IGNORED

Forks air pressure for 05 RSTD set up solo

How much air pressure do you guys run in the forks when you run solo on a RSTD?

On my 86 VR, I found that no air worked best for me. (front end)

If I decide to do the same on the RSTD, I plan on taking the air valves off so I can raise the tubes up 1" to lower the front end.

That is why I am asking.

As far as pressure in the rear, I have no idea what to run in this bike.

Thanks,

Steve

You'll get a lot of different responses on this one.. as suspension is subjective. What works for you may not for someone else. That said.. I'm riding solo and run 6 lbs up front and 15-17 in the rear. Try different PSIs... it's free.

You'll get a lot of different responses on this one.. as suspension is subjective. What works for you may not for someone else. That said.. I'm riding solo and run 6 lbs up front and 15-17 in the rear. Try different PSIs... it's free.

I would agree with this statement also, all depends on how you ride and what level of comfort your looking for. I varied from 1 up and empty to 2 up and loaded, I like to play in the twisties so I usually have a stiffer suspension setting to get the performance I want.

Best thing to do is go up and down in 5 to 7 lb incriments and see what works best for your riding style. The front fork are 7 lbs max if I'm not mistaken and on my G2's, the rear was 50 lbs....hope this helps out a bit :)

Guest Rogerover

Hello Eagleye -

I got the same bike and the same problems as you have. Tried to slide my fork tubes up in

the trees to lower the front end - could only get ~1/2". Handlebars hit the air valves.

That sucks. Apparently works only for Ventures.

I like 5-6 lbs in the front. I like the front end a little stiffer. Based on what some of the guys on these posts commented, I dropped the rear pressure down to 25. Seems to be working good.

I was also considering the Barons front end lowering kit, but didn't really want to spend the bucks. I'm going to keep watching to see what any of the guys who try them have to say.

RSTD is a great bike. A little top heavy, seat sucks and the handlebars are goofy. But otherwise a real good package.

BTW - Think I was close to your area last week. West of Madison?

Rogerover

I don't run any at all in the front. The reason you put it in the rear it to change the center of gravity. The front end is a little swirly without any in the rear for me. So, I run about 4o lbs pert near all the time. Makes the front end more solid in the corners.

Every little bit you put in the rear moves the CG forward, do so until you get the right balance. I see no point in moving it rearward by adding to the front. If you want to stiffen the front up, better to change the fork oil IMO.

Thanks for the replies you guys. And thanks for the compliment Emack.

Yesterday after work, I went to the harley shop and bought one of those air pumps, so I'll start by trying 3 in the front and 15 in the back and switch pressures from there.

Hey Rogerover, where do you live? I'm in Sauk City. You can look up my cell in my assistance info. Give me a call and we can get together sometime.

My ultimate goal is to lower front and rear. I've got a barons kit comming from a member. More about that later. I also have a milling machine in my garage, and it's close to getting hooked up. The very first thing that I'm gonna make is a pair of riser extensions, so I can shove the tubes up about an 1" or so. I'll let you know how that works out.

One more thing: Of all of the bikes that I've owned, and there have been a bunch, no bike has put a bigger smile on my face than this RSTD--Man, I love this bike!

Thanks,

Steve