IGNORED

Carb sync woes

Tysons87venture

2 hours ago, BlueSky said:

When I checked the float levels in my 89, as I remember, I put slightly larger tubes over the ends of the drain tubes and it was very easy to check the levels.  

Just checked my bike and suddenly remembered about that. Guess I got so used to setting them up on the bench I totally forgot that method.

The tang that touches the needle is what you bend one way or the other until you get the right fuel level.

Also the brass seat that the needle goes into should not be moving around.

Edited by saddlebum

1 minute ago, Tysons87venture said:

Is this what you were talking about saddlebum? The valve seat that you had leaking causing the flooding? I'm hoping to build up a tester tomorrow to see if I have the correct fuel level now

In my case  I managed to get a burr on the outer brass seat that the needle seat goes into and it caused the needle to stick

Just now, saddlebum said:

In my case  I managed to get a burr on the outer brass seat that the needle seat goes into and it caused the needle to stick

Ok the theory is kind of making sense abit more to me now, I can see now that I'd have much less fuel before the valve closes, it was fitting loosely in seat so I'm guessing is was just allowing extra fuel through, now it's just a matter if its enough fuel to keep her running, thanks again for your help!

Thanks for that Rick, very helpful.  I believe my issues might be related to the poor quality re build set I bought, the rubber gasket around the jet block seems very soft, in the pictures I could see that the gasket looks alot stiffer and a better fit than what I'm dealing with, the float heights look good, the needle valve does seem loose in the seat though and I'm not sure that's normal but that's the only way I can get it set to correct height

As a rule, I stay away from the China stuff as there is no way they can be using quality materials and sell if for the price they are. I try and stick with the Japan produced or Taiwan produced products.  

One of the places I have ordered carbs kits from is https://www.carburettorshop.com/contents/en-us/d380_Mikuni_BDS_carburetor_parts_and_rebuild_kits.html 

They are located in The Netherlands, so shipping can be an issue but they do offer a couple of different ways to get it here. 

Another sourse is https://www.siriusconinc.com/search_result.php?make=2&model=Venture Royale&part=All&partno=&x=56&y=16&search=search&start=0

They are located in Ontario Canada and offer some parts at fair prices and shipping is more reasonable also.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.