I am running an 85VR with 40,00kms. The bike is new to me this spring, but it had a nasty squirrely feeling at all speeds when I bought it and it had brickstones on front and back with what should have been another years wear on the rear. After reading around in here I replaced the back with a dunlop. Ive played with air pressures in the tires anf find funning 38 front and 40 back seems to make it handle ok. I will replace the front brickstone at the end of the year as I find it seems a bit slippery when cornering, but I will just keep and eye on it for now. Last weekend went out to the beaches an hours ride east of town and tried up to 160kmh (100mph) without any issues but seemd to get a bit loose at that point. (coulda just been my "old guy" nervous brain imagining it:whistling:) I prolly averaged 120-140kmh.

I keep the class system at medium on both front and back most of the time but have played with settings and it doesnt seem to make any difference in handling to me. (but I am a svelte 285, lol)

Brian:cool10::cool10:

I had a wobble in sweepers at 80+ noit sure if it was related to wind trubulance from trucks on the highway. I put in progressive front springs run with a small amount of air pressure and kept the inch metal spacer from the original setup in there, fork oil at 15wt, new avons run at max pressure, class at medium setting, superbrace, solid engine mounts, and run the rear suspension at 4 on the damper (6'02", 260 lbs). I think the solid mounts made the biggest difference and I put them all in not just 5. Dont have the wobble anymore. (Since I crashed I'll see what happens when I ride it whens its done to see if there are any issues with wobble.)

Brad: I would get some speed shimmy on the 88 first gen. any time I got up 75 or 80 mph. I ran the front end at 14 lb. and the back at 71 lb. and this seemed to smooth it out. I also had a oversized Clearveiw windsheild on it, and maybe that would change the airflow over the front end enough to get the shimmy. The 92 has a stock sheild, and I have been running the same air pressure, and she does not seam to get the shakes as bad. Hope this help's you out and Nance and I will see you at Don's

Todd, what you describe sounds like trailer whip, usually caused by insufficient tongue weight.

Wizard, I've read that carrying a passenger often makes hi-speed weave better. The extra body changes the natual frequency and adds damping. Extra weight on the back, rigidly attached, makes weave worse, which is one reason full-dressers struggle with this phenomenon - the trunk. It's also why Kawi, on their police bikes, used to mount the heavy police radio on its own suspension. Though it was high and rear-mounted like a trunk, it wasn't rigid. Neither is a passenger.

Wizard, you talk as if Venoms and E2's or 404's are the only tires for this bike. What about Pirelli MT66, Michelin Commander, E3 (rear only), ME880, or maybe others?

One more for Wizard, you mention that your head bearings may be too loose, causing low speed wandering. In my experience, those wanders are caused by head bearings that are too tight. FWIW.

A general comment: I read people saying they had Bridgestones do this or Dunlops to that. All these brands make many models, and each has its own characteristics - cross-section, tread pattern, rubber compound. You just can't generalize by brand, methinks.

Squeeze, what does your esteemed government have against Michelin Commanders?

There's my 2 cents. That from a guy without much sense at all :-)

Jeremy

Gearhead[/left];205395]..

Squeeze, what does your esteemed government have against Michelin Commanders?

There's my 2 cents. That from a guy without much sense at all :-)

Jeremy

My Government wants a Piece of Paper for every Part on the Bike which isn't from the Manufacturer or approved by the Manufacturer. The Tire Company are allowed to do their own testing and release their own Papers. You have to download them from the Net and go to a Dealer for his Undersign and Stamp and need to carry this with you every Time.

If Tires are not approved by Manufacturer or Tire Company, you can get them inspected and written into the Vehicle Papers.

IF you find an Engineer which is willing to sign for it and and of Course paying big Bucks for that Undersign. Single Approvement for a Set of Tires goes around the Costs of a State of the Art radial rear Tire, 180 Euros.

If you can't find a Guy with Allowance to sign up or no one who's willing to do so ... well your ride illegal. As our Vehicle Papers are full of technical Informations and if the Police can't find the Part in the Papers, you'll find yourself in serious Trouble. Over the last 4 Years the Modifications on my Max, cost me around 1200 Euros just for such Inspections and Papers. The standard Form for any Vehicle is about the Size of 4 Credit Cards lying next to each other, my Max has 2 Sheets extra in same Size for Extensions.

Back to the Venture .. Michelin just decided not to do testing and Paperwork for the Bike, usually because the Lack of Market, so, no more Commanders for me ....

One more for Wizard, you mention that your head bearings may be too loose, causing low speed wandering. In my experience, those wanders are caused by head bearings that are too tight. FWIW.

I have heard this from a Yamaha mechanic I know. Sometimes too tight will cause wandering.

Too tight Head Bearings are easy to judge. If you're not able to ride in straight Line at lower Speeds and always need redirect the Bike, the Bearings are too tight. Other than this Condition is fine or too loose.

Guest Swifty
I think the solid mounts made the biggest difference and I put them all in not just 5.

me too but I only put in 2...after a frustrating year trying steering adjustments, tires, fork brace, and progressive springs. I am keeping my fingers crossed after reading this thread...and knocking on wood...because mine is perfect now. I certainly don't envy you, Squid.

Hey Squid

Even on a 2nd gen when riding 1 up, which is seldom, I feel the squirrleyness, feels like I am behind a truck, but when the Mechinic rides, smooth as silk.

This could be because I run around 48 rear and 42 front. just don't go lower because of 2up mostly.

:confused24:

Todd, what you describe sounds like trailer whip, usually caused by insufficient tongue weight.

Wizard, you talk as if Venoms and E2's or 404's are the only tires for this bike. What about Pirelli MT66, Michelin Commander, E3 (rear only), ME880, or maybe others?

Actually these are the tires that my mechanic is talking about and I'm looking for suggestions. At this time I'm sort of leaning towards the Michelin Commander. Any suggestions would be much appreciated though

Wayne

Jeremy

I really think that what I'm experiencing right now is the tires. I have had the head bearings too tight and it is way worse. Last summer Carl and I changed the steering head bearings on my scoot. We had them too tight at first and it was horrible. After I loosened them a tad they were fine. Over the last couple of weeks I've loosened and tightened the steering head bearings as well as playing with tire pressures and suspension pressures to try and fix the problem. Right now the head bearings are loose and I agree that isn't the problem.

Got an appointment with the mechanic on Tuesday to change tires.

Wayne

I can't agree with the tire idea. I have an '88VR with my second set of Avons and I have ran cross country, coast to coast, through the deserts, up the west coast, and back up and across the salt flats and the Rockies in all types of weather conditions and speeds without the slightest feeling of uneasiness. Then last summer we rode two up, pulling a heavily loaded trailer from Georgia to Montana and back still with no issues. We ran highway speeds up to 90+ and still no issues. I regularly run the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains and any challenging spots we can find and have never felt unsure of the Avons. I am comfortable waving at you with one hand going through any of the curves we have taken. It is like we are doing things with a big bike that a big bike should not be expected to do well. The '88 has the original motor mounts but I did replace the front springs with Progressives and added the SuperBrace. What I will agree with is that there are times when I can remove my hands from the bars and the front end will begin to wobble. This happened with the '83 Standard AND with this '88VR... with the Dunlop Elites I ran before and with these Avons. I always just interpreted this as telling me there was no auto-pilot and there was absolutely no reason for me to run down the road on a bike with such long front forks with no hands on the bars. The SuperBrace compensates somewhat for the fork design, but I think we still neet to hold on to the bars to keep this baby comfortable at all speeds. One hand lightly on the bars is all it takes. I don't ride conservatively and routinely scrape the pegs or bars, and have the narrow "chicken strips" to prove it and I have absolute confidence in the Avon Venoms. It's just my humble opinion, but from what I have experienced my advice is that you look farther than the tires...:backinmyday:

.... I always just interpreted this as telling me there was no auto-pilot and there was absolutely no reason for me to run down the road on a bike with such long front forks with no hands on the bars...:backinmyday:

The Vmax has 35 mm longer Forkleg at the same Length of Center Axle and same Steering Bearings. Vmax is 860 mm and the Venture's are 825 mm long. I can assure you, taking off both Hands off the Handlebars at the Vmax at Speeds above 100 mph is no Adventure. But it's an Adventure with my Venture.

What I will agree with is that there are times when I can remove my hands from the bars and the front end will begin to wobble. This happened with the '83 Standard AND with this '88VR... ...I think we still neet to hold on to the bars to keep this baby comfortable at all speeds. One hand lightly on the bars is all it takes.

Ditto, completely. A week ago I rode about 30 miles of sweeping turns. My 12-year old daughter was on the back, dozing off. That's happened with my kids before and it's a little nerve-racking, but OTOH, they always stay pretty-well centered 'tween the armrests. But for some reason this time I felt compelled to keep my left hand on her calf the whole way just to make sure that if she slid at all I'd know right away. She never did, but the one-handed ride was no problem, handling-wise.

Wizard, I've run a pair of Pirelli MT66's on my Virago and liked them. I currently have one on the front of the Venture, with an E3 on the back, and it handles nicely. E3 is not available in the Venture's size. The MT66 is a good-handling tire, made in about every size imaginable, wears pretty well, and to top it all off, it's cheap!

Jeremy