IGNORED

87' Vr Front Brake Problems!

skydoc_17

Hi To All, Here Is My Problem: The Left Front Caliper Is Not Working At All. The Left Front Rotor Is In Very Bad Shape. After Checking The Threads In Tech. Talk For The First Gen. Vr I Know I Need To Rebuild The Caliper But When I Checked On The Purchase Of A New Lf Rotor I See That The Part Is Discontinued. But The Rf Rotor Is Still Offered. Are We Putting A Rf On The Lf Rotor, Should I Try To Buy A Used One? I Did Notice That I Am Getting Uneven Brake Pad Wear On All Three Calipers, Does This Mean Rebuilds On All Three? And Finally How Many "kits" Do I Need To Do The Rebuilds For The Front Calipers? When Looking At The Part Numbers, There Seem To Be Multiple Part Nos. Listed. I Know The "brake Thing" Has Been So Done Before But I Don't Feel "warm And Fuzzy" About Riding An 850 Pound Sled With Marginal Brakes. Any Help, Used Parts Or Suggestions Would Be Greatly Appreciated. I Hate To Miss This Great Weather But Feel That This Issue Needs To Be Addressed Asap!

Thanks Again,

Skydoc_17

I wouldn't mess with these old Calipers anymore. Costs of the Parts are high and the whole Job is ..... well, not nice and very Time consumptive.

My Suggestion would be, buy some used 'blue Star' Calipers off a R1/R6/FJR and be one happy Camper. For Instance ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-YZF1000R-R1-1000-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPERS-CALIPER_W0QQitemZ130219025476

You can mount a right R1-Caliper at the rear of the '87. If you like, you can even dislink the Brakes while doing so. Steel Braided Brake Lines are obligate if the Lines haven't been replaced in the past.

Regarding the Rotor, there isn't anything technical against using a rf Rotor on the left Front. It's only Question of the Optics.