IGNORED

Additives or synthetic oils

broodtunaz

Good 3/4 Helmet with installed Headset and some tunes will cure whine, Syntetic oil will make bike run quieter and smoother, but whine will not go away. My Bike was chrippie, but after 30000 Mil's is complete gone, after 16000 miles went to dealer to replace clutch basket with model I. Now bike Purrr like kiten.:080402gudl_prv:

I have a 85 1st gen that Ive owned for a couple of months now and I noticewd the clutch would slip in under full throttle in 2nd and occasionally 3rd gear. I happened to run into the prev. owner and he mentioned that he changed the oil and used synthetic in it. I remembered reading in here that some guys thought that the synth made their clutch slip so I thought what the heck give it an oil change ahead of schedule.

Well, almost immediately after changing the oil to a good quality regular oil my clutch issues went away, now it will take the occasional full throttle burst with no slippage at all in any gear.

Synthetic isn't a problem as long as it is formulated for motorcycles. I put Amsoil synthetic in my '86 VR and have had zero problems. There is no reason not to use it. Maybe the previous owner just used car synthetic and that doesn't have the friction modifiers that are needed.

Don't use other additives in oil. Generally if an oil is designed correctly, it won't need additives, they are already in it. More or the wrong kind will just muck things up. Same thing goes for your cars. Use an oil designed for what you want and don't mess with it!

The chirp might be affected by a new clutch basket I think someone said? When I had a leak at my driveshaft output shaft, just taking that apart and putting it back together got rid of almost all my "whine" and most of the chirp. Don't know exactly why, but disturbing things there helped.

I have been using syn for awhile, I still have the clutch whine. I'm so used to the sound I don't notice it unless i think about it. Have heard about clutch slipping, but it never happened to me. The big difference is it runs cooler with syn oil.