IGNORED

Cruise Control Problem

When I try to use my cruise the light comes on but cant seem to get the cruise to hold.

I have power every where i need it for the cruise. My front brake switch does not turn brake light on. Will this make my cruise not work? My VC was made in 10/83 so would it be an 83 or 84 VC?

When I try to use my cruise the light comes on but cant seem to get the cruise to hold.

I have power every where i need it for the cruise. My front brake switch does not turn brake light on. Will this make my cruise not work? My VC was made in 10/83 so would it be an 83 or 84 VC?

You got it, the brake lights need to work to allow the cruise to work. There are a few other things that can cause the cruise to be inoperable but there is no point chasing them until you get the light working.

What's a "VC"? Venture something I assume but there are, for simplicity's sake, two versions for the Gen 1 MkI (83 to 85), the Venture Royale and the Venture Standard. The Gen 1 Mk II only came in Royale mode....I think.

Of course there is also the Gen 2 which is a Harley wannabe followed by the real Harley poser and the latest from Yamaha, the Star Venture.

I changed the front master cylinder on my G2 (Harleys want to be) to a 14mm and had to carefully adapt the stock brake light switch to it and an adjustable lever from ANOTHER MC, I ended up making a "hump" out of JB weld so the switch was correctly depressed as needed, cruise worked "as good as a venture cruise works" for my recent road trip. Would like to pull and relube all the throttle cables "again" using STP or some other super lube to see if I can get that last bit of stickiness out of the system. Got real used to tapping the wrist blade I have on the throttle for "hill assist". LOL

PS the 14mm MC and FJR calipers with SS lines REALLY improve the brakes!!!! Had to get the adjustable lever so I wasn't over extending my grip causing poor leverage. Yeah the lever got that firm!

:dancefool:

Alright got switch out but it crumbled in my fingers. I found all 4 wires. Now the hard part. Where can i get a switch? I really want my cruise to work. If need be how can i bypass front brake switch so my cruise will work.

Normally Ebay is our friend but I just checked for you and there are no 4 wire units listed! Also, checking a few OEM parts listings seem to yield nothing available either! So, I guess you will just have to check out some motorcycle boneyard places like Pinwall in Ohio, etc. The switches for the MK2 should work but there is a little black module attached to the harness that is a noise suppressor for the brake light circuit which also includes the electric anti-dive which is the real source of the noise.

I used to have a spare or two but I must have already given them away. You might want to check with Earl, Skydoc_17 as he does sell some used parts and he might have one on a parts bike, or maybe someone else has one laying around. Good luck!

I have a replacement MC for my bike that only has the 2 wire brake light switch.

To get the cruise to work properly I will be wiring in a relay to operate the cruise part of the circuit.

For temporary testing of the system connect the Black/White wire to the Green/Yellow wire to bypass the switch. With the switch bypassed the cruise will not turn off when hitting the brakes. This could be very bad in a fast stop situation with the cruise pulling full throttle to try to maintain speed while you are trying your best to stop fast. This bypass is to be used for testing only.

The 4 wire switch is actually a double pole switch, the brake light and cruise circuits are not connected in any way electrically. Your brake light issue and cruise issue are separate electrical issues that are likely connected mechanically by the broken switch.

PS @camos

My bike is a 1988, 1st gen, MKII, STANDARD.:rasberry::stickpoke::stirthepot:

I have a replacement MC for my bike that only has the 2 wire brake light switch.

To get the cruise to work properly I will be wiring in a relay to operate the cruise part of the circuit.

For temporary testing of the system connect the Black/White wire to the Green/Yellow wire to bypass the switch. With the switch bypassed the cruise will not turn off when hitting the brakes. This could be very bad in a fast stop situation with the cruise pulling full throttle to try to maintain speed while you are trying your best to stop fast. This bypass is to be used for testing only.

The 4 wire switch is actually a double pole switch, the brake light and cruise circuits are not connected in any way electrically. Your brake light issue and cruise issue are separate electrical issues that are likely connected mechanically by the broken switch.

PS camos

Can you send me instructions on how to wire in a relay for my cruise control. I have a bad wrist so i need my cruise for long trips. Thank you for telling me how to test it.

First you need a 12V 5 pin relay that is SPDT. Like this one.

I have seen 5 pin relays that have 2 pins labeled 87 and no pin 87a it is a standard SPST with 2 output terminals. You need the SPDT version for this that has a Pin 87a.

Connect a wire from Pin 85 to ground.

Connect a wire from Pin 86 to tap into the Yellow brake light wire from the brake switch.

Connect the green/yellow wire from the brake switch to Pin 30.

Connect the Black/White wire from the brake switch to Pin 87a.

Place an insulated terminal with no wire onto Pin 87 just so it can not short on anything.

You still will have the Yellow and the Brown wires connected to the brake light switch.

PS camos

Thanks for the clarification FF. :cool:

I thought you had a Gen II and also do remember you saying that you had a standard, unfortunately I failed to put the two together when I made the post. :doh: :doh: :doh:

If you want a brand new 2 wire brake switch to trigger the relay, send me your addy in a PM and I'll mail it to you, I have no use for it myself...

That way you can use just the front brake and the cruise will still shut off and your brake light will work with the front brake as well! I didn't look to make sure, but I think Jeff's system is using the brake lights to trigger the relay. I'll check...

No, Jeff is assuming you still have a functional front switch, and I am assuming that by your statement that the switch disintegrated in your hand you do not have a front switch. You also stated your brake lights were not working with the front brakes, most likely due to the switch being bad completely.

So my offer stands, one brand new Standard (not cruise control) front brake switch yours for the asking!

Edited by bongobobny

If you want a brand new 2 wire brake switch to trigger the relay, send me your addy in a PM and I'll mail it to you, I have no use for it myself...

That way you can use just the front brake and the cruise will still shut off and your brake light will work with the front brake as well! I didn't look to make sure, but I think Jeff's system is using the brake lights to trigger the relay. I'll check...

No, Jeff is assuming you still have a functional front switch, and I am assuming that by your statement that the switch disintegrated in your hand you do not have a front switch. You also stated your brake lights were not working with the front brakes, most likely due to the switch being bad completely.

So my offer stands, one brand new Standard (not cruise control) front brake switch yours for the asking!

I just sent you my info if you dont get it let me know. Thank you again and thanks to everyone for the help. I will being joining the group for the year on here and hopefully i can help others the way you guys helped us.