IGNORED

venture and roadstar HP and torque

Guest redbike

Guest redbike

Hi,

I have a Roadstar and am thinking of trading for a "venture", anyone know what kind of difference I'll find with Horsepower and torque? thanks, eric

Guest tx2sturgis
Hi,

I have a Roadstar and am thinking of trading for a "venture", anyone know what kind of difference I'll find with Horsepower and torque? thanks, eric

Yep...we sure do.

Guest tx2sturgis

Oh...the answer...ok...:cool10:

Yeah...the Venture will have more horsepower but less torque I beleive.

Having previously owned a Roadstar and currently owning a Venture, I can tell you the differences.

The Roadstar has GOBS of low end bottom torque. The Venture does not. The Roadstar shakes and vibrates at all RPM's. The Venture does not. The Roadstar revs up early and lacks top end power. The Venture does not.

The Venture likes to rev up. You almost need to run it up to the rev limiter to get the potential out of this engine. It's great on top end power.

The Roadstar is around 60hp with 99lb/ft of torque, the Venture has 98hp and around 89lb/ft of torque. The torque is close on both machines, but the Roadstar will have almost all of it off idle, whereas the Venture will have to be wound up a bit.

I liked the Roadstar, put 40,000 miles on it in 3 years. It wasn't very comfortable riding 2-up for long distances. Solo it was fine for me. Ive put about 15,000 miles on my Venture since June last year. The fairing is good wind protection and the passenger area is the best of all motorcycles.

My 2nd broken belt was the determining factor for getting rid of the Roadstar. The shaft drive of the Venture will most likely never give me any grief.

Sounds like you are assuming he his speaking of a 2nd Gen, LMAO!

Now the 1st gen blows the 2nd gen clean out the water and off the road!!!!! In fact, we usually have to wait for them or go back and get them because they are looking for things that fell off, LMAO!

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

JT, yer turn!

Sounds like you are assuming he his speaking of a 2nd Gen, LMAO!

Now the 1st gen blows the 2nd gen clean out the water and off the road!!!!! In fact, we usually have to wait for them or go back and get them because they are looking for things that fell off, LMAO!

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

JT, yer turn!

Don't pat any attention to him he is delusional I guess thats also why he rides an antique goldwing copy.

Don't pat any attention to him he is delusional I guess thats also why he rides an antique goldwing copy.

And you ride a close to antique Harley copy that requires a full mile to reach the speed we reach in a 1/4 mile? :big-grin-emoticon:

redbike, seriously, the 2nd gen is a very nice bike and well worth owning! It will last a severely long time. Many 1st gens here prove that point.

The guy in the thread below is on his way home from just buying one.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21990

I have never owned a Road Star, but my buddy rides one. I can let him take off, catch him, then move ahead, slow down, move ahead, slow down, move ahead, slow down... ( I like watching him wave at me:innocent:) I hope you are getting the picture here. From a dead take off with me being 2 up and him solo, he never has a chance. In less than a bike length I am pulling away. And this is a man that has raced dirt bikes and ridden 350k road miles over the last 15 yrs, so he knows how to make the Road Star run.

We did try a little experiment :whistling: with me on the Venture and him in his Firebird with the LS1 engine. (350 HP stock). I got him out of the hole and could hold him off til I went into 3rd gear:confused24:. After that he just had too much torque.:crying:

Guest tx2sturgis

We did try a little experiment :whistling: with me on the Venture and him in his Firebird with the LS1 engine. (350 HP stock). I got him out of the hole and could hold him off til I went into 3rd gear:confused24:. After that he just had too much torque.:crying:

Got video??? Put it on YOUTUBE!

Guest k4sfc@bellsouth.net
Hi,

In July I purchased new a 2007 RoadStar Midnight Silverado, 1700cc "V"-Twin. Then in Nov 2007 I purchased a new 2008 RSV "V"-Four, 1300cc. I find them both to be very fast, but the RSV handles the curves better. I was very amazed at that. I weigh 225 and find the RSV to be MUCH more comfortable. BUT the Silverado is much more forgiving if you get a little off balance. I've dropped the RSV twice already because it is such a heavy beast. Also the seat on the Silverado is closer to the ground which is a plus for keeping it upright if it tilts on you. I rode both bikes yesterday back to back and much prefer the RSV. Some people love the "V-Twins" and the way they sound...but I prefer the "Sport-Car" sound of the "V-four" of the RSV. It's still a fairly low-rev setup and sounds nothing like the high-revving "Crotch-Rockets". If your riding is mainly going to "Bike-Nights", the Silverado is great. For long distance the RSV gets my nod. My MPG on the Silverado is 43. On the RSV it's 40! I use premium gas in both bikes. Oh, two more things..the Silverado lugs badly in top gear at 45 mph. The RSV is happy at 40 mph in top gear. Makes a difference at low speed riding mpg. Plus you don't have to shift so many times. Last, the Silverado gets blown around a lot on the Inter-State highways, the RSV does not! Hope this info helps make up your mind. My Silverado is "FOR SALE".

Hi everybody,

About 3 weeks ago I purchased an 07 venture, I used to have a vulcan 1600 classic. Let me say, I love my bike. I've been seeing all kinds of numbers being thrown out about the torque and HP. So, what is it (I'm assuming a 2nd gen RSV)? Also, I'm not used to a 4 cylinder. I know you can wind it out a lot more, but man I'm afraid of blowing my engine. I'm thinking about getting a tach any recommendations? Also, has anybody switch the saddlebag bolts to some kind of quick release system..any recommendations? Only two more questions (smile), anybody switch out the 2 antennas to some kind of low profile. Last question, anybody get passenger arm rests?

LOL, It just occurred to me that I'm the "new guy" with all the questons! LOL Any advice/help I would really appreciate it. Also, I live in NC, just north of Raleigh/Wake Forest; I would love to see some other RSVs sometimes.

Thanks everybody,

Larry

Larry

Just wind it out to the rev limiter. The rev limiter actually hits earlier then needed. The engine is good for more and some here have changed the limiter.

My 07 hits the limiter at about 45 in first, 62 in second and 85 in third, regularly! Now it does sound like crap when you hit it so just get used to the RPM and shift just before. I used to want to add a tach but not anymore.

Jerry

If I remember correctly the Venture is 98hp and 89 ft lbs at the crank compared to 63 hp and 99 ft lbs for the road star.

Cheers Steve

Whoops. I was way off on the torque of the Venture.

Yes, it's 98hp and 89lb/ft of torque.

I will edit my first post to show this.

Larry

Just wind it out to the rev limiter. The rev limiter actually hits earlier then needed. The engine is good for more and some here have changed the limiter.

My 07 hits the limiter at about 45 in first, 62 in second and 85 in third, regularly! Now it does sound like crap when you hit it so just get used to the RPM and shift just before. I used to want to add a tach but not anymore.

Jerry

Yep, you're not going to hurt the engine by bouncing it off the rev limiter. It's too low from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cwil2988

[quote=larrysyner;

Also, has anybody switch the saddlebag bolts to some kind of quick release system..any recommendations?

Thanks everybody,

Larry

I saw somebody on Ebay selling something to do this with the other day

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330232909025&rd=1

thisauction is ended, but I think this person will probably list more (and, I believe, they are a member on here also):fishin: