IGNORED

What Trigger really wants: Wide White Wall Tires

rjmalizia

Hello all,

Well I've come to a couple conclusions here:

1. Trigger needs needs some new tires, and

2. I want Wide Whitewalls. (www)

3. I would like those new tires to be either Avon or the Michelins.

HOWEVER...i'm having trouble locating WWW tires of any brand.

So, i was wondering if those of you out there might be able to suggest where i might be able to acquire such tires. [please no Dunlaps...that's what's coming off and i doubt that i'll ever go back to them]

many thanks

Ron

:whistling:

Thanks for the suggestion George, but yeah that's what I've been doing.

[and by the way...i was beginning to think i was the only member in WA:)]

I guess I should rephrase my original question:

"Of those of you out there, running a Wide Whitewall tires. What brand are they, and what size?"

I see that Avon Venom comes in a WWW rear tire, but it's a 170/80-15 tire.

"Has anyone stuffed that large of a rear tire on a 2nd gen RS?"

and "Tanks!"

Here is where I got my Avon WWW's about two months ago..

And dont buy them all now cause I will want another pair of these same sneakers when these new ones wear out...:thumbsup2:

I bought Maxxis Classics for the WWW. I have Avons on my 86VR, but when I went shopping last fall for some WWW for my 05 RSTD, I couldn't find the rear in the correct size, so went with the Maxxis Classics

MT90-16H front and 150-15H rear, WWW

I have no complaints.

Steve

Ok, just wanted to let you know about the Dunlop E3 Bias Touring Tire. I have an '07 RSTD and I just replaced my stock Bridgestone with a Dunlop E3 Bias Touring Tire and WOW! What a difference! It has to be the smoothest touring tire I've ever used. I've read about and heard good things about Avon tires, but I am concerned with the dryrotting and cracking that has become a common accorance. Unfortunately, I just checked and Dunlop doesn't offer a Whitewall tire in that model (E3) , BUT, the tire is the smoothest, quietest tire I have ever ridden. My wife noticed the change right away. She couldn't believe how big a difference the tire change made. Not trying to stear you in a different direction, but REALLY consider the Dunlop E3.... I bought the tire for $157 from www.CruiserCustomizing.com ($225 retail) and mounted it myself in about 3 hours...

Hope this helps and keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

Front Tire:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=94&manufacturer_ID=372&product_ID=26786&model_ID=0&query=Dunlop%20190/%20%20%20tire

Rear Tire:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=94&manufacturer_ID=372&product_ID=17791&model_ID=0

Dunlop Tire Guide:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=86

:080402gudl_prv:

Prozak

Thanks all.

Yeah...these are the comments/suggestions that I was looking for. Especially regarding the Maxxis tires. they appear to be available, but i've never heard any real reviews.

thanks again to all

.:bowdown:

And dont buy them all now cause I will want another pair of these same sneakers when these new ones wear out...:thumbsup2:

Yeah...that's the ticket.

thanks!:beer:

A big thanks you Eck!

ordered the Tires (with Wide Whitewalls) on Tuesday noon-ish and they are to be delivered this afternoon (Thursday).

Very fast service, thanks again for the recommendation.

Shameless plug goes to: RideDirect.com

Ron:bowdown:

A big thanks you Eck!

ordered the Tires (with Wide Whitewalls) on Tuesday noon-ish and they are to be delivered this afternoon (Thursday).

Very fast service, thanks again for the recommendation.

Your welcome Ron

Glad to be of some help.

Just hope you left a couple tires there for me...:rasberry:

Guest sadrand

Eck, please correct my ignorance, but isn't the front size supposed to be a 150/80 16, not a 90 16 as it shows in your link? I too have been trying to find www's, Avon makes a front, but not a rear, Metzler makes a rear but not a front, so it has been frustrating. What size Venoms ARE you running and are they the recommended sizes or are you going outside the recommendations?

Eck, please correct my ignorance, but isn't the front size supposed to be a 150/80 16, not a 90 16 as it shows in your link? I too have been trying to find www's, Avon makes a front, but not a rear, Metzler makes a rear but not a front, so it has been frustrating. What size Venoms ARE you running and are they the recommended sizes or are you going outside the recommendations?

Sanrand...yeah they are not quite the same...but some where in my many...many website stops, i came across something that indicated the the MT90-16 was close enough to the stock 150/80-16 that i would be OK...and besides, if Eck says it's good...then it's good. who am I to argue.:)

I got the front tire today...eye balling it, it does look a little narrower, but too late now i guess, as long as it fits on the rim. that's all I care about at this point...other than getting the rear tire tomorrow!

Stay tuned...I'll get back with the test run in a week or so. Same bat time, same bat channel.

The MT90 is actually a 130.The slightly narrower size makes the RSTD and RSV handle a little better at low speeds and in parking lots.This is becoming a standard modification talked about on other boards.

On thing to remember about Avons is that they ride on air not on the side walls so you may want to pump them to the max limit on the tire.I have run Avons this way since the early 70's and always got good performance out of them and good mileage.

OK got the AVON tires on and test drive one done. So far I like 'em.

the front tire MT90-16 is a bit narrower. it feels good at slower speeds and on the highway. I still need more time to test 'em out.

http://home.centurytel.net/malizia/RS/whitewalls/TriggerWW1.jpg

The back though is another story. evidentially Avon's idea of a 150/90 is about 3/4 of an inch wider than Dunlop and Metzler's 150 mm's. AND IT WAS VERY DIFFICULT TO GET INSIDE THE SWING ARM! Still not quite sure how i got it in there. (and yes i was smart enough to let the air out of it--but not smart enough just to let the shop do it :)).

I also took the time to grease up the rear end fingers-dampers and splines (preventative rear end noise - see other threads)

Note: lift adapter, and my prototype-1 hand guards (i'll post that project later when i type up all of the winter projects up: hand guards - throttle rocker - and my review of what Santa brought me, a new hat, HJC modular)

until later...

Ron

Edited by rjmalizia
forget to say the tire's brand

Wow...I just love these tires. Big thumbs up for the Avon Venoms.

the bike handles better on the road than ever before. I no longer "feel" every imperfection in the road (felt like the headset was too loose) and she corners much better too.

Thanks all for the recommendations.

Ron

:beer:

[quote=rjmalizia;206389

Wow...I just love these tires. Big thumbs up for the Avon Venoms.

Ron,

I like mine too ( a lot), but the only thing I dont like about Avon Wide White Wall tires is the white wall is not the same "width" on both tires..

The width of the white wall on the rear tire is much wider compared to the width of the white wall on the front tire.

To me, I just dont like the appearence and think the White Wall should be the same width on both tires.

Other than that, I really do like the way my bike handles.