IGNORED

Torque Spec's

I'm having a problem with fork oil leaking out of one fork tube right where the anti-dive attaches...I have replaced the O-rings twice and I'm still getting a leak...funny thing was, I made it almost two season without a leak...now I've made the switch twice with new Yamaha O-rings and I'm still leaking.

Anyway, does anyone know the torque spec? Since it's aluminum I want to make sure I don't over tighten.

Thanks

Pat

Are you sure it's fork oil and not brake fluid?

5.8lb is no torque at all, I would call that snug, but not tight. If it's fork oil you either have a bad o-ring, dirt in the seal area or a cracked anti-dive I think.

Thanks Jeff and Carl...

I'm absolutely positive it's fork oil, that side has been clean twice and this is the second set of O-rings. During my rebuild and the second time fix, I knew it was being tightened into aluminum so I just snugged up the anti-dive.

This is really becoming a PIA!

Does anyone have a template for a block off plate (where I work, we have a complete machine shop), I know Skydoc sells them, but he doesn't have any right now. If not , I might just start collecting parts for a MKII set of fork tubes/wheel/rotors/and either blue dots of MKII calipers.

I'm absolutely positive it's fork oil, that side has been clean twice and this is the second set of O-rings. During my rebuild and the second time fix, I knew it was being tightened into aluminum so I just snugged up the anti-dive.
Have you sprayed the anti-dive area with something like baby powder or talc to find out precisely where the leak is occurring? I'm with Carl, good o-rings,, clean and torqued should be all that is necessary to prevent leaks. So cracked or warped or a burr could be the other reasons for a leak there.

Does anyone have a template for a block off plate (where I work, we have a complete machine shop), I know Skydoc sells them, but he doesn't have any right now.
Any machinist should be able to make a block off plate using the anti-dive for the measurements. A template could be made by coating the face of the anti-dive with something like oil or grease then stamping a clean piece of paper.

If not , I might just start collecting parts for a MKII set of fork tubes/wheel/rotors/and either blue dots of MKII calipers.
Whether or not you fix the leak, upgrading to MkII forks would be a good plan considering the anemic reputation of the MkI brakes.

I'm having a problem with fork oil leaking out of one fork tube right where the anti-dive attaches...I have replaced the O-rings twice and I'm still getting a leak...funny thing was, I made it almost two season without a leak...now I've made the switch twice with new Yamaha O-rings and I'm still leaking.

Anyway, does anyone know the torque spec? Since it's aluminum I want to make sure I don't over tighten.

Thanks

Pat

A friend of mine had the same problem on his 83VR,he found a used part at the salvage yard,replaced it and problem was solved,by the way we changed the O-rings 3 times,to no avail.

Good Luck