IGNORED

What is this,and is is making my battery go down

mY BEAITIFUL 87 i JUST GOT 2 DAYS AGO.i WENT OUT TO START IT.BATTERY ALMOST COMPLETELY DEAD.lIGHTS CAM ON, BUT starter would barely crank.I took the battery to autozone.Only had 2% charge.Guy said something is draining my battery.After 1 hour charge it fired right up no problem.When riding the voltmeter shows about 14, hard to tell the exact number.This wire is sticking out, a silver wire that the end was bent hooklike it was used to be under a screw somewhere, maybe the pos battery post,what is it and could it have caused the battery to run down.My battery is a 2016 according to them so I know it could be about worn out.20180604_111949(1).jpg

Is the battery indicator lite on the computer panel between the gauges? This appears to me to be someones attempt to supply the voltage to the sensor for the battery to keep the battery icon turned off. Yes it does appear to have been connected to the postive post of the battery or to the ignition side of the fuse panel.

To check and see if you have a battery draw, pull the postive battery cable off and see it you get a spark. If so, then I would reconnect the batter and pull fuses and measure voltage across the terminal and see if you get a voltage reading. This should help you narrow it down as to what system is pulling the battery down.

Good luck..

Rick F.

Here is the PROPER way to fix the battery sensor. Under that insulator, there should be a resistor with a value of around 2000 to 4000 ohms. One end of the resistor goes to the sensor wire, and the other end goes to ACCESSORY, not directly to the battery!!! Although the current draw is small, it is still there, and after a couple of weeks setting it could drain the battery.

Here is the PROPER way to fix the battery sensor. Under that insulator, there should be a resistor with a value of around 2000 to 4000 ohms. One end of the resistor goes to the sensor wire, and the other end goes to ACCESSORY, not directly to the battery!!! Although the current draw is small, it is still there, and after a couple of weeks setting it could drain the battery.

It would drain the battery, unless you added it to a switched terminal, then there would be no drain at all.

so, the answer is? Can that loose wire drain the battery? I rode today and no problem, but maybe thats because a slow drain is going on?

A disconnected wire will never drain a battery.

When you go back to post 2 and disconnect the battery cable, a spark means there is a fairly large drain, while that battery cable is disconnected, connect an Amp meter between the cable and the terminal. Let us know what that reads, that will tell us where to point you next.

A disconnected wire will never drain a battery.

When you go back to post 2 and disconnect the battery cable, a spark means there is a fairly large drain, while that battery cable is disconnected, connect an Amp meter between the cable and the terminal. Let us know what that reads, that will tell us where to point you next.

ok. this bike is near perfect.The battery is staying up. I didnt do anything one way or the other except inadvertently disconnect that resistor. Its been 107 degrees.My next day off at about 4 am I am going to pull into the garage and check this out.friday 6/8.thanks a bunch for the help.