IGNORED

Sounds like the fuel pump....

Scifiman

Dave I think you are beating yourself up over nothing. Like I said before mine does the same thing . I run it till it sputters then turn to reserve and ride another 20-25 miles to get gas.

You may be correct. I guess what is throwing me is the sudden change after the carb sync, that and the fact the issue occurs at 1/4 tank and at highway speeds.

Put the tank back on and out for a nice highway spin, and of course at the 1/4 tank mark on the highway, sputter sputter, had the spare key in the gas cap and popped it, no difference so I guess that rules out any type of vent issue.

Dave,

My RSV always sputters with 2 bars left in tank. I switch to reserve and move on.

When it sputters...I can also pull over and move bike side to side and run about 10 more miles then she sputters again. By rocking, I'm moving gas from right side to left side of tank. At least, that's my theory anyway!

If I fill up, I have around 1.6 gallons left.

I'm going with my gas gauge being off. I never see the warning light nor does the gauge count change.

It's the nature of my beast, I guess.

Dave,

My RSV always sputters with 2 bars left in tank. I switch to reserve and move on.

When it sputters...I can also pull over and move bike side to side and run about 10 more miles then she sputters again. By rocking, I'm moving gas from right side to left side of tank. At least, that's my theory anyway!

If I fill up, I have around 1.6 gallons left.

I'm going with my gas gauge being off. I never see the warning light nor does the gauge count change.

It's the nature of my beast, I guess.

Mine's the same, 2 bars, light on and about 7km on the reserve distance meter, and I get the splutters!

On the RSV they say it is a 6 gallon tank but with what is left in the tank and the air pocket at the top I have never been able to put 5.5 gallon in it. And that is when I started to sputter as I pulled in the station after running out on reserve. Any further and I would have been pushing it to the pump. And that was the last time that I have ran reserve that close to empty.

Success! Well sort of...

First tank of gas that I have not had the stalling issue at the 1/4 tank level, which is great, however I changed 3 different variables, so not sure which had the desired effect.

Left petcock set on Reserve for this tank but I also adjusted the idle down as it was way too high and plugged the AIS to solve a back fire issue I was having with the Monster Ovals, so not sure which solved the problem, I wouldn't imagine the AIS would have had anything to do with it so petcock or idle, guess I will set the petcock to ON for this tank and see if the issue returns.

Success! Well sort of...

First tank of gas that I have not had the stalling issue at the 1/4 tank level, which is great, however I changed 3 different variables, so not sure which had the desired effect.

Left petcock set on Reserve for this tank but I also adjusted the idle down as it was way too high and plugged the AIS to solve a back fire issue I was having with the Monster Ovals, so not sure which solved the problem, I wouldn't imagine the AIS would have had anything to do with it so petcock or idle, guess I will set the petcock to ON for this tank and see if the issue returns.

At least you're getting riding time while sorting this out. You sound like me, changing more than one variable. :think:

Good luck

• 8 months later...

Well the issue did return, starved for fuel at 1/4 tank while at highway speeds, but I think I have it licked now...

...changed out the points on the fuel pump, looks like it had been running intermittently, and with the full draw at highway speeds and the lack of any gravity assist below 1/4 a tank she just couldn't keep up.

4th tank now and the problem has not reappeared.

:canada:

Well the issue did return, starved for fuel at 1/4 tank while at highway speeds, but I think I have it licked now...

...changed out the points on the fuel pump, looks like it had been running intermittently, and with the full draw at highway speeds and the lack of any gravity assist below 1/4 a tank she just couldn't keep up.

4th tank now and the problem has not reappeared.

:canada:

:sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On::sign Rock On: