IGNORED

Clutch Ugrade

Just want to relate a few things about the clutch upgrade I just did on my 01 RSV.

Instead of replacing the fiber disc's as I have in the past on several bikes I opted to add the extra (it's not really an extra one just a full size disc) remove a couple of washers at the rear of the clutch as well as the wire retainer and install a new and stronger spring.

All the information is in the Tech section of this forum.

The tension on the clutch lever is a bit more but manageable. Now when the clutch bites it bites a little more than I would like, I don't drag race. The thing that is bothering me the most right now is the engagement point has changed quite a bit, it use to start grabbing about 1/3 of the way out. Not it starts to engage at about the same spot but then releases and doesn't engage until the lever is out to about 2/3's of the travel.

Maybe this is something I need to get use to?

I'm really thinking about putting the 1/2 disc back in along with the washers and wire retainer but leave the heavy spring in there.

I have bleed the brakes just to change the fluid, there was never any air in the system.

So for the guys that are running this system, does this sound like the way yours is acting?

Jerry

Did you go with the Barnett or PCW?

The feel of the clutch you describe is the same as mine after putting in the PCW Kit.

I don't even notice it now, I am used to it.

If and when my clutch starts slipping again, I would not replace the fiber discs.

After putting a micrometer on them, they were not worn at all.

I think most of us could get by, just changing the spring.

Did you go with the Barnett or PCW?

The feel of the clutch you describe is the same as mine after putting in the PCW Kit.

I don't even notice it now, I am used to it.

If and when my clutch starts slipping again, I would not replace the fiber discs.

After putting a micrometer on them, they were not worn at all.

I think most of us could get by, just changing the spring.

Yeah it's the PCW kit. I'm not bad mouthing the kit but I have never really liked the type spring that is in the RSV clutch.

I'm not real concerned about the strength of the pull but I have another little spot in there that gives the bike a little pull before the clutch actually engages.

I agree the discs are within specs so I'm presuming the clutch actually got weaker.

Jerry

Boo,

Food for thought to digest...

After my clutch change out, my clutch now grabs around the 2/3rds area also...

I am so used to it now I dont even notice or think about it.

Mine doesnt slip at all and works just fine.

I f I remember, I had the Barnett clutch installed.

Curt99 installed it for me at his place on tech day while I played around installing his hidden garage door opener on his handle bar grip.

Jerry,

There is a definitely a different feel when you swap the PCW kit in. I too noticed it when I did mine, but like mentioned you get used to it very quickly. Give it a few rides and I believe you'll forget about, it's not going to hurt anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update my update.

Just want to relate a few things about the clutch upgrade I just did on my 01 RSV.

Instead of replacing the fiber disc's as I have in the past on several bikes I opted to add the extra (it's not really an extra one just a full size disc) remove a couple of washers at the rear of the clutch as well as the wire retainer and install a new and stronger spring.

All the information is in the Tech section of this forum.

The tension on the clutch lever is a bit more but manageable. Now when the clutch bites it bites a little more than I would like, I don't drag race. The thing that is bothering me the most right now is the engagement point has changed quite a bit, it use to start grabbing about 1/3 of the way out. Not it starts to engage at about the same spot but then releases and doesn't engage until the lever is out to about 2/3's of the travel.

Maybe this is something I need to get use to?

I decided this was not something I wanted to put up with. Read on.

I'm really thinking about putting the 1/2 disc back in along with the washers and wire retainer but leave the heavy spring in there.

This is what I did, I put everything back like it was except for the new heavier spring. Now I have a good strong clutch but without the severe clutch that a drag racer would have. I found if I road the bike hard it wasn't to bad but that's not how I usually ride.

The bike now has a kind of soft clutch on take off but a nice firm clutch while riding. I am now very happy with the set up.

I have bleed the brakes just to change the fluid, there was never any air in the system.

So for the guys that are running this system, does this sound like the way yours is acting?

I think all in all I might have bought the Barnett set up mainly because I like that type of spring set up but the new spring I bought works just fine.

Jerry

I did notice a difference in in the point where it starts to catch and it was a little stiffer. Like the others I got use to the difference very quickly cause ot did not seem that much to me. I only used what came in the pcw kit and followed his instructions all the way. I don't remember how I did it but did you do the same thing or change the disc around some.

I just ordered the PCW kit and the new fiber discs. I also ordered all new stuff to rebuild the clutch master and slave cylinders. So, I will do the picture routine and report my findings on a first generation. I thought hard about Barnett vs. PCW and talked to John at PCW about the design. If I don't like it, I wil yank it out and get a Barnett. Buckeye Powersports recommends the Barnett. Without going into it in a post, there are 2 different thought processes here.

JB

I did notice a difference in in the point where it starts to catch and it was a little stiffer. Like the others I got use to the difference very quickly cause ot did not seem that much to me. I only used what came in the pcw kit and followed his instructions all the way. I don't remember how I did it but did you do the same thing or change the disc around some.

I talked to the guys over there at PCW racing and did it exactly the way they said to do it in the instructions.

One thing I want to clear up here is I had no problem with where the clutch engaged but I had 2 points that it did that. When I would let the clutch out a little the bike would start to move so you kind of hold that point until you are ready to go and then let the clutch out and twist the throttle and go, ONLY it wouldn't move at that point, just the engine revved and you had to let the clutch out about another 3/4 inch before it would take off and go. Felt like a newbie revving up the engine and not going anywhere.

What I now think might have been the problem, I should have put in new master and slave cylinder kits. There might be a spot that the lever is hanging up a little. To lazy to do that though.

I'm happy with it now so I am going to ride it until it gives me more grief. I don't know if I mentioned this before but the fiber disc's are within tolerance and the steel ones look fine so I didn't change those.

Jerry