IGNORED

Narrower AVON Front Tire - White Walls

BradT

I was wondering if Avon had any plans to manufacture a front Wide White Wall tire for the RSV's and asked for a comment on the MT90 for the front. Attached is there answer. I questioned one of the comments and asked for a explanation and the answer is attached, as well.

The answer is just the manufacturers opinion, which I am sure is standard policy (CYA), so please take it for what it is worth. I know many have tried it and liked it and do not have any concerns or problems. Myself personally I would prefer to stick to the stock sizes.

Brad

Thank you for contacting Avon Tyres. At this time we in the North American office of Avon Tyres have heard no plans to produce your front tire as a WWW.

As for using the MT90 instead of the 150 we cannot recommend this because you will be dropping in dimensions. The MT90 has a higher load rating due to it's belted construction making it a reinforced tire but because of it's smaller dimensions it will not hold up to the bike as well and you will be loosing contact patch width. This fitment may work well for some people but due to the size of the bike we don't recommend it. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for your interest in Avon Tyres and ride safely.

Hello Brad, sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Our policy is to never recommend a tire of lower specs. This includes both load & speed ratings as well as overall dimensions. In most cases a larger tire always has more load carrying capacity due to a wider contact patch dispersing the weight through more tire. Adding belted construction will raise the load rating but is done to ensure that the tire will keep it's general uniformity under heavier loads. Even though a tire is belted, it's contact patch should still be sufficient to get the best grip. A tires load carrying abilities is important but it's level of grip is also very important.

Another con to having a smaller contact patch is possible cupping issues with the rubber as well as other strange wear characteristics. The casing may be reinforced but the rubber is not. We reinforced the MT90 so much because we don't think that it is a large enough tire for such large bikes and with our modifications to the tire it works well for what it was originally fitted to. But we still don't want to recommend other bikes that require wider tires to switch to the MT90 especially if we have the proper size for that application. I hope this answers your questions and please let me know if you have any more.

Avon Customer Service

c/o Hoppe & Assoc, Inc.

PO. Box 5112

Lynnwood, WA 98036 USA

Tel: 800-624-7470, Fax: 425-771-4246

Yup, pretty much a CYA answer. Our bike has the widest front tire of any metric bike going. Numerous other bikes this size are using a smaller front tire than we use. To say that they can't recommend a smaller tire just because it isn't what the manufacturer used is silliness.

Yup, pretty much a CYA answer. Our bike has the widest front tire of any metric bike going. Numerous other bikes this size are using a smaller front tire than we use. To say that they can't recommend a smaller tire just because it isn't what the manufacturer used is silliness.

Maybe not silliness, just the way of the times. If they stuck their neck out at all some low life would find a way to blame them for something just to make some money. We are own our own to find what works best for each of us. It all seemed to start with the moron Nader and his proven incorrect chapter on the Corvar. All he really proved is you don't have to know what your talking about to drag someone through the mud.

Jerry

IMO AVONS ARE WAY OVERRATED!!!

I listened to all the hoopla about these Avons so I tried them.. 7500 miles and the rear is pooched.. It's about to show cords down the middle. I rode these 95% 1 up 2000 with trailer. 45 - 48 lbs. Not to mention they suck in the rain.

I'm not blaming anyone here... I blame myself.. I wanted more mileage out of my tires.. I should have relized something was askew when a lot of the people talking up the Avons were slamming the Dunlop 404s.. I Like the 404s... I just wanted more than the 7 - 12K miles they last.. I guess I'll stick with Dunlop and try the E-3s next... Live and Learn

IMO AVONS ARE WAY OVERRATED!!!

I listened to all the hoopla about these Avons so I tried them.. 7500 miles and the rear is pooched.. It's about to show cords down the middle. I rode these 95% 1 up 2000 with trailer. 45 - 48 lbs. Not to mention they suck in the rain.

I'm not blaming anyone here... I blame myself.. I wanted more mileage out of my tires.. I should have relized something was askew when a lot of the people talking up the Avons were slamming the Dunlop 404s.. I Like the 404s... I just wanted more than the 7 - 12K miles they last.. I guess I'll stick with Dunlop and try the E-3s next... Live and Learn

I've been running the E3 for about 20K miles now and it still has a lot of tread on it.

I was thinking the tire must be really hard rubber to last that long but I have not had any issues riding through curves etc. I read an article the other day in a motorcycle magazine that stated the E3 has a hard rubber compound in the center of the tread and a softer compound in the edges so that would explain what I was thinking about the tires.

I love the tire, but I was not able to find a E3 for the front.

As far as the 404's, I usually get about 12K miles with them also and it's a pretty decent tire.

Good Luck,

Jerry