrom you can get some nice side cases and top case with a backrest that will set you up rather nicely without breaking the bank. The VStar is heavily discounted by many national dealers and is also a great value at these discounted prices.

I think all three of these offer excellent value while giving you great reliability, and all three can handle the 300 lbs. two up riding you mentioned rather well...although for long two up touring I would opt for either the VStrom 1000 or VStar 1300. In addition to providing you great value at a decent cost, all three are very good when it comes to the miles per gallon issue.

Good luck in whatever you decide, I've listed below a site that offers up owners opinions on the bikes they have purchased and rode, perhaps that may help you in narrowing down your choice.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list.asp

PS And as someone has already mentioned, scooters can be a viable alternative...the Suzuki Burgman and Honda Silverwing are 650 scooters that can keep up with the big boys and ride the interstates. The Burgman is perhaps the best built of the bunch at the moment.

I agree with the VStar 1300. Nice bike. Several years ago when I got back into riding after a short break, I stared with a Honda Shadow Ace 1100. They are really low on HP but my wife and I had no problem riding two up. It was a nice bike. If I were to go back to a bit smaller bike though, I would go with something with a bit more power and the VStar 1300 would be at the top of my list.

ok, I will add a comment from the dark side. The Harley line, Road King, Even the Ultra or Electra Glides are heavy bikes, but very well balanced with a low center of gravity. My Ultra is much easier to handle than the smaller Nomad.

Sounds to me that you could do well with a sport tourer. Less weight, gobs of power,and touring ability,with bags and a shield. Great looks too. Just don't blow by me like I'm sittin still on my RSV!! Good thing is that there really is alot of choices for ya. Like a kid in a candy store! Happy shopin and let us know what you ended up with. On a personal note,,,A 69 yr old on a supermotard would be way cool!!!!!!:080402gudl_prv:

I agree on the 800-1000 class. I will say that most of the sport tourers and multi purpose bikes have only one drawback. They are all a bit on the tall side. Especially the Suzuki V-Strom. Fantastic bike but not a floot foot stance for a lot of people. Want something different? Try looking at either the Piaggio MP3 (500cc scooter) or the Can-Am Spyder (3 wheeler) Or go into the past and get a Honda CB900. It has 10 speeds and gobs of power. Looks good and can take 2 up.

JB

Guest Snake

Wow!!! Thanks a load guys, you've given me new things to consider...

I forgot to mention that I'll be on a budget this time... Retirement is adequate but not allowing a new bike or an expensive one... I'm gonna have to start back with something in the general range of $3500. by fall... My biggest runs will be under 200 miles and never over 100 with 2 up... Maybe a trike when I hit the hillbilly retirement...

Maybe I should watch ebay in december...:) Might get a better deal...

A big problem here is the distance you must run to find a bike to sit on... My current transportation is an F150 that gets 15 mpg in these hills... Any and all input will be valued and used to convince my wife that there are enough nice days to own a bike in WV...

Thanks Gang... Tom

i would move up to a vstar 1100, or a vstar 1300. reason being the 650, has spoked wheels and uses tube type tires, has a single front disc brake, and just not enough motor for highway riding. not a good choice for two up riding. i had an 1100 and now have a 1300. being an old fart with bad legs i had no problem with either of them. they both sit low and have great lowspeed handling. since you are used to a big bike i doubt if a 650 would cut it. another alternative would be a suzuki 650 burgman scooter. i have a 400 majesty and my wife and i ride it all over. i may go to a burgman when i can't handle my bikes anymore. bill

If in this process of looking and deciding, and want to know more about the Burgman, drop me a line. I ride one to work everyday.

I had to sell my beloved 86 Venture, because I was having difficulty holding it up at slow speeds while riding 2 up, so I decided on a sport tourer to shed a couple hundred pounds. I'm glad I went that way as we still like to put some serious miles on the motorcycle from time to time. Just my 2 cents worth. Any of the cruiser bikes would be a good choice for 2 up riding if you weren't going real far. The new 1300 yamaha cruiser is getting rave reviews with it's added fuel injection and all.

Guest Snake

I sat on a 1300 V Star today and it got me all a tingling... 07 new full tour version and the best he would do was $8200.00... Danm I wish I was flush... I'll have to do some serious cipherin' to come up with a way... Maybe in a year or two... It's on my wish list...

I'm still gonna shoot for a $3000 to $4000 bike this fall... Hopefully, I'll have two new, working shoulders by spring and will have something to ride until I retire again (to flatter, warmer country and can get a 1300...

Thanks again for the input and if anyone has any $3500 ideas this fall let me know... I'm glad to be back and I'm gettin' the itch...:backinmyday: Tom

Guest JGorom
I sat on a 1300 V Star today and it got me all a tingling... 07 new full tour version and the best he would do was $8200.00... Thanks again for the input and if anyone has any $3500 ideas this fall let me know... I'm glad to be back and I'm gettin' the itch...:backinmyday: Tom

Hey Tom...glad you liked the 1300 but sorry you can't swing a deal just yet. $8,200 is a good price for a new 07 if it had the bags and windshield. For what your looking to pay used may be the way to go if your going to scratch that itch...a good used bike might be the way to go for now and then once your able to pull the trigger again trade her in.

Best regards...

I sat on a 1300 V Star today and it got me all a tingling... 07 new full tour version and the best he would do was $8200.00... Danm I wish I was flush... I'll have to do some serious cipherin' to come up with a way... Maybe in a year or two... It's on my wish list...

I'm still gonna shoot for a $3000 to $4000 bike this fall... Hopefully, I'll have two new, working shoulders by spring and will have something to ride until I retire again (to flatter, warmer country and can get a 1300...

Thanks again for the input and if anyone has any $3500 ideas this fall let me know... I'm glad to be back and I'm gettin' the itch...:backinmyday: Tom

the 1300 touring is the almost perfect all around bike.i love mine. it does everything just right, and great if your legs won't handle alot of weight anymore. very nimble at all speeds. and very powerful. if you like v-twins the 1300 has it all. $8200.00 is a great price. thats less than i gave for my 1100 silverado. the 1100 is another great choice should be alot of nice used 1100's out there. main thing is just get something so you can ride with us. good luck bill :2133:

I do like the 1300 mentioned. But another light big cruiser is the C90 Suzuki. Did I say that? Low center of gravity. Sport touring is nice for some. I just can't keep my legs in that position. Also look at the Kawa 900 bikes. Both of them. And a trike is a good option.

SS

A lighter bike that can handle 2-up and priced around $3-4,000? How about a Honda Pacific Coast? Fairing, luggage, lower seat height and 800cc. That's my "other" bike, and it's almost as much fun to ride as the Venture. (I'd say it IS as much fun, especially when riding solo, but I don't want to start a war!)