IGNORED

No Spark - both rear cylinders

Pulled out a well running 88 from the winter sleep. It runs but not well. Both front cylinders produced heat, the rears none. Pulled plugs on the rears and no spark from either. Not really sure where to start, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Unscrew the spark plug caps and check the resistance. Should be about 9k to 10k ohms. Look at the wires to see if the copper core is green on the ends. If so, you may be able to cut a half inch or so off the wire to get to clean copper core wire. check the ends at the coils. check the coils.

As well as the above advice with the coil wires and coil ends, other possibilities are your TCI took a dump, and possibly one of your pickup coils went south. Follow the pickup coil wires from the engine up towards the top and you will find a connector that may be corroded...

• 2 weeks later...

If you are sure there is no spark on the rear cylinders only, check the pick up coils as Bongo mentions you'll find this info on 7-37 & 7-39

I would suspect the connection plug to those pick ups first tho.

Let us know

Patch

Edited by Patch

Well, I got 3 of 4 to fire, an improvement but.... So rather that swap around decade old stuff, I did the Ignitech TCI and coil over plug swap.

The install was plug and play, s

till collecting parts for the MAP sensor to hook up to the Ignitech. Hopefully when it is all done I will get performace back to stock. But in the mean time it is nice to have a V4 vs V3.

• 2 weeks later...

Plan B worked.... I worked for a week trying to get Ignitech to approach the performace of the stock ecu, no such luck. So procured some coils on ebay and swapped out the offending coil, swapped back to the stock TCI and bang good performance again.

I need to take care of my tci, will probably keep the ignitech as spare just in case. Just a little disapointed with its performance.

Plan B worked.... I worked for a week trying to get Ignitech to approach the performace of the stock ecu, no such luck. So procured some coils on ebay and swapped out the offending coil, swapped back to the stock TCI and bang good performance again.

I need to take care of my tci, will probably keep the ignitech as spare just in case. Just a little disapointed with its performance.

Well the coils get old like all things a duty cycle. All the coils should be changed and best not to use no-name products.

But this does prove that the books way of testing ignition systems, is thru spark gap testing.

Glad you got it sorted

Patch