IGNORED

Speedohealer vs. SpeedoDRD

As promised, here are some pictures that show you where the SpeedoDRD installs. I had the SpeedoHealer on the '99 and it installed the same way. I'm not going into detail regarding the actual programming because I can't show you any better than what SpeedoDRD does on their website. I'll provide links to their instructions at the end of this though.

First of all, simple remove the left side cover. You only need to remove the one screw where you see my allen wrench. The front one is a dummy. Remember that because that front one is what you need if you don't know to put blue locktite on your shifter. When you lose that screw on the highway, This front "dummy" screw will replace it. :) Anyway, remove the screw and then just pull straight out on the cover to pop it out of the rubber grommets on the front.

IMG_0894.JPG

Once you have removed the cover. This is what you will see. The white triangular connector is what you want. Simply depress the little tab and unplug the two halves.

IMG_0895.JPG

This is what you should see now.

IMG_0896.JPG

Now just plug the two connectors from the SpeedoDRD or your Speedohealer into those separated connectors. In this picture, you can see the small white button just above the white tag with the model number on it. That is the button that you will press to do the programming.

IMG_0899.JPG

That's all there is to it. Follow the instructions at these two links to learn how to find your speedometer error and then how to program the device. This is a job that literally ANYBODY can do. Don't worry about it. Just do it if you want to correct your speedometer.

I used the GPS method to determine my error. You could also use mile markers and a stop watch if you wanted to. If you don't have a GPS, you can download an app for most any smartphone that will give you a pretty accurate speed reading. Here is what the SpeedoDRD says about it.

"A GPS device is usually the best method, make sure the device has good signal strength, and you are traveling at least 55mph or 60mph (or 100kph) as displayed on your GPS, you'll want to hold the speed completely steady at least 5 to 10 seconds, so that both the vehicle speedometer and GPS is at a steady reading, then use those readings for your calculations. Also, another thing to remember is that most vehicle speedometers usually only give whole number readouts, as well as most GPS devices, thus when your GPS or vehicle speedometer reads 55mph, you could be traveling 55.0mph or 55.9mph, when calculating your error percentage at multiple speeds remember to take this into consideration, this situation as well as possible GPS accuracies, may very well account for any suspected speedometer dis-linearity."

Once you have determined your indicated speed and the GPS speed, you can use this link to their online error calculator. When you do this, it will give instructions at the bottom for exactly how to program the unit. It literally takes about 5 minutes to install this thing. It takes longer to go for the ride and determine your error.

http://www.12oclocklabs.com/sdrd_calc.htm

Edited by Freebird

Freebird, I tucked mine up under the seat, under the rubber battery tie-down. (I pulled it out to show). The cable run also has plastic ties along frame. They gave me enough cable to do so. That way it is out of the weather. They still come with enough cable to do this?

Plus note where my fuel filter is. Previous owner did that, and boy am I thankful for his forward thinking!

20170904_111913.jpg

Well, that tells us that the error is not consistent between bikes. I haven't installed mine yet but did check the error yesterday on our ride. I checked it multiple times and made sure that my speed was stabilized each time. I set the bike's speed at 60 MPH and my Garmin GPS showed that I was actually running 56 MPH. That means that my error is -6.7%.

This is on my 2005 RSV. I don't remember exactly but I know that my '99 was somewhere around 8%.

This means that each person is going to have to figure the error on their particular bike.

Something else that could affect this to a small extent is different tires. Not all tires are the same OD. I'm running Dunlop E3's right now.

Mine is also a 2005, but an RSTD (not that that should make any difference). I'm also running Dunlop E3's, but mine are pretty much on their way out (well over 10k mi on them).

My rear has almost 10K on it and is about dead. Took the 05 RSV out this morning with gps...and the SpeedoDrd was dead on accurate from 30mph to 80mph. I wish I could remember my correction,. but think it was like a -7.3%. So that might fit in with the others coming in at -6.7%. I bet with new tires my speedo will be off a tiny bit. More rubber, larger diameter tire.

I'll do the test again after I put on the Shinko 777HD's this Fall.

When I installed mine several years ago it was off by 7.8%. I'm running an Avon Cobra AV72 on mine. When I ran the BF Goodrich car tire I had to recalculate. I don 't remember what it was. I still have it program into the 2nd spot on my Speedohealer in case I ever switch back.

I installed my SpeedoDRD model Y1-M this afternoon. It was very easy to install. I corrected for a 9.1% error. Since I was only able to take a short trip around the block where it seems fine I will post back after an extended ride. Access to my bike's connector was easy under the left side cover.

Mike

I got to take a little longer test ride today. My speedo now agrees with my speedometer almost exactly. Tested at 25mph 30mph and 60mph. My speedometer and TomTom GPS now seem to agree almost exactly. As minor as it may seem it is a relief having an accurate speedometer.

Mike

PS The SpeedoDRD is coated with a rubber/plastic coating that should protect it from the elements.

• 1 month later...

OK I have run into a problem with my SpeedoDRD. When it is installed my speedometer is exactly accurate with the GPS. BUT my cruise control does not work.

If I set the percentage of error way down I can make it work in fifth gear but not fourth. I have been on the phone with Brooks at 12oclock Labs and we are working on a solution. But so far it is still bad.

Mike

To end the suspense. Due to the issue of the cruise not working in fourth gear. I became curious as to how the cruise control knew when the bike is in fourth gear or fifth gear for that matter. I finally deduced the computer must compare vehicle speed to engine speed even though there is no RPM meter on these bikes. So RPM pulses to speedo pulses. The normal error created by the inaccurate speedo falls within the tolerance of the computer programing. In my case I did the V-Max rear end swap some time ago. That causes higher than normal engine RPM. Correcting my speedo also causes higher engine RPM. Either of these by itself is still within the allowable tolerance of the on board control unit. But both together are outside the controller's range and the cruise will not engage.

That is my guess until I hear different. Now I have to call Brooks at 12oclock Labs and let him off the hook.

Mike

Interesting. You solved a mystery that I had actually forgotten about. My previous '99 model had the VMax rear also. On it I had the Speedohealer, not the SpeedoDRD. I remember though that the cruise wouldn't work in 4th gear. I had chalked it up to something in the Dyna2000 ignition module but now it all makes sense. It WOULD work in 5th but not 4th. Maybe the error was a bit different or something different between the Speedohealer and the SpeedoDRD.

Edited by Freebird

Well I got the part from Brooks at 12oclock Labs and installed it. It did not help. Brooks thought the issue might be caused by electrical noise. So he wired up and sent me a shunt capacitor. But it did not help. So I will stick with my previous theory. The problem is a combination of the V-Max gear and the speedo correction throwing the computer off it's gear calculation. Since my cruise works in fifth I can live with that. As I prefer an accurate speedometer.

Also for those of you installing a SpeedoDRD go to 12oclock labs web page and enter your speedo and gps readings. Then print the install instructions. They will be customized to correct for your error. Way cool.

Mike

• 2 months later...