IGNORED

Help : Nearly crashed

GrahamLFCkeeper

That's better!

Washers in place no movement in the bars.

Took it out for a short ride feels stable again.

I think the steering head bearings may have taken a small amount of punishment (drops slowly with no encouragement to the left) and I get a very minor bar wobble if I take my hands off the bars.

I tried tightening them as per the instructions on this site but no amount of force will budge the lock nut

The main thing is I now know what going on.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's better!

Washers in place no movement in the bars.

Took it out for a short ride feels stable again.

I think the steering head bearings may have taken a small amount of punishment (drops slowly with no encouragement to the left) and I get a very minor bar wobble if I take my hands off the bars.

I tried tightening them as per the instructions on this site but no amount of force will budge the lock nut

The main thing is I now know what going on.

EXCELLENT!! Good on for a job brother!!:thumbsup:

If it were me, I would check the forks with the axle removed compressing each one at a time.

I'm picking up a 27mm spanner on my way home today... See if I can get the top nut loose to do the steering head bearings 'cheat' tighten

If that doesn't work (remove the 'wobble') this will be next.

I do think it's the head bearings though... Its got the same deceleration wobble my VN1500 had... Steering head bearings were changed on that and it handles great now.

I just hope they don't need replacing... My mechanic seems reluctant to do it due to the massive amount of work involved (fairing off ect)...

I'm picking up a 27mm spanner on my way home today... See if I can get the top nut loose to do the steering head bearings 'cheat' tighten

I do think it's the head bearings though... Its got the same deceleration wobble my VN1500 had... Steering head bearings were changed on that and it handles great now.

I just hope they don't need replacing... My mechanic seems reluctant to do it due to the massive amount of work involved (fairing off ect)...

Not that hard at all. I got to mine when I replaced my front fork seals. First time I've ever gone down this far into a bike.

Took about 2 hours to get down to the bearings.....

VZM.IMG_20160816_110627.jpg

VZM.IMG_20160816_110539.jpg

Most of the steps I used I got from various posts on this site...

Between you and your mechanic...you can do this.

Seriously!

Steering head bearings tightened and I believe* I am sorted.

* I say believe because right now I'm apprehensive when riding .. I'm also worried about overtight bearings now (honestly you should try being in my head ha) even though the movement through the bars feels good.. I need to relax a little bit, because I'm feeling every twitch and bump wondering what it is... I can hopefully take her for a nice relaxing morning ride on Friday.

Just change front forks seals and found 2 1/2" inch spacers in the tubes!?

Why?

What is recommended air pressure for the fronts and is there a max psi?

any advice on the 1986 VR air ride system ................

What would serve you best is to post in this forum:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?8-Venture-and-Venture-Royale-Tech-Talk-(-83-93)

And the guys will walk you thru all the steps!

Patch

Hi Graham, I am still working on the OP so, if she has a want to fall when leaning into a curve? You will find that fix usually, in the forks.

There are exceptions as others mention, like a loose head bearing which causes the frame to pivot on the stem, but you will hear it knock if that is the case.

Patch

Good post again VideoUknowwho...

Short ride to one of our stores (big mistake on my day off ha), about 20 miles... All seems good on a mix of twisty and highway roads...

If I'm being super sensitive there is a slight wobble, nothing major, at 20-40 mph so I'll back the steering head bearings off a touch

Forks are still noisy on bounce test but it's probably time for them to be serviced anyway.

But I can ride my RSV again!