IGNORED

Fuel reserve question

Say you were running low of fuel so you switch to reserve. You then top off with gas but you forget to switch back to the main tank. Will you have any gas left in the tank if you run out of gas?
If you leave it on reserve, it shouldn't matter about running out of gas, because if you keep your eye on your gauge, it will start counting down when you get that low (reserve mileage reading), and that should tell you to start looking for a gas station. :mustache:

If you leave it on reserve, it shouldn't matter about running out of gas, because if you keep your eye on your gauge, it will start counting down when you get that low (reserve mileage reading), and that should tell you to start looking for a gas station. :mustache:

Actually, selecting reserve and leaving it there is a most excellent idea.

If you do use reserve and want to remember.....Take the key cover on the gas cap and move it over to expose the key slot as soon as you switch to reserve. That will give you a remeinder when you fill it up that you are in reserve......Not such a big deal with bikes with a gas guage but sure helped me with bikes that didnt have them.

In answer to your original question there is actually close to .6 gallons left in the tank. It is on the right side and you CAN shake the bike back and forth and get some gas back to the left side and possibly get to a gas station if one is close. I know from personal experience. I made the mistake of not moving back off reserve and when the fuel gauge started counting down I ignored it because at the time I usually ran it until it sputtered then switched to reserve.

• 4 weeks later...
hOW MANY MILES CAN YOU GET ON A ROYAL STAR BEFORE YOU HIT

RESERVE? I CAN ONLY GET ABOUT 100- 120 MILES.:confused24:

Well even if your tank is the same as ours (6 gal) reserve comes on with about a gallon and a half in the tank. Seems your getting low 30's for mileage, sounds a bit low. Sync the carbs and run some seafoam through it, that could help you out a bit.

Guest ohiojack

MY TANK IS ONLY 4.8 GALS. tHE BIKE HAS STOCK JETTING, AIRFILTER

AND A SUPERTRAPP EXHAUST RUNNING 10 DISKS. EXHAUST STILL LOOKS

LIKE IT'S RUNNING RICH

• 1 year later...

+1 the computer doesn't know when you move the switch, and it will say you are on reserve at the same point either way.. Mine says I am on reserve, about 5 miles before I actually have to switch it over. (I usually switch it when the computer says instead of when I really need it so I don't have to reach for it in traffic with a sputtering bike.) I do switch it back when I fill up, I guess just out of years of habit with bikes that had no gas gauges or bikes with unreliable gas gauges.