IGNORED

84 VR Carb Parts Needed

Zzyzx

I am in need of 2 diaphragm slides for my 84 VR. (part #20 in picture)

If anyone has a couple they are willing to part with or know where I can get a complete set please let me know.

Just don't feel like having to pay $150 each for the dealer part.

Thanks!!!

03-04 Carbs 1.PNG

Do you actually need the slider, or are you just dealing with torn diaphragms? If so, there are aftermarket diaphragms available or in a pinch, you can repair the old ones with some goop. See Cowpuc for info on that...

I am in need of the actual phenolic/plastic slides. My needles are good but two of my slides were cracked. They have been stuck in the carburetor for years and after a week and a half of soaking wit Barrymans B12 and PB they came out in two pieces

I am in need of the actual phenolic/plastic slides. My needles are good but two of my slides were cracked. They have been stuck in the carburetor for years and after a week and a half of soaking wit Barrymans B12 and PB they came out in two pieces

They are not perfect but should get cha by.. I know I would find a way to use em longggg before I would pay more for parts than I usually spend on my actual bike purchase :big-grin-emoticon::missingtooth:

Anyway,, the pics are what I have and the vid is what I was gonna use em for (the one I have in the vid is in the Maintenance Dept. on Tweeks side and still has not been tested in fuel) = good ol fashioned science experiment as it were = strip em down,, seal em up, put the best needles in em from what you have and what is hanging from these slides (you will want to check em closely for sure) and hopefully run em out another 300k!! Send me an addy Zzz and I will send em to ya to see if you can use em... :thumbsup:

DSCN6112.JPG

DSCN6113.JPG

That’s some great shade tree mechanic repairing Puc!!!

A great simple fix for very little cost, lass than $4.50.

I did some looking to find me some E6000 and found it on ebay, Amazon, Michael’s, and other places.

Comes in black, white, and clear.

0353681B-F748-4FE3-9AFB-07535C0C5A09.jpg

WooHoo. 👍👍👍

That’s some great shade tree mechanic repairing Puc!!!

A great simple fix for very little cost, lass than $4.50.

I did some looking to find me some E6000 and found it on ebay, Amazon, Michael’s, and other places.

Comes in black, white, and clear.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111458

WooHoo. ������

Just read your P.M. in my email a moment ago Zzz and gonna answer it here in case others are following along = dont wanna confuse anyone (I am the sort that has no problem doing that).. After trying many different products to repair those diaphrams, thru trial and error I found YamaBond#5 to be the most useful and have ran many thousands of miles now on repaired with YamaBond diaphrams.. The Yamabond is not perfect though..

A number of years ago we were out playing in the mountains of Utah and one of my 1st Gens ended up on its side and we ended up having to roll it all the way over to get it upright (these things are way to heavy to lift uphill with).. As a result,, among other things, I crushed my right saddle bag and ended up binder twineing it back together and coating it with RV silicon sealant.. Last year on the way home from Americade the three of us ran into some of the heaviest rains we have ever ridden in out in N.Y... I am one of those who speed up in the rain to stay dry and in so doing we hit flood water so hard out near Speculator NY that the impact of the water actually nocked Tip's feet off Tweeks pegs.. The next day we were getting gas and I noticed a steady stream of fluid leaking from Tweeks Maintenance Dept. (right bag - the patched one).. After tasting the water to make sure someone hadnt remounted Tweeks radiator inside that bag and it had sprung a leak, I told Tip that I thought my old roll over patch had finally let go and that Tweeks Maintenance Dept. was flooded out from the previous nights excursion.. I open it up and sure enough,, there was a wide open 2x3 inch hole making me thankful that I keep most of Tweeks tools safely lodged inside of a tote bag in there (ironically, even that weather proof bag was leaking water)..

Being not impressed with what I found with the RV silly cone patch and a sort of an adventuresome sole,, I set forth to locate a better roll over repair product.. Gonna sound nuts here but I actually found the E6000 at our local Meijers grocery store!!! I was impressed with what I read on the tube so I decided to give it a shot.. WOW was I impressed (as shown in the vid).. It was after the patch on the bag that it dawned on me that the stuff may very well be the next step in quality Diaphram repair - possibly even to the point of actually molding a whole new diaphram around an existing old one (I am one cheap varmint). As shown in the vid, I LIKED what I saw in the one little repair I did BUT = I still have NOT tested the final product in the gas soaked area where the diaphram resides..

Zzz,, your slide assemblies are on their way and should be there by Monday.. Dont worry about $$'s,, glad I could help and hopefully the parts somehow do just that.. I would ask though that if you do follow-up on the E6000 experiment that you report back here with how it all works out and how the product holds up.. I, for one, would be VERY INTERESTED in knowing what you find out!!

By the way,, if memory serves me correctly,,, videoarizona commented about that E6000 back when I posted that video for Bongo and mentioned something about using a LOT of that product years ago (I think it was in road construction or something) and supported the thought that the stuff was really amazing!!

Hope it all works out and all us of gain yet another little more insite into ways to keep these amazing machines out CTFW if you decide to attempt an E6000 diaphram rebuild!!

Puc

Hey cowpuc.... I'm looking at that pic of the slides and it appears that you might have eaten the rest of the carburetor for dinner. Maybe with a little BBQ sauce?

:stickinouttounge:,, what da heck brother,, your either Phycic or your hooked into our EchoDot machine and friends with Alexa or something?? As crazy as this may sound,,, Tip is a endlessly marvelous Menards rebate couponder and Menards had some AWESOME precision screw driver kits for $5 after rebate (AMAZING little set!! you should check it out if you have time Stang!!) that was hanging not to far from a freezer full of precooked, BBQed pork ribs... WOWZY were those ribs calling my name... Of course,, a package of those ribs followed us home and of course,, they ended up resmothered in some sweet n tangy Hawian BBQ and getting the quick over under the broiler by Tip (she spoils me something rottin)... Now get this,, just this morning with my breakfast eggs that Tippy pulled one of those little bags of Baby Back Ribs double SOAKED in BBQ sauce out of the freezer and they ended up on my plate!!! :fatsmiley:

Little by little,, getting the weight back on!!!!!! DEFINITELY headed in the right direction :missingtooth:!!!!!!!!!!

extra_large

Edited by cowpuc

I was thinking the same thing when I seen the plate and fork he licked that plate clean.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

If you would jump on Tinker this summer and scoot up here to Michigan for one of our VR Hot Dog extravaganzas where Ventures roam freely and Hot Dogs are an endangered species,, I would GLADLY demonstrate how true that statement right there is Snype!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Berrymans has Acetone as one of its ingredients and Acetone is known as the universal solvent. If I used it, it would only be for a very short time frame. :2cents:

I’ve used it for years for carbs and for cleaning valve bodies. Used to use it to clean the carbs while

the car was running at high idle.

About the best thing I’ve found to get an old clunker started.

The reason Poc made that video was in his original thread he was talking about the E6000 and I made a comment about wondering just how flexible the product was, and that was his answer to the query...

Yeppers,, that Bongo brother of ours is always :witch_brew: in just the right way to keep us all on our toes in a grand effort to keep these amazing scoots doin their thing!!

:sign Rock On::sign Rock On: Bongo!!!!

I’ve used it for years for carbs and for cleaning valve bodies. Used to use it to clean the carbs while

the car was running at high idle.

About the best thing I’ve found to get an old clunker started.

I'm handicapped by watching acetone dissolve all kinds of stuff in organic chemistry lab when in college.

Thanks Puc for the great 84 carb parts rescue!!! Received the diaphragms yesterday and will be working on the carbs next week.

Here are a few pictures of what I got out of the fuel tank and the result of 2 weeks of trying to get the slides out of one of the carbs.

Amazing what sitting for nearly 20 years can do to gas, and yes, that would be rust from the tank.

Guess ill have to do a bit of tank cleaning and sealing or add a new tank to the tour pack, lol.emoji-eyes-fire-Favim.com-4652571.jpeg

Thanks again for all your help and I hope you get to feeling better real soon brother!!!

IMG_1142.JPGIMG_1148.JPGIMG_1150.JPGIMG_1231.JPG

You are very very welcome Zzz,,, I always enjoy helping so the pleasure was/is mine my friend and, as a matter of fact, letting ya in on a little secret here, knowing that some of Tweeks +300k miles parts are still out there CTFW really does my heart good = a win/win if there ever was one!!

Little by little I am feeling better (THANK YOU for the health well wish = always appreciated!!) but if I were back to my abnormal normal self I would push Tweeks remains into the basement and pull the fuel tank out and send it to you... I do think you are on the right track with pulling it and sealing it Zzz - you definitely got the right idea there!! Fact is, same as you I am sure, I have :stickpoke:with rusty tanks many times and have found that trying to filter out those tiny rust fragments NEVER works.. That said,, I have also done many forms or rust removal and sealing thru the years including some pretty crazy stuff like making my own sealant out of "Seal All" (worked pretty good). In the end I found this stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Kote-Quart-Coat-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Liner-Gas-Oil-Diesel-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING/263165371552?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20150817211623%26meid%3D7e6d366e40394c8db68b6b9e2f290d7a%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D263165371552&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

to be the absolute BEST of the BEST!! It even works extremely well by coating directly over rust - no joke - it's like it forms a brand new tank inside of a bad tank.. I did an old Honda tank once with the stuff that had 1/2 the bottom of the tank rusted right out and there wasnt enough of the tank left to weld to.. For kicks I took some tin foil and duct taped the foil in place and then coated the tank internally with Red Kote right over rust and all (I LOVE a good "science experiment).. That stuff sealed open pin holes, formed a new tank to the tin foil and I actually used the tank for 4 years before I sold the beat up old bike it was on.. I showed the hack job repair I did to the new owner and he was very impressed..

Anyway,,,, always something = continued best wishes in your ongoing repair brother!!

Keep the faith!!

Puc

Cowpuc, didn't you swap Tweeks carbs to Tweeksis? I remember you did but you may have swapped them back later. So, did you send Tweeksis diaphragms or Tweeks? :stirthepot::think:

Spot on Sky :thumbsup:

I couldnt get Tweeksis's carb to tune out right and suspected some jet/circuit blockages from sitting while Carbon_One was storing it for me after he got her from DenDen.. The day that I picked up Tweeksis at Larry n Joyce's house, ragtop69gs was there and I heard thru the grapevine that Raggy asked Larry how long he figured I would leave Tweeksis alone before I dolled her all up with all my memories plastic.. She was GORGEOUS so I figured Raggy probably thought Larry would say something like a year or so but I heard Larry said something like "knowing Puc,, probably as soon as he gets home" :big-grin-emoticon:.. Those two are really funny :big-grin-emoticon:..

When I got home I started the project :missingtooth: and,, while I was in the process of swapping out plastic stuff,, I also went ahead and pulled Tweeks carb bank figuring that would be wayyy easier on my Dupuytren infected hands (at that time my right hand was fully closed) and when I did I found out that my diagnoses was spot on.. That was also the key to Tweeksis being named Tweeksis cause she now had Tweeks heart so she became Tweeks sister..

Time went on and it became apparent that Tweeksis wasnt running as strong as she should have been. I pulled the diaphrams and found they were wearing pretty thin again.. To the point that I could see thru the fabric that the rubber is vulcanized to.. I pulled the diaphrams that were still in Tweeksis's original carbs before repatching Tweeks diaphram and WOWZY = nice stuff!! DenDeb did a TON of work on Tweeksis long before Larry or I ever got her = that guy was/is AMAZING (never met him like I am sure some of the folks on here have BUT I do have the "book" he kept on all the stuff he did and it is an absolute JOY to read!!) and among lots of other stuff like a Marks collector, all stainless hoses, repaired 2nd gear, full Barnett clutch and on and on,, she also had newer diaphram/slides...

I know it probably sounds kind of cheezy for me to have sent my brother Zzz those old slides cause they do have a lot of miles on em and they did show some wear BUT I figured better than nothing and certainly better than what he had by the sound of things.. I was actually amazed at how good of shape the slides themselves were in.. All sounds CRAZY don't it:240:??

Edited by cowpuc

• 1 month later...

:scared:,,, AWE,,,,,,, you didn't have to do that @Zzyzx but a huge THANK YOU for the thoughtfulness brother (my :fatsmiley: thanks you too!!)!!!:thumbsup:

Hoping that all worked out well and you are out CTFW down there.. We are still working thru those extra 6 weeks of winter up here (snowing like CRAZY right now) that Fool and the Groundhog agreed on but soon, very very soon we hope to get some ride time in too!!!!

Your partner in grime!:smash2:

Puc