IGNORED

New riding rules???

markellis

Visible and predictable!! You need to always think about what's going to happen around you. If you are riding in two way traffic and you ride to the right you will not be seen by the oncomming traffic and this will prompt more instances of left turns in front of you. You should always stay to the left so oncomming can see your headlight. In multiple lane traffic like an Interstate lane positioning will depend on the lane and who is most likely to change lanes into you. You should always try to stay in one of the outside lanes so you have the emergency lane to move into if someone comes over on you. You should then position yourself for greatest visibility. If you're in the far right lane then you should be to the left and if you're in the far left lane then you should be to the right. That puts you square in the side mirror of the cage that would be most likely to move over on you. The only exception is in a left curve because you will be out of the field of view no matter where you are. Then you may want to move to the left through the curve and reposition once you straighten out. In a group ride the point should always be to the left. That positions the point where it should be for the two way traffic. In multiple lane traffic lane changes should be coordinated with the sweep rider anyway and the second rider will still have the attention of the cage to the right if you're all the way to the left. I ride 100 miles day in Atlanta Interstate traffic and this had served me very well. I've never had much trouble when the cagers know I'm there. (A$$ holes excluded of coarse)

Absolutely!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Chuck

Yo Bill chill man... They're talkin about "group riding" ... Not the Harley guy with straight pipes that pulls up beside ya and starts reving his motor so much you can't hear your Barry Manilow CD...
group riding or not. i don't like having my space violated. be it a car or a motorcycle. don't like anyone passing me in my lane ,don't like tailgators, just stay out of my section of road and we'll get along fine, and i'll respect your section of road. :2133:

Bill, I'm surprised at you. Barry Manilo? I always had you pegged as a Patsy Cline kind of guy. :rotf::rotf: I agree with Bill though, I don't like riding tandem in my lane either.:no-no-no::no-no-no:
i like george, marty, and merle, and patsy too. :cool10: :2133: who the heck is barry manilow. :rasberry:

Guest tx2sturgis
group riding or not. i don't like having my space violated. be it a car or a motorcycle. don't like anyone passing me in my lane ,don't like tailgators, just stay out of my section of road and we'll get along fine, and i'll respect your section of road. :2133:

Well...its one thing to try to maintain a 'space cushion' around you...especially with 4 wheel traffic...but group riding requires a certain 'social' aspect to riding, and riders will end up next to you in your lane, especially at stops. If you dislike that, maybe you should avoid group riding. I'm guessing, you probably already do that.

Well...its one thing to try to maintain a 'space cushion' around you...especially with 4 wheel traffic...but group riding requires a certain 'social' aspect to riding, and riders will end up next to you in your lane, especially at stops. If you dislike that, maybe you should avoid group riding. I'm guessing, you probably already do that.

Don't take Bill tooo seriously. He loves riding with our groups and is a lot of fun to be around. He just doesn't like strangers in his space. :no-no-no::no-no-no: I've had the same things happen to me. Guys I don't know pulling next to me at a light or passing me in my lane. If I want someone to go around me in my lane, I'll slide to the right and motion for them to go around. Then and only then do I want to share an 8' wide strip of concrete with a total stranger in a bigger hurry than I am.

it really po's me when some one tries to come along side me at a stoplight.

I don't get this. I like it when another rider comes up beside at a stop light...for 2 reason's ..... an opportunity to meet another biker .... and another opportunity to smoke another biker !

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't get this. I like it when another rider comes up beside at a stop light...for 2 reason's ..... an opportunity to meet another biker .... and another opportunity to smoke another biker !

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Right. And say "Hi" if its a cute little biker babe.

:whistling:

i'm a right line rider,never a center rider,left line rider when,i'm hauling a!!!!,my space is there space if they want it,ride the shoulders to let others pass,tail gaters are safer in front of me,not behind,try not to piss any drivers off,my life is worth a lot more,than my space:detective:

When I started riding 25yrs ago, I did a motorcycle driver training course. We were constantly told to "claim your lane" and ride on the left of the lane you are in if you are the only bike or the lead in a group. In group situations, always stagger opposite from the rider in front of you. I've always followed this rule - as do the riders I travel with - and vary only when rough road conditions require me to move in the lane. The staggering seems obvious to give each bike the most room in case of "whatever". I think riding to the left keeps opposing traffic in their own lane, and gives you the most room to maneuver to avoid obstacles.

I'll usually take the opposite side to whatever the rider in front of me is riding, and my only bother is riders who drift back and forth for no reason... I say pick a spot and stay in it!

Better yet , Just bounce all over the lane from side to side ! Them there following must think you under the influence or just plain darn CRAZY . Then they hopefully themselves start to think more of what's going on and be more observant of you and give you your space .

Besides for us flat landers , it gives us an opportunity to get even tire wear on the side walls . :rotf::rotf:

BEER30

In Pennsylvania, about half of the test you take to get your MC permit is questions about what part of the lane to be in. The study manual says break the lane into thirds, and then on the given situation you should be in the correct third. Such as bends, passing, approaching intersections, etc.; alot of it has to do with where other vehicles are. Basically they suggest always giving yourself enough space to be able to avoid someone that moves into your space.

When I ride in a group we always stagger with the lead in the left of the lane. I prefer to be in one of the tire tracks instead of the center because my thinking is that if there was something on the road like a dead animal, rock or whatever, if a car traveled down the road before me the cars tires either kicked the debris out of the tire track or at least the dead animal has been squashed enough that I will just go over it if I don't see it in time to swerve and it's not like driving over a curb.