IGNORED

Repositioning Passenger Intercom Connector

The connector is not in a very handy place. I want to move it but am limited by the amount of wire. The wire runs from the connector back up in under the trunk.

Anyone know if there's extra cable packed behind the passenger backrest somewhere? If so, how do you get to it?

Anyone else repositioned the connector to make it more accessible?

"I added a 2ft extension to the cord and just ran it up the driver backrest bracket. Makes it a lot easier for the co-pilot."

I just installed the same thing as KeithR and Momma really loves me now. It was a pain for her to hook-up before we left on a ride. It takes longer to find the socket wrench and to remove to seat than it does to install the extension up the backrest and into the pouch. To whoever thought of this first, THANX!!

Brian

Those connectors are the same as the old AT keyboard connectors from older computers. I paid a few dollars for one that was 2 or 3 feet long, but I can't remember where I got it. Might have been Radio Shack. It doesn't look to be as water tight as the one linked to above, but it hasn't been a problem yet. I just plug it in and lay the wire in the back seat. My wife then puts it where she wants it so it's easy for her to plug/unplug. When we are done, we unplug it and take it in with her helmet. It doesn't stay with the bike.

Doug- see you figured out the keyboard plug! I am going to replace my passenger plug in on the '86 with the same thing. The socket in the rear control box lets the plug hang horizontal. Found that a few dismounts by a passenger pulls the pins loose. I figure that a few inches of cord would allow the plug to dangle and take the stress off the cord.

JB

I think I like the extension going up the driver backrest idea...that way she can get on the bike, get situated, and then hook up without hanging over the side of the bike upside down! I'm gonna give that a try, thanks!

I got my 36" extension at a local supply place called "Cables and Connections". It was for an old style keyboard and I ran it under the rear seat, up the stem for my backrest and it stays in the pouch when not in use. Doesn't catch any weather that way. Momma really likes it there. Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I just removed the seat and ran the wire where it came out in front of the passenger seat and behind the drivers seat . Then the plug is right in front of them and is easily within reach at all times.

I added a 2ft extension to the cord and just ran it up the driver backrest bracket. Makes it a lot easier for the co-pilot.

You can get an extension cord here

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DUE%2D15A

Keith

Yeppers, tried the move to the grab rail, still was not the best in world, especially in the dark. She was still cussin the connector (and she is a sweet grandma). So I bought the 2 foot extender, put the original connector back in its old location and the 2 foot piece now comes up and lays in the crack between the front and rear seats, just reaches for it and now sees the pin holes to line up. :cool10::cool10: