when i got my 1984 venture from my father in law. he told me not to choke it or the plugs would fowl almost instantly. i am quite sure this is because it is running to rich. this could be caused by dirty carbs correct? jets maybe. Also when idling it mifires every 5 or so seconds out of the left exhaust could this be because of dirty carbs too?

it runs perfect when your riding and come to a stop idles good. so im just wondering where i go now i need my choke i dont like taking the tank cover off and sprayin panther piss in to get it started when its cold lol

also what is the exact process of taking the carbs off i know take the side fairings off and filter box but does it have intakes u just unbolt or what? i want to leave them all togather

thanks

:15_8_211[1]: My recommendation would be to try the SeaFoam treatment route first.

It works wonders on cleaning the carbs and solving at lot of the little, annoying problems and can say you a lot of time and aggravation.

JMHO.....

when i got my 1984 venture from my father in law. he told me not to choke it or the plugs would fowl almost instantly. i am quite sure this is because it is running to rich. this could be caused by dirty carbs correct? jets maybe. Also when idling it mifires every 5 or so seconds out of the left exhaust could this be because of dirty carbs too?

it runs perfect when your riding and come to a stop idles good. so im just wondering where i go now i need my choke i dont like taking the tank cover off and sprayin panther piss in to get it started when its cold lol

also what is the exact process of taking the carbs off i know take the side fairings off and filter box but does it have intakes u just unbolt or what? i want to leave them all togather

thanks

Most folks here will tell you to only choke the motor for about 30 sec. and then drop it down on the idle circut, I find this to be ture.

The back fire or popping your hearing in the exhuast could be the raw fuel getting dump into the exhaust pipes and firing.

These bikes run DPR8ea9's you might want to go to DPR7ea9.

Check you idle mixure screws and see how many turns they are out. 2 1/2 to 3 ??

They could be out more than they need to be....ie, rich.

Is the choke cable fully off when you turn the choke off? May need to readust the choke cable to make sure when you turn off the choke that it is really off.

Pulling the carb's on these bikes are easier than most bikes. Just remove the air box, undo the rings at the base of each carb. and pull the carb's up. You will have to remove the cables once you get the carbs out to a point where you can get at them.

Kurt

thanks

The carbs are held on the manafolds with hose clamps. Loosen the clamps up and sorta work... twist and turn and lift gently... the carbs out. They will come out the left side with the throttle cables attached, and the cables will support the weight of the assembly if you need to scratch your nose. To remove the cables adjust the freeplay up at the grip to max and then the cable cover end should be loose enough to coax it out thru the slot in the cup mounted on the assembly.

As far as the choke setting, my '83 starts much the same. Very little choke. Will not start with full choke. It seems like every bike has it's own choke personality. I own 4 and every one is different. The only one that seems to act 'normal' is the '91. And yes, plugs will foul easily when the flooded.

These Cylinders all come toghter in the Collector, so less Exhaust Fume on either Side doesn't mean nothing specific in first Place.

As you mentioned, your Bike runs on the rich Side, i think Seafoam won't help you much in this. Seafoam is added to the Fuel and therefore it can't do anything on cleaning the Air Jets and Ducts inside the Carbs.

I think you should byte the Bullet and dismount the Carb Set completly, split them and clean them up. Check everything from the Diaphragm to the Floater Valves and Seats, A good Bath in a ultrasonic Cleaner would help to clear everything up and after you got that straight, set the Floater Valves and be good to go.

ok i got the carbs loose but i dont know how to take the linkage off there is the throttle linkage and another cable that runs about mid way between the front two carbs how do i do this?

Here's a copy of the text in my first post plus an add on for the choke cable.

To remove the cables adjust the freeplay up at the grip to max and then the cable cover end should be loose enough to coax it out thru the slot in the cup mounted on the assembly. The choke cable is pretty straight forward. Undo the keeper and remove.