IGNORED

84 venture losing air in front forks

i have a 1984 venture for a couple of years when i aired up the front forks they leaked out after a couple of days but finally they went out. Now when i air them up they stay for about 10 minutes then there is no more air left. i cant hear any leaks. Is this the fork seals or what? new to working on the bikes and need a little help

thanks alot

Chris,

Is your bike a standard or does it have the CLASS system on it. If your not seeing it leak with the soapy water trick on the fork tubes then I would start looking at the tops of the forks behind the fairing. Like Bob mentioned there are 4 orings at the top of the forks, I would check there too. If it has the class system....then you have some other fittings to check :doh:

i checked the valve stem where you air them up

the hoses all the way to the forks and where they screw in

all was good except i had a air leak on the right fork the rubber seal/gasket the one that connects the upper and lower part of the forks is there a way to fix this? i pushed them down and it worked but they have a little leak no matter how you press it it just moves around the seal.

also is this seal a fork seal or is it insidE? thanks very much for all yalls help

Chris,

It sounds to me like you have a fork seal leaking, it is under the black rubber dust seal cover. It is on the inside and takes some skill to take it apart and repair it. If your not real familiar with how to do it I would say take it to someone that does it for a living. It can be a pain to do if you dont have the right tools. Some folks have removed the fork from the bike and brought the forks into a dealer and had them do it for the cost of an hours labor. Something I will mention here is when you do replace them, use Yamaha parts. Dont go with the "Never leak again" seals the factory parts for this application are the best your going to get and you dont want to screw with them again.