IGNORED

Slots in handlebars?

Can you take a picture of what you are talking about and post it? If you mean the riser part of the bars, there is a cover that goes over the outsides that hide the throttle cables, wiring harnesses, and hydraulic hoses. If you mean the joint where the risers and the handlebar parts bolt together, there is supposed to be a rubber plug hiding the nut.

On a side note, there is a member here who designed a pair of short posts that are threaded and take the place of those nuts and provide a place to bolt on a GPS, cell phone mount, or whatever you want to put on those posts. They are called "Snagglepus Studs" after member Snagglepus...

I have an 83 venture 1200 that i just bought, and i am curious as to what the slots are on the inside of both handlebars. Im sure the intent was for something to be mounted there..but what?

Yep, know what you mean and I'm not sure what it's there fore. Always been a mystery to me too. There was an aftermarket chrome piece that just sticks on the area, but the slot isn't needed for that either... Maybe someone know's exactely for sure???

My '82 XJ750 Maxim has a similar bar system and they have the same milled recessed "slots" as the Venture bars. I've never seen any thing made for them. I think they are simply an aesthetic design feature rather than a functional one.

Oh, THOSE slots! I just walked out to the garage and looked at Goldie!

Those slots are for the riser piece to "pinch" and capture the handlebar section so that they are more rigid...

That's partly right. the slots allow the riser to be pinched without popping out the centre filler piece. If they were not there the bolts would most likely strip the threads before allowing enough pressure to grip the handlebar stubs. The circular hole at the end of the slot in the cover piece allows enough flex so the cover piece does not eventually crack from the pressure.

I was told it helps to tie it down on a trailer. Maybe maybe not.
That makes the most sense to me. I've spent many miles trying to imagine what I could create to put across there to hold a small bag or Mount phones in addition to my tank bag... the head of a good size bolt would fit in there and a bar could be made to cross the span easy enough but how to screw it on from both ends without having a seam in the bar would be pretty much impossible. Unless it was preset and just wedged in tight as you pushed it down the slot. Maybe that would be just too dangerous anyway...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes they were. Here is my original thread. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?69334-Another-new-way-to-mount-stuff-on-a-1st-gen-handlebar&highlight=Snagglestuds

Mr. Meyers ended up producing them. He went a few steps further and drilled and tapped both ends to allow adding a ball stud on the inner end for a ram mount also. His were nicely machined and rounded off. I used to have some pics of his but they have wandered off.