IGNORED

new laptop

rbig1

well have a question what is s mode. This laptop says if I switch to google I cant go back. Only payed around 200.00 for this one. Bought it so I don't have to take my good one out in the garage. I added a wifi bridge out to the garage for my autel equipment and to look up repair specs on Mitchel site for my stuff. Not going to say how long it took me to figure that out. But wow lol. Haven't been on here much as been trying to set up a small network. Then some how broke a hole in overhead door closing it. So put in a good door. It made a big difference in warmth. Any one go in chat around 7 anymore? I gave up my part time job as didn't want to do it anymore. I was able to buy the scanner and scope set up form working now to just remember how to use it. Its quite a bit different from the one I used at work. Expensive toy but always wanted my own.

well have a question what is s mode. This laptop says if I switch to google I cant go back. Only payed around 200.00 for this one. Bought it so I don't have to take my good one out in the garage. I added a wifi bridge out to the garage for my autel equipment and to look up repair specs on Mitchel site for my stuff. Not going to say how long it took me to figure that out. But wow lol. Haven't been on here much as been trying to set up a small network. Then some how broke a hole in overhead door closing it. So put in a good door. It made a big difference in warmth. Any one go in chat around 7 anymore? I gave up my part time job as didn't want to do it anymore. I was able to buy the scanner and scope set up form working now to just remember how to use it. Its quite a bit different from the one I used at work. Expensive toy but always wanted my own.

I know others are more qualified to answer this than I, but I generally stay away from anything Google. Much like Amazon, Microsoft and FB, they just cant be trusted. I'm setting up my laptop with Linux now that I've had some exposure to it (Raspberry Pi/Pi-hole), and the ONLY reason my desktop still has Windows is because Linux is not very handy at running my favorite games. I would sure vote NO to anything that's going to let Google and MS further into your business. I've even de-Googled my Android phone with a rooting, light Slim6 OS and a few apps/SU firewall over the issues with Google.

From what little I know about S mode is it locks you into using ONLY aps from the MS Play Store and ONLY browse with Edge, which is a frightening concept knowing how piss poor MS and Google are with privacy and monetization so annoying it's life-changing. If your not at all concerned about privacy and this laptop will not be on the internet maybe, but it looks like it removes a whole lot of ability to control your data and privacy. Browsing in Edge.... that is brave my friend!

For browsing I recommend using Firefox browser with Ghostery, Ublock Matrix and Ublock Origin, and a good Cookie manager. There is a little learning curve with Matrix but once you have it you will never want to live without it. Try this and then try Edge before you make your decision on going down that road. Take me with a gran of salt, I'm very concerned with privacy and I HATE advertisments, especially targeted ads, which tell me that someone is in my bum up to at least the 2nd knuckle. Not good with that so I have taken steps. It just sounds like Smode might be a huge step in the wrong direction for many folks.

What I'm not clear on is the advantage of going into Smode. If your after faster startups you can do a selective startup and let it run only services you want. That made my machine quite a bit faster and I was able to disable a buttload of junk and metrics inflicted by MS.

Well so far image resizer don't work. Also no chat sound. S seems to block everything that is not microsoft supported. Says will not work correct if disabled. Anyone try disabling this? Also says you cant go back. Has free office app for a year installed don't want to loose this.

I dumped MS Office many years ago and been using Open Office ODT, it has docs and spreadsheets, and the ability to add other features. I'ts free and fantastic. The only drawback is that if you prepare a document and send it off to someone who is still using MS Office it will loose it's format. I'm sure there is a workaround but I have not needed it yet.

My dad turned me onto Open Office way back when, been really happy with it and no MS nonsense. I've had it with MS, seriously. If someone could make a Linux platform to run all the PC games then that goes on my wish list right above world peace. I just added a metric ton of Microsoft and Windows filters to my Pi-hole blacklist. Got plenty of Google and Samsung blocked out too, it makes me giddy to see it all being fired off into cyberspace instead of downloaded through my network.

Give Open Office a try, It's never failed me in so many years and never ever shown me any nag screens or popups.

This was new to me. Did a bit of research:

In S mode you can only install applications from the Microsoft store. It's done to protect you from installing malware. Android and IOS phones do the same thing so you can only install apps that pass certain quality control and security checks. In other words, they're trying to make it idiot proof.

If you turn off S mode you don't lose access to the Microsoft store but gain access to everything else. The only thing you lose is the protection of being locked into the Microsoft store.

They don't let you turn S mode back on. There might be a technical reason they prohibit that or it could be to prevent users from switching back after getting a malware infection and then blaming Microsoft.

I dumped MS Office many years ago and been using Open Office ODT, it has docs and spreadsheets, and the ability to add other features. I'ts free and fantastic. The only drawback is that if you prepare a document and send it off to someone who is still using MS Office it will loose it's format. I'm sure there is a workaround but I have not needed it yet.

My dad turned me onto Open Office way back when, been really happy with it and no MS nonsense. I've had it with MS, seriously. If someone could make a Linux platform to run all the PC games then that goes on my wish list right above world peace. I just added a metric ton of Microsoft and Windows filters to my Pi-hole blacklist. Got plenty of Google and Samsung blocked out too, it makes me giddy to see it all being fired off into cyberspace instead of downloaded through my network.

Give Open Office a try, It's never failed me in so many years and never ever shown me any nag screens or popups.

Open Office 'save as' gives you the ability to save files in Microsoft Word format so Word users can read the file. You can also save files in a couple of text formats that are readable by other non-windows computers. Rich Text format retains most formatting for computers that don't have a compatible Word/ODT application.

If I need to send a copy of a document to someone and I am unsure if they have a compatible program to open it, I just print the document to PDF and send them a PDF copy. As long as all they need is to read or view the document it works well, I send all my schematic drawings that way, very few folks have AutoCad or Draftsight so they are not able to open .dwg files.

Open Office 'save as' gives you the ability to save files in Microsoft Word format so Word users can read the file. You can also save files in a couple of text formats that are readable by other non-windows computers. Rich Text format retains most formatting for computers that don't have a compatible Word/ODT application.
Glad to recall this, I think I goofed it up once many years ago and never needed to try it again.

Open office is very good. I have used it for quite a few years. Has programs the mimic Word, Excell, Page Maker I think and a couple others.
Anything I'm prompted to get or have a need for, if it wears an MS badge I look for something else, almost always find it. I remember MS Office giving me nag screens and prompts for payment and upgrades. Open Office sits quietly until I need it, then sits quietly again. Lovely alternative indeed.

well I just got rid of s mode. all the stuff I wanted to add went right in
Good! Glad it worked out and you were able to get out from under S mode.