IGNORED

How many Active/Retired LEO's in the group>

Switch

Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::crackup: Seriously though thanks for all you guys do. But, I hate tickets that are nothing more than another way to make revenue. Sometimes tickets are just another way to tax.:mo money:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. But, I hate tickets that are nothing more than another way to make revenue. Sometimes tickets are just another way to tax.:mo money:

I'm sorry you feel that way. For my twenty-two years of service I like to think that I was benefitting the public that I served. Writing tickets is just one of the ways. Tickets are usually for helping errant drivers remember the rules of the road and the safety of others that they disregarded. Usually an officer in the cases of lesser infractions (non moving violations or moving violation of lesser consequence) can use his own discretion and a lot of it depends on the attitude of the driver as to whether or not the officer feels he can get the message across. With some drivers, personally speaking, I felt that due to their lousy attitude, the only way to get their driving habits to change was by hitting their pocketbook as a verbal warning would have just been laughed at after the contact was finished.

BTW, revenue was the last thing on my mind while working traffic.

Just finished my 22nd year of around the clock patrol. As of 1/1/08, I chose to go to a new squad that only works days and 4-12s, no more midnights!! It's a whole new job.

Might just stick around for another 10 since I still love this stupid job.

Also a member of BK NY 15

Okay. This will test you. Let's see how old we all are and who remembers good ol' rock.

I need to know the name of the song (hint - look for blue), the name of the band that sung it - and the name of the album it comes off. - AND NO GOOGLING!!!:no-no-no::no-no-no:

Peeping round the door I got a big surprise

Couldn't see a thing but open skies

They've taken her away where is she now

Wish that she was here wish she'd hold my hand

Maybe she could laugh maybe understand

Why was I so cruel where is she now

Acting like a fool I had to make her cry

Maybe I'm a Leo but I ain't a lion

I'm hurting oh so bad, I want her now.

I retired last May with 37 years in law enforcement. 20 years as a K-9 officer. My mind still thinks I'm a 25 year old deputy, but my body tells me something different. For all you that are still active I wish you a healthy and safe career and that it's over before you know it. I enjoyed my 37 years, the money wasn't good, but the rewards were.

Ken

Guest kozman01

Man, I had no idea there were so many LEO's here. I think we have more than enough to start some form of nationwide "Blue Knights" type organization!

Guest Dareman
I retired last May with 37 years in law enforcement. 20 years as a K-9 officer. My mind still thinks I'm a 25 year old deputy, but my body tells me something different. For all you that are still active I wish you a healthy and safe career and that it's over before you know it. I enjoyed my 37 years, the money wasn't good, but the rewards were.

Ken

I feel the same way as you do. (I did 30 years)

Everytime I hear a siren, I wish I was still out there, but age and on the job injuries fighting with Meth heads, drug addicts and other folks that just did not want to comply with the rule of law took its toll over the years.

I am unfortunately addicted to adrenalin and working the street was indeed a rush sometimes.

I now ride my Venture for my fix.

That is my new Adrenline Rush.

Al Tomlinson

Retired Lt.

Cochise County AZ Sheriff's Office

I love the pic of rappelling with the dog. I was K-9 in the USAF Grand Forks ND. My dog Pete was a tracker and we got called to look for lost kids,escapees and what not. Pete did not like helicopters and we had to rappel out a few times; it was the only time I had to muzzle him. Perfect dog other than his hatred of choppers. He was 85-90 lbs I was 145-150lbs. The best day of my life was finding a 3 yr old lost girl after she was missing 48 hrs. She would not let go of Pete and it was a hassle getting Pete to let the parents have their daughter back, he loved his job. No one wanted to "catch" Pete...he left bruises no matter how much padding you used. I still miss that dog 30 yrs later. He was one of a kind. Sniff Rod

Started in 1974...2 years as local PD officer...switched to local FD in 1976 and been doing firefighting & fire marshaling (arson investigation) ever since. 34 down and not sure how many more to go! Can't afford to retire yet.

Smokee

Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::crackup: Seriously though thanks for all you guys do. But, I hate tickets that are nothing more than another way to make revenue. Sometimes tickets are just another way to tax.:mo money:

Was this post necessary in this topic?

Necessary? No.

But it does serve to show how some folks see law enforcment officers.

In my humble opinion it should be another topic. We were answering the question and showing how many of us are LE. That post was not needed. Just my .02

38 years on the job.....all kinds of assignments from traffic to undercover narcotics. Currently a Lieutenant with DFW Airport Police. Never a dull moments and so many rewards for helping those in need. The only regret I have ever had was the time I had to spend away from my family. I am so lucky to have a wonderful wife who picked up the slack when Dad was working so I ended up with two great kids. Daughter is a Juvenile Probation Supervisor.

Texas BK XXI

:cop:

You K-9 guys out there might appreciate a few more pics I can share with you.

1. The pic with the shepherd in the snow (posing so noble-like), is my current dog (Nitro). He has a very impressive German pedigree and far more potential for being a great working dog than I will ever take advantage of. Since I'm no longer in law enforcement or working dogs, I just don't have the time or the motivation to invest in training my current dog the same way I did my previous dogs. So, I settle for Nitro just having basic obedience skills, although I sure do miss the skill level at which my old dog Zeus was trained. Like a finely-tuned instrument - Sort of like a Venture.

2. The pic. of the Rottweiler, was Sampson. He was my second dog. I can't explain why in the world I ever thought that it was a good idea to get a second large dog (and a Rottweiler at that), except that he was just about the world's cutest puppy. He wasn't a trained working dog (just a pet). But he was as gentle a nice as he was opposing-looking. Zeus and Sampson were room mates for about ten years. Both are gone now, but that's okay. Zeus lived a long twelve years and Sampson ten. Pretty good for big dogs!

3. The third pic. I included because it's cool and there's an interesting story behind it. The K-9 is Iche (Ike?). His handler was Mike from the Las Vegas, NV Metro P.D. Mike and Iche were featured on COPS a number of times back in the mid eighties. They were a sharp team together. Anyway, this picture was set-up and posed to demonstrate how they could conduct street stops and pat-downs. Once a suspect was stopped, Mike would get out of his Bronco and he would leave his driver's side window down as he approached the suspect. His dog would then stand on the bottom of the door's window frame with his two front legs and growl and bark at the person spread-out on the hood of the Bronco. Iche would then walk completely out of window (around the door frame), and out on to the hood of the Bronco where he would eyeball the suspect being searched. Talk about intimidating! I don't know if the LVMPD still does this, but I assume that it was a pretty effective technique. I have also ridden with those guys a few times a number of years ago, and I was thoroughly impressed with everything about them. They are definitely a top-notch operation.:thumbsup2:

Be Safe! Pete.