IGNORED

Starter clutch update

I don't understand, i got my starter clutch right on ebay for my 89vr for $50. Has worked fine >1 years.

I'd love to have done Dano's method, but after i got my bolts to remove the flywheel i used my electric impact to remove it. When it popped loose it scared me. Sure enough crap was cracked and needed replaced and you must use new bolts and blue loctite.

I do have a slight oil leak dispite the fact i used a new gasket with gasket seal but SCREW IT I'll just power wash it clean. One day I might trace it down (i assume its the bottom bolt) and fix it.

Right now I'm about to install a new led stop/turn signal light on my top box...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't understand, i got my starter clutch right on ebay for my 89vr for $50. Has worked fine >1 years.

I'd love to have done Dano's method, but after i got my bolts to remove the flywheel i used my electric impact to remove it. When it popped loose it scared me. Sure enough crap was cracked and needed replaced and you must use new bolts and blue loctite.

I do have a slight oil leak dispite the fact i used a new gasket with gasket seal but SCREW IT I'll just power wash it clean. One day I might trace it down (i assume its the bottom bolt) and fix it.

Right now I'm about to install a new led stop/turn signal light on my top box...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Look where wires come out of the case, common leak. Bottom bolt of middle gear cover should have a copper crush washer, another common one.

Concerning the wires / leak don't think it's going to be there. I was 'for sure' (ahem...cough...cough...)that I surely put that bottom bolt with the washer (ahem) but since that looks like the location of the leak...well...hahahhaha...:7_6_3[1]:

I just finished a 80 mile trip on her running 75-80...so...it runs...it goes...life is good...bluetooth earbuds jammed in the ears with my Christian music...just running the road and praying...:680:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Way-Starter-Clutch-Gasket-Yamaha-Ventrue-Royale-VMAX-VMX-1200-1300-82-07/321913218497?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D4eda7ab6e8444e08b0e289e857342169%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D11%26sd%3D151994633844%26itm%3D321913218497&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

That's a current listing on ebay for $45.00. I first took my flywheel off so I could inspect everything before I purchased the parts as I seen the big starter gear could have been an issue. However, when I took mine apart the gear was perfectly fine. It was the starter clutch housing that was cracked to heck. IF I had to do this again I'd go Dano's route as I think it's 100% worth it. Heck, if the bike was to be sold for parts and I had my flywheel done by Dano I'd pull it off and sell it because I know someone would want it! :buttkick:

Oh yeah, chase the bolt holes with a tap before you put the new bolts in (use torque wrench). Removing the flywheel / reinstalling it is the hardest thing (use torque wrench!). Harbor Freight is the best place for all your torque wrenches and a metric tap set if you need them. We love Harbor Freight on this board...:amen::amen::amen:

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used the heavy duty (6 instead of 3) starter clutch on eBay for $50 to $67? Thanks.

I put one in my 86 because I knew I was going to buy a 2nd gen soon and saved a little cash. I don't have enough miles to give much opinion but works so far. If I was keeping one long term I'd go with Dano's mod. Haven't heard anything that would discourage me from that investment.