IGNORED

SPYDER Man SPYDER Man, won't be seen on 2 wheels again!

flyday58

Well, the time has come, I think, for many sad partings. It looks like I'll be going the Can Am route here pretty soon, and the Venture must go. I really love the old girl, lots of busted knuckles and chewed-up fingernails went into getting her road-worthy again, not to mention the piles of :2cents: that have disappeared down N. Ebay Blvd. But the canyon I live up is just too rugged for her, I dropped her once in a gopher hole getting out, so she stays parked most of the time and that ain't good for the old gal. So on the block she goes.

I won't say I'm done with Ventures, but for the nonce I think I'll be better off on 3 wheels. I'm looking at the Spyder and trying to get as much research in as possible before running one down. Any input from y'all that have or have had or has have had one would be appreciated appreciatively.

So in the immortal words of Carol Burnett, "I'm so glad we had this time together..." Well, not really saying 'so long', still gonna be lurking here, so I guess that don't actually apply. Just always loved The Carol Burnett Show. Guys like Herr Puckenmeister prolly don't remember it, they too dang young.:stirthepot:

Someone here was saying the twins need the valves adjusted frequently, and who doesn't need more horses? I'm leaning toward the RT models. Pricing on Can Am's accessories makes me think if I'm gonna get that stuff anyway might as well be part of the initial buy. And the other models seem more open-air whereas the RT 'feels' more enclosed with the bags and trunk. Yeah, I know. It's like flying a Sopwith Camel and worrying about the lack of seat belts - flip it over and you're still gone, seat belt or not.:rotf:

Purchased a 2012 can-am limited last may. It now belongs to the wife but she still lets me ride it.

Advise for buying one= get a 2014 or newer. Absolutely avoid the 2013's there was a problem with excessive heat that they remedied by adding air ducts to bring fresh air around engine but they got really hot on the seat and the right foot. 2012 and older have similar problems but no recall for them. I was able to get air ducts added to my 2012 but if I had to do it over I would go with newer model.

The spyders love high rpms, best power/performance above 4,000 rpm. You won't go as far on a tank of fuel; they will average around 32-35mpg if you use high octane, lower if you use ethanol (around 25-28mpg) but they run fine on ethanol otherwise.

Check out spyderlovers.com for good info on them.

Flyday58,

I get what yer sayin. We've been gandering at the Spyder RT for quite some time now, and have went so far as to test ride a couple. They are truly technologically loaded machines. I've even signed up on syderlovers.com and quizzed those folks with durability questions, and other need to know things. They are surprisingly durable, steady performing machines. There are a ton of folks on the spyderlovers site that have ridden them all over the country for a ton of miles with no issues. Last week, my wife and I did a 5 day, 1000 mile ride to Key West and back up through the middle of Florida on our Tour Deluxe, and while the ratio of other bikes we saw was as usual, dominated by Harleys, we saw a steady diet of Spyders on the road too. There are more and more of them on the road.

So, I say, you should get ya one, but as others have stated, make sure it is a 2014 or newer, with the ACE 1330 motor.

Big Lenny

Flyday58 I went to the Spyder in 2015 after 28 years on the V4 and have never looked back. Puc seen my Spyder at Sturgis 2015 so has UTadventure. I have the VTwin model and other then the right foot there is no problem with heat on mine.It is an RT. I fixed the rt foot with a block off plate. I have put nearly 20,000 miles on it since June of 2015. Gas mileage on ethanol stay around 30-31 mpg. I stay with traffic at any speed up to 80-85. Haven't gone any faster but could. Valves say check at 14500 but like the Venture that is largely wasted effort,wait until 50,000.Very comfortable have done done 700-800 mile days,tho I did put a gel pad in the seat. If you can afford the 3cyl 1330 go for it but if you are on budget get a 2010-2012 and run the wheels off it. Mine is a 2012 RTL which means I have the paddle shifter, nice to not have to worry about the clutch.

July 4 2016.jpgBryce july 4 2016.jpg

Well, the time has come, I think, for many sad partings. It looks like I'll be going the Can Am route here pretty soon, and the Venture must go. I really love the old girl, lots of busted knuckles and chewed-up fingernails went into getting her road-worthy again, not to mention the piles of :2cents: that have disappeared down N. Ebay Blvd. But the canyon I live up is just too rugged for her, I dropped her once in a gopher hole getting out, so she stays parked most of the time and that ain't good for the old gal. So on the block she goes.

I won't say I'm done with Ventures, but for the nonce I think I'll be better off on 3 wheels. I'm looking at the Spyder and trying to get as much research in as possible before running one down. Any input from y'all that have or have had or has have had one would be appreciated appreciatively.

So in the immortal words of Carol Burnett, "I'm so glad we had this time together..." Well, not really saying 'so long', still gonna be lurking here, so I guess that don't actually apply. Just always loved The Carol Burnett Show. Guys like Herr Puckenmeister prolly don't remember it, they too dang young.:stirthepot:

Thanks for all the replies. My wife told me to do what I want, so better take her at her word while I can! I'm looking at a new 2015 or so RT if I can get one in some color other than 1950s Television Show. The Can Am dealer sites are mostly showing the manufacturer pics so not much help there, guess I'll jump in the H2 and head across the divide to the Las Cruces stealership and see what they got. Albuquerque may be better, they have some on clearance but almost 5 hours away.

The only real issue I might have is the canyon road I live on. Parts are pretty rugged. Also my driveway is very steep. Anyone heard of or had issues with either of these?

I like the idea of getting an older machine - there's an 08 on El Paso CG for 6500.00 but not sure I want to go that route, guy doesn't give much info about it and not really wanting to call without knowing more. But I also like the idea of new since I don't go that way much anymore.

I'll keep y'all informed as I go along but may be a slow process. Listed the Venture yesterday, got one bite but nothing serious. We'll see.

Back in 2014 we bought a Spyder and sold the Venture. We test rode an 08 2 years before but were not impressed with the constant vibration, but with the 3 cyl that is mostly gone. Today, although I kind of miss the 85, I would not go back, Spyders are a way to much fun to go back to 2 wheels, but then so is VR.org so we're not leaving here anytime soon.

Comments:

Kenda tires are junk, get some Kumos.

Sway bar needs to be replaced with a heavier aftermarket one.

Rear brakes wear sooner than the front, rotten things are not cheap either.

Lots of heat from the cat converter, so we took it off.

It needs more lights, so we did that.

Horn is wincey, so air horns were installed

Alignment has been an issue in the past. If it don't track straight on it's own, it needs an alignment. Not necessarily done at factory or the dealer. Once it's right, WOW!!

Oil change every 15,000km, but it takes a while, Get the filters on e-bay, much cheaper.

Don't over do the tire pressures, go by recommend settings. Note; if rear tire wears in the middle, add more air, maybe a pound or two, don't take some out, wrong move!!

It takes a bit to work on these things, but once you have the covers off it becomes easier, something like a GW.

4 areas of storage is somewhat handy, but the clam shell side cases,,,, well they are clam shell.

Any questions? ask away.

Goes like stink and uses about as much gas as a 2nd gen, maybe a wee bit more, but nothing like a trike.

BajaRon makes a sway bar that is the ticket. I also get my filters from him. He sells Amzoil also but I buy my oil locally. Valvoline T4 10/40 or Shell Delo T6 5/40 . If you decide to go used VTwin don't go older then 2010 and don't go less then an RT Limited. New you can drop down a stage but stay with the RT. You and the wife will be much happier. There are some leftover 2015 and more 2016s,but you have to look around.

Back in 2014 we bought a Spyder and sold the Venture. We test rode an 08 2 years before but were not impressed with the constant vibration, but with the 3 cyl that is mostly gone. Today, although I kind of miss the 85, I would not go back, Spyders are a way to much fun to go back to 2 wheels, but then so is VR.org so we're not leaving here anytime soon.

Comments:

Kenda tires are junk, get some Kumos.

Sway bar needs to be replaced with a heavier aftermarket one.

Rear brakes wear sooner than the front, rotten things are not cheap either.

Lots of heat from the cat converter, so we took it off.

It needs more lights, so we did that.

Horn is wincey, so air horns were installed

Alignment has been an issue in the past. If it don't track straight on it's own, it needs an alignment. Not necessarily done at factory or the dealer. Once it's right, WOW!!

Oil change every 15,000km, but it takes a while, Get the filters on e-bay, much cheaper.

Don't over do the tire pressures, go by recommend settings. Note; if rear tire wears in the middle, add more air, maybe a pound or two, don't take some out, wrong move!!

It takes a bit to work on these things, but once you have the covers off it becomes easier, something like a GW.

4 areas of storage is somewhat handy, but the clam shell side cases,,,, well they are clam shell.

Any questions? ask away.

Goes like stink and uses about as much gas as a 2nd gen, maybe a wee bit more, but nothing like a trike.

Good stuff here. Was reading about the tires last night and that's on the short list already. Kumho came up but some swear by Yoko,everyone agrees about the Kendas.

So just lose the cat, or is there something to go in its place? And could you pm me your light set up? Did you dump the halogens for bi-xenon or LED?

Did you buy the gizmo they talk about for doing your own alignments?

The clam shells only hold clams? Finicky on closing? What's up here?

What did you get for air horns? Again, would like to see a pic or two if possible.

Have you done the belt tensioner mod? Some say the newer models don't really need it.

Thanks for all this.:biker:

BajaRon makes a sway bar that is the ticket. I also get my filters from him. He sells Amzoil also but I buy my oil locally. Valvoline T4 10/40 or Shell Delo T6 5/40 . If you decide to go used VTwin don't go older then 2010 and don't go less then an RT Limited. New you can drop down a stage but stay with the RT. You and the wife will be much happier. There are some leftover 2015 and more 2016s,but you have to look around.

Thanks for the sway bar info, haven't seen anything about this (yet) but haven't dived that deep into the Spyder forums yet either. Right now I'm zeroing in on a 2016 RT Limited but still need to make the trip across the desert to the showroom to have a look. Very little used in my area, although the local Yammy guys have a used 2015 RS-S with 9000 on it for 13999. There's a brand new one, exactly the same model and color, on clearance in Albuquerque for 12999 so, yeah.:confused24:

If you are not opposed to buying long distance I think these people are very reputable

http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com/

you might also try

http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/

Both of them are used to shipping and have really good prices.

Lots of information at spyderlovers.com

This is the best site for

spyders.

Edited by Pegasus1300

If you are not opposed to buying long distance I think these people are very reputable

http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com/

you might also try

http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/

Both of them are used to shipping and have really good prices.

Lots of information at spyderlovers.com

This is the best site for

spyders.

Thanks, I'll check out the links. Supposed to go across the desert in the a.m. to check out the RTs they have but I'll look at these first.

Good stuff here. Was reading about the tires last night and that's on the short list already. Kumho came up but some swear by Yoko,everyone agrees about the Kendas.

So just lose the cat, or is there something to go in its place? And could you pm me your light set up? Did you dump the halogens for bi-xenon or LED?

Did you buy the gizmo they talk about for doing your own alignments?

The clam shells only hold clams? Finicky on closing? What's up here?

What did you get for air horns? Again, would like to see a pic or two if possible.

Have you done the belt tensioner mod? Some say the newer models don't really need it.

Thanks for all this.:biker:

Took out the cat and just replaced it with SS pipe.

Lights up front are OEM and work just fine, no issues there. I did add more LEDs to the rear, and that was just a matter of choice, had to make it mine I guess.

Clam shell bags tend to loose their innards before you can slap the lid closed and if you get that done right, when you open it everything comes spilling out. Now if you do it right,, not bad, but you really shouldn't pull on the bottom cloth and expect the rest to stay put.

Air horns were a donation from Wizard765.They are now hidden in beside the frunk.

Yes, I made my own belt tensioner at half the price of Lamonster, and it works well. Not sure how the 15-17 models are with vibration, but for the 14 it sure helps.

It takes a bit of adjusting to get the back wheel aligned and the tension spot on.

I made my own setup for alignment. 2 magnetic lazer levels, a special cone to insert into the front hubs and a piece of pine 1x4. Then just to figure out how to measure it all. Worked better than the dealer.

Also made my own rear wheel balancer. Found that the MC wheel balancers were to light to handle the weight of the rear wheel and with a car balancer the shaft was too thick. So I spent an afternoon designing my own, That works good as well.

If you want pictures your going to have to wait until I get things out of storage in the next week or so and get to work on the scoot. Then I'll see what I can do.

I like the thought of the bigger engines in 2014??:think: Would like to know how the older engines were. :think:If a guy picked up one of the 900 engines would it be lacking for power on the road??:think: I been looking for a while.

You mean the 990 with 105hp?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Someone here was saying the twins need the valves adjusted frequently, and who doesn't need more horses? I'm leaning toward the RT models. Pricing on Can Am's accessories makes me think if I'm gonna get that stuff anyway might as well be part of the initial buy. And the other models seem more open-air whereas the RT 'feels' more enclosed with the bags and trunk. Yeah, I know. It's like flying a Sopwith Camel and worrying about the lack of seat belts - flip it over and you're still gone, seat belt or not.:rotf:
I'm not ready for three wheels yet but your thread got me interested enough to look around at what's available. It looks to me that the lower end models with no storage would be reasonably easy to graft on the bags and trunk from a MKII which arguably have the best storage available on a motorcycle.

You might not be very interested in a hybrid custom job but looks like it might save thousands. Depending, of course, on what other equipment has been left off the lower end models.

Took the plunge and put a deposit down on a pearl red RT Limited. Picking up Tuesday or Wednesday so still time to back out. Nervous as hell, never had anything like this but I do keep hearing from folks who are thinking about it. There was a guy at the dealer getting a Quad Runner or similar and he said he and his wife are seriously considering trading their Harley for one.

They had a Slingshot that someone had traded so glad I got to see one, but not my cup of joe. Reminded me of the kit cars they had in the 70s.

Still only one bite on the Venture but I listed it on two local CGs today so hopefully there'll be some interest out there. About the only thing original are the motor and frame, most everything else has been replaced. Hopefully someone will appreciate what this bike has to offer.

I'm still a little concerned how the Spyder is gonna take to my canyon road. It's not horrible but it's in crummy shape most of the time, potholes, divits, ruts, loose gravel and rocks. AND my driveway is super-steep. I'll be asking about all this over on the Spyder forum so I'm sure they can guide me on my new journey as a Spyder Man :cool10:

Chu' talkin bout Willis - that Carol Burnett was ALWAYS one of my favorites!! Matter of fact - Tip n I were watching her and Red Skelton the other night!! WOWZY the memories!!

Speaking of WOWZY - sounds like you are about to make quite move their Flied Lice!! I been running a bit behind as of late and just trying to get caught up on some of all the changes taking place around here and noticed this.. Have ridden on Carls Spyder and checked out Pauls (Pegasus1300's) in Sturgis as he mentioned - both awesome machines!!

What ever you decide to do - ol Half Tube wishes you nothing but the best with it brother!!!! :thumbsup:

Took the plunge and put a deposit down on a pearl red RT Limited. Picking up Tuesday or Wednesday so still time to back out. Nervous as hell, never had anything like this but I do keep hearing from folks who are thinking about it. There was a guy at the dealer getting a Quad Runner or similar and he said he and his wife are seriously considering trading their Harley for one.

They had a Slingshot that someone had traded so glad I got to see one, but not my cup of joe. Reminded me of the kit cars they had in the 70s.

Still only one bite on the Venture but I listed it on two local CGs today so hopefully there'll be some interest out there. About the only thing original are the motor and frame, most everything else has been replaced. Hopefully someone will appreciate what this bike has to offer.

I'm still a little concerned how the Spyder is gonna take to my canyon road. It's not horrible but it's in crummy shape most of the time, potholes, divits, ruts, loose gravel and rocks. AND my driveway is super-steep. I'll be asking about all this over on the Spyder forum so I'm sure they can guide me on my new journey as a Spyder Man :cool10:

Yep, the thought crossed my mind as I was horizontal. Your 2 wheels can navigate a lot of bumps and jumps that the three wheels might have a bit of a problem with. You only have 4.5 inches of clearance on the Spyder, so you'll want to be careful how you deal with a bump or deep pot hole. Marca & I like to ride the back roads in the Kawarthas, and some of them can be problematic, was so on 2 wheels, but with three wheels it changed the dynamics somewhat. Didn't ever have to turn around, but had to back up occasionally to take a different approach. Your bike will navigate 12 inches easily enough, the Spyder is over 5 feet. It will take the hills just fine I think, never an issue there. Also, it's a belt drive and belts aren't known to have a liking for rocks. I have sent a few small stones through the system, and so far they have just went 'crunch!!!' but you just never know. There is a belt protector available, but it doesn't seal the area off perfectly. Good long mudflaps on the front seemed to have helped with less stones.

Still working on pictures.

Chu' talkin bout Willis - that Carol Burnett was ALWAYS one of my favorites!! Matter of fact - Tip n I were watching her and Red Skelton the other night!! WOWZY the memories!!

Speaking of WOWZY - sounds like you are about to make quite move their Flied Lice!! I been running a bit behind as of late and just trying to get caught up on some of all the changes taking place around here and noticed this.. Have ridden on Carls Spyder and checked out Pauls (Pegasus1300's) in Sturgis as he mentioned - both awesome machines!!

What ever you decide to do - ol Half Tube wishes you nothing but the best with it brother!!!! :thumbsup:

Thought you was mad wit me for deserting the world of gravity-seeking two-wheeled flame throwers!! Thanks for the well wishes, my little 160 lb boney-arsed self just has too hard a time of it keeping the big girl upright so figured I'd try sommat a little less dropsey. Pics to come, stay tuned. Now all I need to do is find someone who makes heated enclosures for the Spydie and I can come visit cha!! Long live the Half Pipe:missingtooth:

Yep, the thought crossed my mind as I was horizontal. Your 2 wheels can navigate a lot of bumps and jumps that the three wheels might have a bit of a problem with. You only have 4.5 inches of clearance on the Spyder, so you'll want to be careful how you deal with a bump or deep pot hole. Marca & I like to ride the back roads in the Kawarthas, and some of them can be problematic, was so on 2 wheels, but with three wheels it changed the dynamics somewhat. Didn't ever have to turn around, but had to back up occasionally to take a different approach. Your bike will navigate 12 inches easily enough, the Spyder is over 5 feet. It will take the hills just fine I think, never an issue there. Also, it's a belt drive and belts aren't known to have a liking for rocks. I have sent a few small stones through the system, and so far they have just went 'crunch!!!' but you just never know. There is a belt protector available, but it doesn't seal the area off perfectly. Good long mudflaps on the front seemed to have helped with less stones.

Still working on pictures.

Haven't even taken delivery but ordered a bunch of stuff last night, including a bump skid, air bag rock guard and belt guard. Didn't know they had mud flaps so that's next on the list. Wonder if there's a lift or air shocks available to get a little more ground clearance when I need it? Mainly for the front, hopefully the rear air bag is all you need in back. Fun stuff!

:canada:

Haven't even taken delivery but ordered a bunch of stuff last night, including a bump skid, air bag rock guard and belt guard. Didn't know they had mud flaps so that's next on the list. Wonder if there's a lift or air shocks available to get a little more ground clearance when I need it? Mainly for the front, hopefully the rear air bag is all you need in back. Fun stuff!

:canada:

Saddlebum helped me fashion my own front flaps. Got to careful not to use too heavy of a product or dragging on rough country could crack the fender.

Maybe some picture later today.

That would be great, no hurry and thanks again.

I ride the 998cc VTwin and I have never had an issue with keeping up with anybody at any legal speed. Even fully loaded. Yes it does have to be reved up to get the most out of it. Although a VTwin it is not a Harley and does not perform well if short shifted. Shift at 6000 and you are good to go. Redlines at 9500. 3 cylinder does get better mileage and doesn't need to rev. Both are good for 100k or more.