IGNORED

2008 VentureRider Rally concerns

Guest ReinyRooster

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my take on the whole thing....Apparently we have a lot of members in Ontario Canada... Many of which are quite local to the area of Kitchener/southern Ontario. Now to register for an event which I am not able to fully attend, doesn't seem fair. I will not be eating the daily breakfasts, nor the wrapup dinner, I am hoping that it will be ok for me to show up on any given day, meet with all you folks, buy a shirt, a raffle ticket, go for a ride, have some dinner(local restaurant), and say my farewells... I am guessing, that there will be a lot of us Ontario members who can only make it out for "a day"... I was not able to secure this week from my holiday picks back in March.. However I do plan on playing hookie/calling in sick just so I can attend at least one day...

The lighter side.......$70 dollars for a 2 night registration. Divide that by 2 to get the one day registration...$35 dollars now.. Then subtract $10 dollars for the two breakfasts that I won't be consuming... $25 dollars now.. I have a lot of T-shirts, so lets knock off another $12 dollars on passing on the shirt...$13 dollars now.. Then that last day "wrap-up supper ticket" which I am not able to attend, lets cut at least $25 dollars off for that one(Good meal I'm sure), so thats...Uuuuh, $13 dollars subtract the $25 dollars.....Hmmm well this means you guys owe me $12 bucks when I show up....Wuhoooo...!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING OF COURSE..!! Its all priced very reasonable..Obviously..

I hope there is some way a "day pass" member can show up, make a donation to the cause, and meet the people and get out there and ride one of the many great road trips that the planning committee and this area has to offer...

SOME FACTS ABOUT ONTARIO

-Anybody know that "Hamilton" (which is close to Kitchener) has more waterfalls than any other city in North America..? (get that camera)

-The "GREAT ONE" Wayne Gretsky's home town is Brantford, which is a stones throw away from Kitchener....(maybe he will attend..????)

-This is a great opportunity to see the great lakes before Canada and the U.S. start fighting over them..(fill your drinking water bottle there)

-Niagara Falls of course..there are taller water falls in the world, however Niagara's have the greatest quantity of water flowing over them, a must see if you haven't been...(free refreshing showers right there on the street)

-When you get a speeding ticket in Ontario, you do not have to pay it right then on the side of the road...(convenient)

I'm sure the turnout will be good, I'm sure the planning committee is doing a bang-up job, it will be a great success.., for those who have faith and attend....I maybe even allowed to come for a day...:cool10:

I have one question..? Why could this not have been planned to include a weekend within the dates of operation.? Then maybe a weekend pass could be sold...(I know probably the cost of renting the park..)

I may not have noticed, but has there been any publishing of dates/times and rides which are planned.?

well now i can not speak for all american's. i am just one tex-ass. since some cheese head wants to poke fun. we will be arriving some time on july 5th to set up the tent. looking forward to seeing everyone.

best reguards

don c.

:bighug::stirthepot:

Guest ReinyRooster

Dr. Nemo, there is no fee for anyone to join us for the day and ride. Everyone is on their own for dinner after the ride as well. Where we need people to step up is to buy order the T-shirt so we know how many we need and what size....we are not just ordering a pile of shirts and hoping they sell so you need to order that ahead.

The only dinner that we are charging for and need a head count is the Wednesday night wrap-up dinner since this is a buffet meal and we need to give them some idea of how many people we should expect. People can pay for that at the door when they arrive, we just need to know that they are coming.

We didn't think the weekend thing would work since we figured most people would be using the weekend as their travel days to get to the rally location.

Guest ReinyRooster

Don....too far down the road to get any real meaningfull forecast but I will say it has been hotter then .........well let's just say it's been real warm around here the last 4-5 days....I'm talking fry an egg in the hood of the car warm.

Guest Swifty
thanks reniy

didn't think it got that hot up there.

Don, over the last few days it was much hotter here than in Miami!! This is going to be a hot rally...in more ways than one...but there'll be lots of cool guys and gals to ride with.

hi swifty

thanks for the reply, i was hopeing for some cool weather past the border. i lived in cleveland,ohio for a few years. and i remember my fellow co-workes crying about how hot it was at night with the temps in the low 80's with no humity. i also remember the water coming out of the ground colder than a jug of water in the frig.

best reguards

don c.

hi reniy

what are the temps hi / lows going to be around there at the time of the rally. forgive me i might have already asked this.

thanks

don c.:confused24:

Reiny says too early to tell, maybe he should re read that question. :sign20: That is why you asked for average temps. :stirthepot:

Average for daytime temps now is 25 c (77 f). Nights will cool down to low 20 c (68 f).

However the last few days we are getting to the low 30c (86 f) but with a humidex of low 40c (105 f). It can also get cool.

Here is a link to our local weather

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAON0356 This one has a 14 day forecast.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-82_metric_e.html

Note. To convert to "f" from C - Divide by 5 multiply by 9 and then add 32.

PS do not ask Mr. Owl as he would never get it.

Brad

Dr. Nemo, there is no fee for anyone to join us for the day and ride. Everyone is on their own for dinner after the ride as well. Where we need people to step up is to buy order the T-shirt so we know how many we need and what size....we are not just ordering a pile of shirts and hoping they sell so you need to order that ahead.

The only dinner that we are charging for and need a head count is the Wednesday night wrap-up dinner since this is a buffet meal and we need to give them some idea of how many people we should expect. People can pay for that at the door when they arrive, we just need to know that they are coming.

We didn't think the weekend thing would work since we figured most people would be using the weekend as their travel days to get to the rally location.

Well thanks Reiny, I am glad to hear this, I am going to order my shirt now.. You are right too about the travel time on the weekends for those travelling from afar..

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAON0356 This one has a 14 day forecast.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-82_metric_e.html

Note. To convert to "f" from C - Divide by 5 multiply by 9 and then add 32.

PS do not ask Mr. Owl as he would never get it.

Brad

Brad,

Why would I need to convert it? As you are aware, I was born in Ontario. I know there are only two temperatures up there. Cold and Damn cold. :stirthepot: Why do you think I moved south? :duck:

Besides, if I really needed to know, I could always ask my "friends" in Alberta. (I think they are still tawking too me).

:15_8_211[1]:

Brad,

Why would I need to convert it? As you are aware, I was born in Ontario. I know there are only two temperatures up there. Cold and Damn cold. :stirthepot: Why do you think I moved south? :duck:

Besides, if I really needed to know, I could always ask my "friends" in Alberta. (I think they are still tawking too me).

Mr. Owl, go figure, you moved from Ontario to Winterpeg so that is why it is dam cold. Guess you can not remember what it was like in Ontario, as it was sooooooo many years ago.

Also not only do you have a problem counting you do not realize I am further South than you.

Brad

What's the status of radar detectors in Canada? I have a Cruisader "built in" and it's gonna be a bit of a pain to uninstall. Normally when I'm in a no-detector place I just turn it off so they can't detect the leakage. Is this an issue? Any chance pulling the fuse will be enough?

What's the status of radar detectors in Canada? I have a Cruisader "built in" and it's gonna be a bit of a pain to uninstall. Normally when I'm in a no-detector place I just turn it off so they can't detect the leakage. Is this an issue? Any chance pulling the fuse will be enough?

It depends where youre going in Canada. I know they are legal in Saskatchewan where I live and I think Alberta and B.C. are ok as well, but I know in Manitoba they are illegal to have in your vehicle (but for out of province people they will usually just make you disable it). I am sure someone else in here will have the info on Ontario and the rest of Canada.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

Hey Steve,

They're illegal here in Ontario. Don't think they would bother you if you turned it off. Since Reiny works in the business of prosecution he may know what the law says. Or is that the business of persecution???

Guest ReinyRooster

I've been accused of many things....when I got this job my father-in-law said that I got a job as a "Prostitutor"!! Had to correct him. Yes, they are illegal in Ontario. The offence is just to HAVE in in the vehicle ( on the bike) so even though it wasn't on, IF they found it they could take it.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. And Reiny, you capitalized if. Oh the temptation.

I over tightened the bolt putting the display unit on the handlebars and managed to gall the threads. Taking that part off will be a bit of a problem so it's going to stay until I can find a nice chrome gauge cup for it. I think I'll take the receiver portion off. That should do it since it's the actual detector. I need to move it to a better spot anyway. Maybe this time I'll remember to take pictures.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Popeye
Read my lips... You don't need a passport to get into Canada.... And you won't need one to get into the U.S. until June 2009.

Crossing the border in either direction is a minor inconvenience. Leave your guns at home and there shouldn't be a problem.

I have family in Ontario, but don't visit there. Being from Detroit, I've been through kitchner hundreds of times & prob 200k miles in Canada.

These days, I cannot go to Canada or even many states in the U.S. [known as Victim states].

Many, many members here remember the 2nd amendment topic & stated their preferences.....I don't wish to bring up a can of worms, but if HONESTY is wanted, many will NEVER leave their guns at home & put their personal well-being in the hands of ____?

I'd have to cross 'Victim States' to even get there...wife would say a big NO to those states.

In other regards, I love Canada...more than Illinois & less than Colorado.

Now, the $4/gal gas, & more in Ont, will take its toll as well, also, the late time of year is an issue

Yesterday, I returned from a 2150 mile, 5 day ride....who waits until late/hot Summer? [many of us have killed our riding budget by now or close to it].

Those are triple-digit days around here...not fun for riding, but would consider if other things were different.

Having met GREAT members here, I'd love to meet more....but, I won't relinquish any 'Constitutional Rights' to do so....or put loved ones at risk.

There is our honest reasoning & hope I haven't offended anyone.

Best wishes for a super-successful meet, since many think different than me & mine. :happy34:

I have family in Ontario, but don't visit there. Being from Detroit, I've been through kitchner hundreds of times & prob 200k miles in Canada.

These days, I cannot go to Canada or even many states in the U.S. [known as Victim states].

Many, many members here remember the 2nd amendment topic & stated their preferences.....I don't wish to bring up a can of worms, but if HONESTY is wanted, many will NEVER leave their guns at home & put their personal well-being in the hands of ____?

I'd have to cross 'Victim States' to even get there...wife would say a big NO to those states.

Now, the $4/gal gas, & more in Ont, will take its toll as well, also, the late time of year is an issue

Yesterday, I returned from a 2150 mile, 5 day ride....who waits until late/hot Summer? [many of us have killed our riding budget by now or close to it].

Those are triple-digit days around here...not fun for riding, but would consider if other things were different.

Having met GREAT members here, I'd love to meet more....but, I won't relinquish any 'Constitutional Rights' to do so....or put loved ones at risk.

Best wishes for a super-successful meet, since many think different than me & mine. :happy34:

I'm a little slow since I got hit in the head, I don't understand?? What's a victim State and how come you can't go there? How do you put 200K miles on in Canada if you don't, can't, or won't go there?

I think you're telling us you won't leave home without your gun because of some insecurity you feel and you don't ride your bike if the weather is too warm. Sorry to hear that.

Guest BluesLover

Each one to their own, but it must really limit the scope of what you are able to see and do.

My goal is - over the next 10 years - to travel every state in the United States and every province in Canada on the bike - I really couldn't care less about the local laws (guns, helmets, etc.) of any of those places. I'll conform and comply with them for the period of time that I there.

If that is putting me and my loved ones "at risk", so be it - it's a risk that I'll take in order to see the natural wonders of what this wonderful continent has to offer, and to meet people from all the various cultures and backgrounds along the way.

Cheers,