IGNORED

battery not a venture

rbig1

Well I took the battery out of a 750 virago. It was new last summer. On the positive side of battery first cell. It was 3/4 empty of electrolyte. This bike never got rode but maybe two tanks of fuel. I thought froze and broke. Well filled it up but battery wont take charge. Is it possible for this bike to have way over charged battery in that short of time. Or did I buy a wally world reject. Also why just the one cell. This just seamed weird to me is all. :think: ps. I turned the battery upside down probably at least 6 times.

Well I took the battery out of a 750 virago. It was new last summer. On the positive side of battery first cell. It was 3/4 empty of electrolyte. This bike never got rode but maybe two tanks of fuel. I thought froze and broke. Well filled it up but battery wont take charge. Is it possible for this bike to have way over charged battery in that short of time. Or did I buy a wally world reject. Also why just the one cell. This just seamed weird to me is all. :think: ps. I turned the battery upside down probably at least 6 times.

I have had same problem with battery on the Rebel before going with the AGM battery.

Is this a battery that had the electrolyte already in it when you bought it or is it one where you add the electrolyte to it to activate it?? In the first instance, was it full when you bought it ? In either case Did you fully charge the "new" battery before installing it in your bike?? If its been sitting around Walmart, it was probably only at 80% charge. Will it start your bike that way? Sure. Will your bike ever charge it to 100%? No. Unless there is a problem with your bikes charging system, its unlikely your bike boiled the electrolyte out. Change in specific gravity of the fluid as a battery discharges will cause the level to drop. Trickle chargers will slowly boil fluid out also. Years ago new motorcycle batteries were shipped/stored dry and you filled them to put them in to service. When we used to fill new batteries at the Motorcycle shop, you filled them to the lower line. Once they sat and the plates absorbed you filled them to the lower line again. Then you charged them. Fully charged they would end up at or above the upper line. Anyway the cell with the low level is probably a dead cell now. Not a fan of Walmart or any aftermarket Autostore battery for motorcycles. WM battery dead after a year of sitting and not taking a charge is not surprising. I have had good service out of the Yuasa brand batteries. The one in my RSTD went 7 years and was still starting the bike when I replaced it.

I bought a Walmart Everstart battery for my Kawasaki that was made by Yuasa. It was an AGM and it came with the acid separate that i had to pour into the battery cells and then charge slowly for a day. It worked great for 5 or 6 years spinning the starter really fast and then one day it was completely dead. I suspect I damaged it because it was a little taller than the battery it replaced and the seat may have been resting on the battery. I replaced it with an AGM from Autozone. Their computer had the correct battery selection for my bike that was shorter. It's doing fine so far.

For just one cell to be 3/4 empty, either you have a leak, or it was never filled full in the first place.

When you refilled that cell did you fill it with battery acid or water? If acid leaked out or was never filled in the first place adding water will dilute the acid that is in there and it will not make power.

If it was an issue with the bikes charging system it would have done the same thing to all of the cells, not just one.

Once the battery is activated and then the plates get to see air, they will oxidize and the battery is usually toast. There are additives that you can put in the battery that can break down some of the oxidation, they may bring it back. First thing is to check the specific gravity to see if you now have a cell full of acid or a cell full of water.