IGNORED

Backfired and now won't start , nothing lights up

Hi. My motorcycle backfired in the highway and now won't start. Dash won't light up. Im stuck on I-89 in NH. Any help would be appreciated. My exhaust tip went flying. I noticed after putting gas that engine would cut and rom go down to zero then pick up once again. I toooed it off at rest area, just put 1 gallon of fuel. Help would be appreciated

I have had situations similar to what I think I am reading here with Stator failure, once the stator (or Voltage regulator) drops off the bike is running on battery power only for its electrical needs, as the battery goes dead - strange things start to happen.. Of course, a bad fuse or wire breakage or "open" in the electrical system can cause strange things too.. With the little info I am reading, I think the first thing I would do is:

1. If the bike will now not roll over when you hit the start button and reading what I am reading, I would see if I could get someone to give me a jump start from their car.. Turn the car off, hook up the cables (negative post last) and WITHOUT starting the car - see if the bike will start.. If it does, disconnect the negative cable at the bike battery and glance at the Volt Meter on your bike.. Is it acting normal = 12 vlts + at idle, come up to 14 volts when revved??

His profile says he has an 07.

since nothing lights up at all it sounds like maybe the ignition switch failed.

if the ignition was switching on and of that could have caused your backfire.

If you have enough tools to get the ignition switch out you can jumper it to get you back going.

Do you have a volt meter or test light with you?

You can go thru and check all the fuses visually to see if one of them blew. especially the main fuse and the ignition fuses.

His profile says he has an 07.

since nothing lights up at all it sounds like maybe the ignition switch failed.

if the ignition was switching on and of that could have caused your backfire.

If you have enough tools to get the ignition switch out you can jumper it to get you back going.

Do you have a volt meter or test light with you?

You can go thru and check all the fuses visually to see if one of them blew. especially the main fuse and the ignition fuses.

Oppssss,, my bad,, going with Fool on this one!! That switch failure on the 2nd Gens could/would probably act just like tossing the kill switch on/off going down the road = KAABOOOOOM as the muffs fill with unburned fuel and then relight when switch makes intermittent contact... Known issue with the 2nd Gens.. I would head there!!:thumbsup:

No power could be a couple things. Both have been mentioned. If main fuse has lost continuity no power can make it to the switch. But what caused the fuse to blow? I can also go with Pucs theory. Usually when the charging system goes out to lunch you can notice erratic lights goes dim then brite, or engine will begin to miss and lack of power then DOA.

If the switch in fact the culprit, you cant simply jumper those wires (the 2 main ones). AS the ECM is feed thru the switch also. If you don't get continuity thru the switch, I would open it up and see if it can be cleaned up. If not I can make a by-pass relay kit with a option to use a generic auto switch that is about $20 from a parts store. It can be made to fit the OEM surround with a couple big fender washers. Usually the switch can be cleaned up and then install one of my standard by-pass relays and change the load path and they survive decently after that.