IGNORED

Do I really need another Venture?

luvmy40

I'm considering trading my '82 Yamaha Maxim 750 for another '83 XVZ12TK.. The guy selling it is asking way too much for it unless it's immaculate, but he said he'd be interested in trading for a smaller bike.

There's also an '89 1300 Royale that is more reasonably priced and the guy is looking for a motor home to trade. My son happens to be the owner of an older GM based motor home that has been sitting in storage for several years now. He may be interested in the trade.

We could wind up with three Gen 1s in the driveway.

I had one of those old GMC motorhomes. They can be really cool when restored. They're a nice cross between a conversion van and a small class A motorhome.

Of course, the ventures are pretty cool too.

I have a first gen MKII and a second gen, and haven't had time to ride this year.

I'll be taking it on a trip up to the Cabin with friends next weekend, and that'll be the first time either of them have been out of the shed this year.

Gas in the first gen is heavily dosed with seafoam, but is a year and a half old.

I keep thinking I need to sell the first gen, but for what I could get from it, I'd rather keep it. It has a healthy motor on it, and does, or at least did, run really well. Super reliable.:2cents:

NOPE!!!

Stay away from the '83 as there are too many problems with them! You either want a late production '85 or an MK2...

So, what are these many problems that I should be wary of? I know they are prone to losing second gear but that's the only warning I've been given.

That and not to buy Chinese gaskets! Though I had to figure that out the hard way.

Is it just the 83 that had frame rust problems? I thought that was the entire gen1 series?

No, the broken frame issue is only with the '83. What happens are they rust from the inside out only at the area of the rear shock mount. They redesigned the shock mount in '84 and beefed it up. One of the other issues is the oil cooling of the stator. There was a kit made which replaces the center bolt with one that had a hole and a pin to spray oil over the stator better to cool it more. There were a couple of other minor '83 only issues as well but I can't remember them at the moment. You already know about the 2nd gear issue that was corrected mid '85 production.

Although IMHO the 1200 engine was a better engine than the 1300, the MK2 is a superior bike, mainly due to the improved braking system. The MK1 system is anemic at best! The MK2 stops a lot better, but even then there are a few improvements you can do with them that you can't do with the MK1 without changing the front fork lowers and changing the rotors, and converting the swingarm to an MK2 and replacing the rear caliper and caliper mounting bracket. Another sorely needed improvement with the MK2 was the headlight. You can improve the MK1 headlight greatly by just painting the rubber bezel WHITE and put in a Silverstar bulb. There are other minor differences with the MK2 but brakes and headlights are the major biggies along with the Electric Antidive which replaced the hydraulic ones which robbed from the front brakes which are inadequate, to begin with...

But hey, even with their issues the '83 was far superior as a touring bike than anything else out there at the time and still are great motorcycles!!!

Oh well, the guy with '83 turned out to be the typical CL douche. All of a sudden he can't ride to meet me, so I'll go to him. Then he "Got laid off today, I really need cash." when he was the one who instigated the trade scenario.

Maybe the trade for the '89 MK2 will go through for my son.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all trades are off right now. The fellow that wanted to trade for a motor home decided to wait until his next trip back up from FL before doing anything. He didn't have enough time to do the required maint. or get titling and registration straightened out to drive it home this trip. Still a possibility but back burnered at the least.

The dude with the '83 has texted me twice now with successively lower cash prices. He's down to $850.00 but has admitted that it has carb issues and a dead battery.

I wasn't really looking for another Venture when I found these and really don't have an extra $K to play with. Still, if he comes down any more, I may have to think about it as a parts bike if nothing else.

Yup!! Non-running '83 with all of its known issues is a parts bike fer sure, and I would not pay much over $300 for it (even though parted out you could get over $1000).

He claims it runs and is ride-able. He said it was sputtering badly at higher rpms so he ran some seafoam and it cleared up. I doubt it but I've seen seafoam do some pretty impressive magic in the past. I'm sure it needs a good carb cleaning and sync at the very least. The fact that he is unwilling to ride it to meet me tells me there is something more in question.