IGNORED

Venture leads the way

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Yall would be so proud.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/ride-time/IMG_1176.jpg

Went riding with a bunch of buddies Sunday...once again, I was asked to be 'point man'. I took everyone on a short ride around some of the more scenic areas in Amarillo, and led them to the top of this little hill that is northwest of Amarillo.

I pulled over at the top, and although its hard to see, my 2007 Venture is at the front. All the other bikes are Harleys. Three ElectraGlides, a Fatboy, a Sportster, and a RoadKing. You can see the Amarillo skyline in the distance.

Granted, these guys know I'm good at running 'point', and they know that I'm very familiar with the area. Still, its a hoot when your the only metric rider with a small herd of Harleys following. Kinda fun.

I tried to get some video of the ride, but its hard to do when your the one in front, riding solo. Then my camera batteries died. Oh well.

First order of the day was a big biker breakfast at a place called Cody's, on the north side of Amarillo. Huge pile of food, and we all just toss in a few dollars to the cook. Then we made a few stops at some watering holes, and ate some free food, including calf fries, at a redneck dive called the Ranch House. All in all, a good time was had by all.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/ride-time/DSCN0937.jpg

So...any other Venture riders wanna come along next time?

its a hoot when your the only metric rider with a small herd of Harleys following. Kinda fun.

I quite often have a "herd of Harleys" following me... they're usually trying to keep up .... yep, it's a hoot alright! (my son and his 2 buddies are the "herd")

:rotf:

Guest tx2sturgis
I quite often have a "herd of Harleys" following me... they're usually trying to keep up .... yep, it's a hoot alright! (my son and his 2 buddies are the "herd")

Maybe they just dont like us following, and riding up their tailpipes!!!

:whistling:

Guest Kurt Leopold

I sometimes wonder about these Harleys when I look in biker mags and see gizmos for sale for Harleys - :whistling:to stop "weaving, wiggling, rear steer & wobblinjg"

Guest tx2sturgis
I sometimes wonder about these Harleys when I look in biker mags and see gizmos for sale for Harleys - :whistling:to stop "weaving, wiggling, rear steer & wobblinjg"

Hey dude...I had to put one of those 'gizmos' on my Ultra, to cure all that 'bagger wobble' as its called. (called bagger wobble since its only a problem on the FL's: ElectraGlides, StreetGlides, RoadGlides, and RoadKings) I also changed the shocks, (twice!) and some other minor adjustments on motormounts and steering head bearings. Not to mention messing around with tire pressures, fork oil, fork pressures, and rear shock pressures, trying to get rid of that 'rear steer'....I can tell ya, it aint fun when your leaned over in a long sweeper at 70 mph and hit a minor bump and the bike goes into a violent 'wiggle'...scary to say the least!

I finally found the cure...it's called a RideStr8. I used both the stabilizer kit and the axle kit, which came to nearly $500...trying to cure what the factory should be able to figure out. It did cure it tho. My Ultra handles pretty good now. Not perfect, but I'd say its 90% of where it should be.

Harley Davidson knows about the problem, but if they do anything to 'fix' it, they are admiting that there IS a problem, which they publicly have denied. Too many lawsuits. Oh yeah, every H-D shop service writer knows about it. But (wink wink) its not a problem according to the Motor Company.

Its the same logic they use when they dont put oil coolers on stock 'off the shelf' bikes (other than SE and CVO bikes). The logic goes, these are air cooled, and you dont need an oil cooler on a stock bike. Ok, fine, but they sure have several in the catalogs that you can buy for several hundred dollars!

Hey...the Venture has its problems too...brake lockup, clutch whining, weak stator, and a few other minor issues...its all a matter of what you will put up with. The difference for me has been, the Venture is about 5 to 7 grand cheaper than a new Ultra...and 5 year warranty too!

Last time I went ridin' down there was in '97, brought my IT400 down with me (there for 7 weeks) and rode in the Canadien River bed every night after work till about 9 or so. Lotta fun, not much else to do down there!

Guest tx2sturgis
Last time I went ridin' down there was in '97, brought my IT400 down with me (there for 7 weeks) and rode in the Canadien River bed every night after work till about 9 or so. Lotta fun, not much else to do down there!

Well, if you know where to go, and what to do, there certainly is. And if you had not spent 7 weeks playin in the river mud, you might have found something! Of course, that river mud, if you remember, stains, stinks, and its like quicksand at times.

So...with your body and clothes discolored and smelling like bog slime, then maybe you were not going to have much luck with any of the Texas ladies anyway!!

Just razzin ya....really...there are some things to do...but ya gotta know something about the area....shoulda called me!!

Ahhhh, I can remember a couple weekday afternoon rides when a certain "entertainer" lady was out there rock hunting, very interesting days! We also saw the canyon and some other sites around. I was there once when it snowed!