IGNORED

Couple questions about the 18 Venture

So I test rode an 18 Star Venture this weekend and liked it but there were a couple things that I didn't like or would need to change.

The biggest issue that I had was the heat on the my lower legs. I ride with my feet towards the rear, more upright as I have tailbone issues (stock seating was very comfortable btw). Is there any kind of fan assist to remove some of the heat while stopped or in traffic. On my Road King I have a fan that blows the air down so I don't burn up. This is a HUGE deal breaker for me. Dealer said they might be able to wrap the exhaust so if anyone has any experience with this I'd be interested to hear that.

The rest is just customization for me...

windshield, looking for some kind or recurve to get some more air up and over my passenger. she's not tall at all, 5'4" but she said she gets loads more air than any of my other bikes or the indian roadmaster we tested also.

exhaust, I need louder. I've been on Harley's for the last 6 years :p

handlebars, looks like I can do some risers, just need up maybe a couple inches all though I might be able to go as is

I just really need to deal with the heat. I did have the lower vents closed and I'm sure with them open it wouldn't be an issue while moving but if I got caught in traffic... omph I cringe at that idea. If I didn't have that heat issue, I'd probably have the ventur in the garage this morning :p

REALLY love the look and it's the comfiest stock bike I've ever ridden.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

So I test rode an 18 Star Venture this weekend and liked it but there were a couple things that I didn't like or would need to change.

The biggest issue that I had was the heat on the my lower legs. I ride with my feet towards the rear, more upright as I have tailbone issues (stock seating was very comfortable btw). Is there any kind of fan assist to remove some of the heat while stopped or in traffic. On my Road King I have a fan that blows the air down so I don't burn up. This is a HUGE deal breaker for me. Dealer said they might be able to wrap the exhaust so if anyone has any experience with this I'd be interested to hear that.

windshield, looking for some kind or recurve to get some more air up and over my passenger. she's not tall at all, 5'4" but she said she gets loads more air than any of my other bikes or the indian roadmaster we tested also.

handlebars, looks like I can do some risers, just need up maybe a couple inches all though I might be able to go as is

I just really need to deal with the heat. I did have the lower vents closed and I'm sure with them open it wouldn't be an issue while moving but if I got caught in traffic... omph I cringe at that idea. If I didn't have that heat issue, I'd probably have the ventur in the garage this morning :p

I was the first one to own an SVTC in the Southeast region. Have over 15k mikes on here so far. Let’s take the issues one at a time.

1. HEAT- The mileage of the bike plays a big part in the initial heat you feel. I’ve noticed the heat decrease as the bike has broken in. Obviously heat is caused by friction and a newer bike WILL have more heat. NO, there are no fans to direct the heat, but it doesn’t mean something couldn’t be tailored to your desires. Remember, this is a Transcontinental Touring bike, not a “commuter”. If your planning on daily running it in heavy traffic, you’ll be fine in temps up to 80 degrees. I found above that it does get warm, but nothing that I felt personally was intolerable. I read that you didn’t have the lower vents open. They do take away heat while riding BUT they in doing so, they help take heat away so there’s not as much build up. If you search around you’ll find most ex HD & Victory V-Twin air cooled riders say this bike is not as hot. BTW, wrapping the exhaust doesn’t eliminate anything. It’s “air cooled” so you’ll just cause other areas to become hotter by not allowing the heat to dissipate. The heat DOES become less once the bike wears in and overall friction decreases.

2. EXHAUST- I personally contacted BOTH Vance&Hines and Cobra, neither of which have any plans to make aftermarket products for it “at this time”. There is an instructional video (with sound) of a guy who “drilled out” his baffles. It did give more of a raw HD sound to it, but “most” people don’t think it needs it.

Additionally, all us owners here have reported the exhaust note “maturing” after a few thousand miles of “burn in”. It became slightly louder and had a deeper note to it.

3. WINDSHIELD- I was wondering if you had the windshield adjusted all the way up? J&P Cycles I believe offers a “taller/wider” windshield for the new Venture. It’s 2.5” taller and 4” wider and runs for $129.00

4. HANDLEBARS- There are a number of people who have installed 2” risers to give them what you’re looking for. Freebird is one of them. There was also no problem with the cabling to accommodate the 2” risers. I’ve also heard of some changing the handlebars completely but have had to do some modifications for the grips to be re-installed. I don’t know if the cabling for the new bars was an issue. A little bit of research and you can probably find the story of what they encountered.

5. RIDING POSITION- I understand you have a physical limitation/condition dictating your riding position. You might want to consider an “air doughnut”. It will keep the pressure off your tailbone and allow you to stretch out more.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions about functions or anything else, let me know.

I bought my 2018 SVTC in June. Did have heat on my left thigh at first. After about 1500 miles it started going away. Bought the Yamaha lower deflectors that match the upper deflectors on the fairing and that helped. Have over 4000 miles on bike and heat issue is pretty much unnoticeable now. Usually keep the lower vents closed now and use the wind deflectors to adjust air flow.

The Rox 2" Risers make a huge difference on the handlebars and work with the cables fine.

I drilled out the baffles and it sounds better. Not load but I can hear the exhaust when riding now especially when I twist the throttle.

When you test rode did you adjust the windshield up and down?

And did you try both Tour and Sport modes. The throttle response is different depending on which mode you are using.

I love my SVTC and have not regretted buying it one bit.

HI, try looking at BIGBIKEPARTS, thry have a heat deflector for the venture,i think the brand is Hopnel.

I test rode the Eluder (525 mile day ride) and the Venture (iron butt attempt- only 5xx miles that day) and I have to agree that the heat off the left side is a deal breaker for me. I test rode for ultimatemotorcycling.com and it happened to be before summer I rode through Death Valley. At one point I was watching air temp and at 73 degrees on the infotainment screen I was riding about 30 mph and for the first time in my life I felt my body temp rise and my arm pits started actually dripping sweat. I had the bars at full up so my pits were wide open and drip drip drip. Everyone has a different heat tolerance and mine must be low because riding the SVT for just a few minutes at low speed- not stopped- I was personally getting cooked.

Your experience may vary....

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, test rode again yesterday but the dealer I went to would only let me do about 20 miles...

heat was MUCH better with the vents open while riding. I'm confident that the heat will be manageable the more it breaks in and the additional lower fairing deflectors I'd add.

I posted in the handlebar thread with my concern about using risers (possible view obstruction of infotainment and or gauges).

Wife did mention again that the wind was an issue for her (not a deal breaker but she did mention it again).

On the way home on my Road King, I was on a long stretch of highway with the cruise set at 80 and had a Mustang then Porsche roll past me, I took the opportunity to adjust my speed to there's. My wife asked me when we got home how fast I was going and then made the statement that she didn't think she would be able to go that fast on the Venture :/

It's not like I'm a speed demon and I do try to stay off the highways when possible. In this instance we were in line for the ferry and there was a 2 hour wait, I turned around and went the long way home which is pretty much all Interstate.

I'm not sure at this point if I'm just trying to find an excuse NOT to buy this bike lol

Thanks to all that have replied as well as those that continue to reply, I appreciate the insight.