IGNORED

fuel pump and petcock questions

Guest Obsidian16825

Guest Obsidian16825

:confused24:Dh and I've been working on my uncle's '83 Venture Royale for the last couple of days. The license plate has a '96 sticker, leading us to believe the beast hasn't been ridden in 12 years. We've got it running on three cylinders. The fourth hits occasionally. We're using seafoam in the gas. After letting the one carb to the can that's not hitting soak with seafoam overnight, it's doing better, but the engine will quit if dh takes it off choke and takes his hand away from blocking the air intake. He's going to see if the float is stuck. The cylinder is getting spark, and the carb seems to be getting fuel. It's just not sending the mixture to the cylinder. We're trying to avoid rebuilding the cylinders, if we can. We will rebuild them, if we must

We changed the fuel filter. The fuel pump has not been replaced. The fuel pump is only pumping fuel in spurts. The fuel filter isn't filling up. Is it supposed to pump constant or only periodically? Is the fuel filter supposed to fill?

The petcock is plastic and brittle. Most of what plastic was sticking out to turn has broken off. It needs replacing, but we want to know if there's a metal one to replace it with. I see replacement petcocks on the internet for $36, but they're plastic. Is there an alternative?

We have a service manual, but haven't found any information about adjusting cam chains. Is there a way to adjust cam chains? There's a rattling, and we'd like to figure out if it's just chains that need to be adjusted of if we need to anticipate adjusting the valves, not a happy prospect. *wish it weren't shims*

The Fuel Pump is pumping for 5 Seconds only, if the Relay doesn't get a Spark Signal. So if you want it constantly to pump, you have to work the RUN Switch on the right Handlebar ech time the Pump stops.

The Cam Chains Tensionrs are preset and there nothing to adjust. If they're rattling it might be the Valves.

Guest Obsidian16825

Yes, we're getting spark to all four.

Dh tapped on the float bowl, and the float came unstuck, right before he poked a hole in the bowl. The carbs are now bundled in the back of my car. We've got to go back home today, so we'll deal with them at home. We and my father are going to try to convince my uncle to load the bike up and trailer it to our place. It'll be a lot easier for us to work on it there, since we live three hours away.

Thanks for the answers. I'm sure there will be many more.

The exhaust joint directly behind the left rear cylinder doesn't have a clamp over it like the other side. It needs replacing. Any clue where to get one?

The plugs are new. I just put them in yesterday morning.

Yammy still has the clamps, crush gaskets, nuts, washers and bolts still available. When I did my motor mounts, I replaced them all. To me, it made the re-assembly of the exhaust system much better and I had no exhaust leaks that I could audibly hear. Sure looked better too.

My 86 doesn't have the 5 second timeout... it pumps until the pressure is there. It came in handy when I used the pump to empty the tank. I wonder what wire THAT is suppose to be to be followed for possible repair?

You said the filter is not filling up. ??

Bike sitting 12 years , Hmmmm. I am suspecting the Screen mounted on top of the Petcock assembly in bottom of tank may be plugged.

Strongly suggest you remove the Petcock assembly, and check the condition of the petcodk, and screen.

You want to be sure you get that tank cleaned out, or you will just keep getting crud into the Fuel Pump and Carbs.

My 86 doesn't have the 5 second timeout... it pumps until the pressure is there. It came in handy when I used the pump to empty the tank. I wonder what wire THAT is suppose to be to be followed for possible repair?

Mike, seems a P/O shortcutted the bad Fuel Pump Relay.

Any clue where to get one?

I've got a brand new clamp I'll sell ya at cost plus a couple bucks for shipping, ordered it, got it, then the one I thought I lost miraculously showed up!!!!! You'll need a bolt for it, don't know why but they sell them separately!! Just checked the price----20 bucks for the band, couple bucks for shipping-- 22 bucks altogether and I'll ship it out tomorrow for ya---- if'n you want it. PM me and let me know, I'll be back on here later.

If you need to order parts, Flatout will get you the best prices, just tell them you're with Venturerider......

Dan