Ok...here goes....dumb new owner question.....do the turn signals on the RSTD turn off automatically? It seems to me that sometimes they do, and sometimes they do not.....I could not find anything in the manual about it....is this a feature I have, but did not know about?

Guest TFD69

They will after a leaning turn or distance / time while the bike is moving but will not shut off automatically if you are just sitting

Doesn't seem to auto off after lane change, only turns.

Unless there is something wrong with it, it will self canx after a lane change - you just have to ride far enough. In most cases, you probably are ready to cancel it way before the necessary distance. In other cases, if the traffic is heavy, it may shut off before you get a chance to change lanes! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

It got me to thinking, so I looked it up....This is directly from the manual:

"Since this model is equipped with a self-canceling system, the turn signals lights will self-cancel after the vehicle has traveled both about 150 m (490 ft) and for approximately 15 seconds....snip.....NOTE: The self-cancelling system only operates when the vehicle is moving, so that the turn signals will not self-cancel while you are stopped at an intersection."

/end manual quote.

I see nothing about a lean detector either, never heard of that on our bikes.

I'm not 100% sure. We were in Harrison, Arkansas a few years ago and my good friend Tom Anderson was having trouble with his new RSV. The engine would just die going around a corner. It turned out to be what they called a "Lean Sensor". The local dealer there had one shipped in and replaced it and the problem was solved.

Now I just looked at the wiring diagram and don't see anything actually called a Lean Sensor. What I do see is something called an "emergency stop switch". It appears to be somewhere under the right/front of the gas tank. According to the diagnostics section of the service manual, you test it by connecting an ohm meter and then rotating the switch 50 degrees. That indicates to me that it does work as a "lean" sensor. It is supposed to go from 0 ohms to infinity when you rotate it the 50 degrees.

Guest tx2sturgis

That would explain the shutoff that my bike did the one time I 'tipped' it.

On a Harley, its commonly called the 'tip over switch'...it shuts off the engine when you drop it, (or crash!) for safety reasons of course. I had been told that the Venture did not have this safety feature, but obviously it does.

That would explain the shutoff that my bike did the one time I 'tipped' it.

On a Harley, its commonly called the 'tip over switch'...it shuts off the engine when you drop it, (or crash!) for safety reasons of course. I had been told that the Venture did not have this safety feature, but obviously it does.

you are correct , Brian. my 86, (and i think ALL ventures), come with a tip over switch.

don't ask me how many times i've put mine to the test!

lol

just jt

I am so glad I have generated some discussion in this forum! Thanks to all of you for the input and for educating the NEWBIE on the features I had, but did not read about in the manual. If it wasn't a picture in the book....I probably did not read it! :)

Does the RSTD have the tip over shutoff?