IGNORED

Oil change with new weight

I put around 3.2K miles on my new to me Gen 1. When I got it I changed the oil and used 5W-20.

This time I used 10W-40 and I'm pleasantly surprised on a couple of things:

1. The starter bogging down issue has improved a lot.

2. The clutch feels more snappy

Maybe it's all in my head but all the voices can't be wrong. @(~_o)@

• 4 months later...

I found out one thing this past summer. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, use Lucas Oil Stabilizer!!! I did an oil changed (20W50), added the Lucas, and no sooner than I had it in my 3rd gear slipped! Lucas had replied to an email I sent them about using that in the oil and they told me it would work, wouldn't harm anything, and what ratio to us. Yeah, NOT!!!!

As soon as I got home I had to DUMP the oil, get yet another filter, and back to 10W-40. My problem cleared up but I still want to replace the clutches after that.

Yet another learning experience. Straight motorcycle grade ONLY oil should be used in this engine unless you're just DYING to screw your clutches.

Unless you really burned the clutch while it was slipping it will be just fine after another oil change.

You do not necessarily need another new filter but I would take the current new filter out to drain that oil and maybe even wash and dry the filter and reuse it. I would also remove the bottom screw of the middle gear cover and put the bike on the side stand to drain the contaminated oil out of the transmission.

Even though you changed the oil there is still nearly a quart of the lucas contaminated oil still in there, the next oil change will have it cleared out.

Yup, what Jeff said! We have what is known as a "wet" clutch and any kind of friction modifier will cause it to slip! I doubt you burned out your discs but you may want to consider removing all the discs and soaking them in a suitable solvent to remove any trace of the additive followed by soaking the discs in straight motor oil for a little while before reassembling the clutch assembly...