IGNORED

Can't get 83 Venture (T) into neutral.

I thought I saw a post about this the other day but I can't find it . Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me because I've been stewing about this for a couple of weeks? I filled my clutch reservoir and bled it. I can't get it to shift below 2nd gear. She's not running yet but any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I thought I saw a post about this the other day but I can't find it . Maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me because I've been stewing about this for a couple of weeks? I filled my clutch reservoir and bled it. I can't get it to shift below 2nd gear. She's not running yet but any help would be appreciated.

2nd gear has been repaired less than 150 miles before bike sat 1.5 yrs.

Yeah well not sure if its a bike in general that does it, The Rebel sometimes I had to shut it off to get it into neutral. Tinker sometimes I have to rock her a little bit to get her into neutral so all i can suggest is trying rocking it back and forth and push down on shifter. You might also want to try and go up. Just in case it is actually in first gear. Sometimes they may be a bit tricky to get it there in neutral sometimes I have had to shut Tinker down to get her to go into neutral. Seems like it always happens at the gas pump...

So we need to know if this is a new thing for you, or if it was this way when you got it.

Sometimes it's a real bummer trying to find neutral, but 1st should always be available.

If it's been this way since you go it, then if my memory serves me correctly, there is a chance that when the rebuild was done the shift shaft was not put back properly. The reason second gear goes south is a washer at the end of the gear train being too soft. If you take the middle gear cover off, you can actually see it and touch it, but you got to remove the transmission to repair it. If there is an extra washer in that location, and I think there are 2, then it will screw with the shifting. Don't ask me how I know. The second washer is a thin washer and can easily be missed on re-assembly.

The other issue might be that the shift forks are bent a bit, again you need to get into the tranny to fix.

If you can shift to 2nd and 3rd easily enough, my guess is that it is not the clutch.

By the way, $12 is a stipend to access all the info and help you are getting. Join us, and be happy.

So we need to know if this is a new thing for you, or if it was this way when you got it.

Sometimes it's a real bummer trying to find neutral, but 1st should always be available.

If it's been this way since you go it, then if my memory serves me correctly, there is a chance that when the rebuild was done the shift shaft was not put back properly. The reason second gear goes south is a washer at the end of the gear train being too soft. If you take the middle gear cover off, you can actually see it and touch it, but you got to remove the transmission to repair it. If there is an extra washer in that location, and I think there are 2, then it will screw with the shifting. Don't ask me how I know. The second washer is a thin washer and can easily be missed on re-assembly.

The other issue might be that the shift forks are bent a bit, again you need to get into the tranny to fix.

If you can shift to 2nd and 3rd easily enough, my guess is that it is not the clutch.

By the way, $12 is a stipend to access all the info and help you are getting. Join us, and be happy.

Thanks! I thought I had joined but must have spaced it. You guys are amazing! It went into all Years before and somehow we managed to get it into gear while pushing it up hill through 3 back yards to my house 4 of us carried it the last 150 feet. It shifts up 3 times and back down to second but not neutral or 1st.

Thanks! I thought I had joined but must have spaced it. You guys are amazing! It went into all Years before and somehow we managed to get it into gear while pushing it up hill through 3 back yards to my house 4 of us carried it the last 150 feet. It shifts up 3 times and back down to second but not neutral or 1st.

4 of you carried it? Dang you and your friends are a lot stronger than me. This is not a lightweight bike.

I wonder, if a pin falls out of the shift cam it will prevent you from shifting up beyond that point. If you are above that point when the pin falls out will it also prevent you from going below that point? What say ye that have spent more time in the trans than I have. I thought that that part can at least be seen by pulling the clutch cover.

4 of you carried it? Dang you and your friends are a lot stronger than me. This is not a lightweight bike.

I wonder, if a pin falls out of the shift cam it will prevent you from shifting up beyond that point. If you are above that point when the pin falls out will it also prevent you from going below that point? What say ye that have spent more time in the trans than I have. I thought that that part can at least be seen by pulling the clutch cover.

Two pushed and steered, two strong young immigrants who do real work for a living carried the rear. I'm a scrawny 59 year old hoping to be able back it out a parking stall![emoji53]

Jeff...right.I remember that discussion. Should be a thread all about the pins with pictures. Good memory.

Don't know if that's the problem, but it seems all the usual suspects for hard shifting are now covered??

Oil change, bent or loose linkages, washer, and the pin issue.

BTW, welcome to the forum!!