IGNORED

CB antenna?

Toeman

I just purchased a CB antenna for my RSV as it was missing when I bought it. I looked up the part number and ordered it from Bike Bandit. It arrived yesterday and I installed it. I noticed that it is virtually identical to the radio antenna on the left side of the bike. In addition I cannot seem to pull up the embossed metal cylinder portion at the bottom to allow it to collapse.

I happened to notice a RSV for sale in the classified section of venture rider and noticed that his cb antenna is a whip antenna and does not have the black coil in the middle of the antenna. I looked up the yamaha part number again to confirm that it was indeed a cb antenna.

Does anyone know if the cb antenna is supposed to have the black coil structure in the middle of the antenna and if it can be folded over?

Thank you,

The CB antenna should absolutely have the load coil. Look at part number 35.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2005-yamaha-royal-star-midnight-venture-ca-xvz13tfmtc/o/m145390#sch524850

thanks so much. Makes me wonder if the antenna I have on the left side of the bike is actually a cb antenna. Does the radio antenna have a loading coil? Shouldn't the cb antenna collapse as well?

The radio antenna is a straight antenna (no coil) and goes on the left side of the bike. The CB antenna has a coil about mid way and goes on the right.

A lot of shops assembled the RSV incorrectly and put the antennas on the wrong side. If the antenna on the right side of your bike has a coil, then yours were put in the wrong spots.

To fold the antenna down, you lift the collar at the base of the antenna (don't think it unscrews) and the antenna folds towards the front of the bike. Try folding it in different directions in case yours doesn't point forward.

OK...ignore what Don just told you. He got the first half wrong and the last half right. The CB antenna goes on the left side. AM/FM antenna on the right side. They both fold. The AM/FM antenna does NOT have a coil and should be on the right side. Antenna with the coil is the CB antenna, LEFT side. If you trace the wire from the bottom of the CB antenna, it should go into the box under the trunk.

OK...ignore what Don just told you. He got the first half wrong and the last half right. The CB antenna goes on the left side. AM/FM antenna on the right side. They both fold. The AM/FM antenna does NOT have a coil and should be on the right side. Antenna with the coil is the CB antenna, LEFT side. If you trace the wire from the bottom of the CB antenna, it should go into the box under the trunk.

LOL - don't know my left from my other left but eventually got it right. Sorry for the confusion.

Over the years I have tried numerous times and many different ways but could never get my to fold. It should would be handy on a rainy day like today when the cover goes on at work. Help?

The knurled sleeve pulls straight up and will turn to unloosen if it's jambed. Over time it can get jambed down really tight and you need a 'tool' to get it to move. A soft rag and channel locs will work. A little lube will keep it from happening again. Here are a couple of pics of what the CB Antenna looks like and what's under the sleeve. For those sharpies that are really observant you'll notice that the CB is mounted on the Radio bracket. The CB has about a 2' co-ax. The radio co-ax is longer and runs to the front of the bike. They came that way when I bought the set... Easy fix..someday..:-)

2018-07-13 08.18.28 (Medium).jpg 2018-07-13 08.17.16 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Condor

DSC04106.JPG

Thanks for the info but my look different than the ones you pictured. I tried penetrating oil, channel locks with a piece of rubber and all I can accomplish is to loosen/tighten the whole antenna.

Those look like antennas from a '99 model. About the only thing that Yamaha changes on these bikes for the entire production run was the antennas. I wonder if somebody installed '99's on your bike for some reason. If so, you should just change them both out to the later model style.

Never mind, I see that you DO ride a '99 so yours are not the same as what we are discussing. The '99 antennas were a bad design. They would also get corrosion where the antenna is supposed to be press fit over a metal stud and cause reception and transmitting issues. Most people changed them out fairly early on. You can go with the 2000 and later RSV antennas or switch to an aftermarket antenna. I have Firestiks on my 2005.

... About the only thing that Yamaha changes on these bikes for the entire production run was the antennas......

And :

- seats

- support under trunk (prevent cracking) added

- "basket"

- colour

- tank emblem

- "Yamaha" label on trunk near lock

- left (yes the left) saddlebag connector for CD/iSimple was added

Those look like antennas from a '99 model. About the only thing that Yamaha changes on these bikes for the entire production run was the antennas. I wonder if somebody installed '99's on your bike for some reason. If so, you should just change them both out to the later model style.

Never mind, I see that you DO ride a '99 so yours are not the same as what we are discussing. The '99 antennas were a bad design. They would also get corrosion where the antenna is supposed to be press fit over a metal stud and cause reception and transmitting issues. Most people changed them out fairly early on. You can go with the 2000 and later RSV antennas or switch to an aftermarket antenna. I have Firestiks on my 2005.

Just looked out my office window and my '99 has the old style antenna on the WRONG sides. I don't use the CB and honestly never notice poor (any worse than the car) AM/FM reception.

1. Does anyone know the OEM part numbers for the later model antenna?

2. Is there a reason to go Firestick vs OEM?

That's what I did on my 99. It took a little McGuivering 'cause I wanted to keep the 99 co-ax. I can't remember exactly what I did but it had something to do with the tearing the connector apart and putting it back together somehow??.

MY 99

P1000517 (Large).JPG