IGNORED

After Oil Change...Oil Pressure Light...

To All:

Well, it's been a LONG LONG time since I last posted here on the board. l _thought_ I was about to get a GL1500, but...this damn unemployment makes my wife tell me NONONO!!!

Ok, so with my '89VR it has the oil filter (canister) adapter. I just changed my oil and started getting the OIL PRESSURE LOW light on under hard acceleration OR if I'm at about 85MPH on the bike. It's normal speed for me as I run the interstate all the time. Now, with the last filter and oil change I had NO issues. So, I'm thinking that this filter is just way too stiff and not allowing oil to flow. I've HAD IT with this spin on filter and I want to go back to original OEM, and I already 'think' I have the parts to do it as I had ordered everything.

If anyone has installed the filter adapter, what is required to get it off so I can go back to OEM? I'm a FAT guy (over 300lbs) so getting up and down is really painful so I want to have all the tools there for one shot to get it removed, install the OEM parts and be DONE with this.

I know that another issue is that I'm dealing with the blinking OIL LEVEL light all the damn time. I know my level was spot-on last time, but I'll recheck it. This bike is HELL getting on center stand, have to use my floor jack to lift it up so I can finally get it on center-stand. Trust me, I've tried...just way too much easier doing it this way.

Again, sorry that I've been gone for a long time...I've got another issue going to post under another thread..

I've never had any issues with the spin on filter adapter. Are you sure you are using the correct filter? I use Purolater L25288 cans.

If you have the same adapter I do, it will have several holes drilled into the edged of the adapter plate. Just use a drift punch or a larger cross tip screw driver stuck into the holes to turn it off counter clockwise.

Make sure you have all the parts for the factory filter canister and stack them in the right order.

It's NOT an oil pressure light, it's an oil LEVEL light. Usually when the light comes on as you describe, the oil level is low and there isn't enough oil reserve in the sump. Put the bike on the center stand on level ground and look into the oil sight glasss and see where it indicates your oil level is. Do this with the engine OFF. I suspect you'll find your oil level is down to the point where almost no oil is seen. Usually I keep mine near the center of the gauge.

How much oil did you add when you changed the oil? My 89 needs little over 3.25 quarts to get the oil level to the center of the sight glass.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: CP but if you decide to go ahead with swapping back to OEM,, here is probably what you will need - if memory serves me correctly:

The adaptor for your spin on is probably threaded into the hole that the mounting bolt for the oem canister screws into. You will need to unscrew the adaptor (lefty loosey) from the case/engine block. Once you do this you should hopefully be left with the engine block/case as OEM with sealing surface for the OEM canister's large o-ring and original OEM threaded oil port/mounting hole for canister bolt.

In your possession you should have: Finned canister cover, OEM filter that goes into canister with grommets that seal around mounting bolt, large o-ring that sets in groove in canister, canister mounting bolt with o-ring that seals on face of canister cover where it goes thru, spring that goes behind the oil filter - this goes between filter and canister - NOT between filter and case/engine block.

Think thats it,, now lets see if one of the clubs guru's can figure out what I missed :sign Rock On:

I had been using the WIX filter #51381 as that was on it when I got the bike and never had an issue. Then switched to # matching Fram and the first one worked fine. YES YES YES I already know about the hatred about fram filters.

I just looked at the cross-reference of the wix to the L25288 and it doesn't match. I've had a LOT of problems finding a filter at a store that matches cross-reference to the WIX.

Look, from what I've read in the past it was stated (by an actual engineer of a filter company) to NOT use a can filter on a bike unless it was made that way. He stated that pressures of oil flowing thru the filer are VERY different between a filter used on a car and the OEM filter made by the motorcycle mfg. Yes, I love the canister filter and who the heck wouldn't??? So now I got a choice to either change this all out (hopefully have everything, still haven't looked...) OR to go get a WIX, change it, twist the **** out of the bike and see what happens.

If it works and that fram was the issue...me gonna get me $$$ back on it.

If it doesn't, then I'll be forced to change to the OEM setup, try it and see. If I get oil pressure light again if I go that route...I know I'm screwed.

I know the difference between the oil level light and the oil pressure light. I'm going to go grab that oil filter and see if that makes the difference.

According to the owner's manual, the LED indicator on the CMS Display panel is an oil level indicator. Is that the one you're referencing?

Oil Level.jpg

Mine will flash briefly as well for a couple seconds during WOT acceleration to redline. I keep my oil level in the middle of the sight glass.

Edited by Bob K.

Well... Problem found. Put on stand, checked sight glass... Thing was a quart low. I thought I had enough when I did the change but screwed up in my process.

My biggest failure was when I got the low oil pressure light I should have stopped right then, came home and CHECKED IT OUT. I got lazy. I know better. Lesson learned. Least I didn't push my motor and ignore the pressure light.

Still have to do a run (great excuse to ride) and verify it is ok.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Well... Problem found. Put on stand, checked sight glass... Thing was a quart low. I thought I had enough when I did the change but screwed up in my process.

My biggest failure was when I got the low oil pressure light I should have stopped right then, came home and CHECKED IT OUT. I got lazy. I know better. Lesson learned. Least I didn't push my motor and ignore the pressure light.

Still have to do a run (great excuse to ride) and verify it is ok.

The good thing is that you now know your oil level indicator is working correctly. I've heard of others checking to make sure the oil level indicator is working properly during an oil change and I'm going to incorporate that into my maintenance habits, too.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?36857-oil-pressure-light-came-on&p=347160#post347160

I have used the oil level indicator on my tired old MK1's for years to check oil content while rolling down the road, no need to get off and check the window.. Just wick er up and run thru a couple years and gaze at the dash.. Watch for the oil level icon flicker,, if she flickers,, next stop is a dollar store for a quart of oil.. It may not be right,, it may not be pretty, but it is what it was :big-grin-emoticon: